• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scope for CZ 457 pro varmint

Which scope should I buy?

• Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24X50 FFP

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Element HELIX 6-24×50 FFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Athlon ARGOS BTR GEN2 6-24×50 APLR2 FFP

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Arken SH4 6-24X50 GEN2 FFP MIL VPR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Otherr

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

nightpoison

NES Member
So I'm about to buy a new rifle and I'll need a scope to go along with it. Optics is an area I have little experience with. I understand the tech, but I have no experience with using any other than my Nikon P22 that sits on my 10/22. So just looking for some recommendations.

The scope will be on a CZ 457 pro varmint. It will be used for general plinking and hope to get out and participate in some PRS Rimfire events or other such events.

I'll be shooting regularly at 50 to 100 yards at my home range, but what the events I will attend will have for course of fire will depend. My understanding is 50 to 200 is the average, but could be more. I have no idea

I'm interested in hitting the $1200 production price point, mainly to cap my initial budget. Reading so many other forums I usually find the most common response is to just go Open class and buy a better scope. Well, I don't want to spend more. This is my budget for this build. Its just an excuse for future builds.

here are some of the more common scopes recommend that I'm interested in. They all appear to be quility for the money, solid builds, and good warranties. I'm leaning towards the Vortex, for warranty and name. It's probably the common recommendation in the range. The Element appears to be another solid option followed by the Athlon. The Arken is the new kid on the block with mixed reviews. They seem to be pushing the brand on YouTube with a lot of sponsorships. It's intriguing.

what are your thoughts. Select you top option from the list or add your own in a comment. If you want sort them in the order you would buy.

Last edited:
What distances will you be shooting at? I have an SWFA SS 10x42 on my 455, works good. My eyes are getting iffier lately, and I'm probably going to switch up to the 20x42

What distances will you be shooting at? I have an SWFA SS 10x42 on my 455, works good. My eyes are getting iffier lately, and I'm probably going to switch up to the 20x42
I'll be shooting regularly at 50 to 100 yards, but what the events I will attend will have for course of fire will depend. My understanding is 50 to 200 is the average, but could be more. I have no idea

I'll be shooting regularly at 50 to 100 yards, but what the events I will attend will have for course of fire will depend. My understanding is 50 to 200 is the average, but could be more. I have no idea
question is more complex. the simpler lighter 3-9x and 4-12x scopes may not have parallax adjustment.
if all you want will be under 100yds - it will not be an issue, only a slight inconvenience.

the cz 457 is very accurate, so, whatever you will get - you will want to be able to see your impacts on a splash target, most likely. at same time, it makes no sense to put an extra heavy glass on a .22lr rig.

then it is a topic of how much to spend.

the cheapest 'real' scope with all features and a zero stop is a $250 Primary Arms SLx 4-14x44mm FFP - you would need to order some shims to make zero stop work. it is not a great scope by any measure, but it works. glass is on par with diamondback vortexes. i have it on my CZ now, and plan to take it off to replace with a 3-18x scope from same PA - i just find its reticle too beefy and the cross section obstructs too much of the target i want to aim at.

a 5-25x scope there would be an overkill - so you would need to do some research and correlate your budget to available features. if you plan shooting at 200yds or even more - a zero stop would be a very smart thing to have, and you will need a parallax focus as well.

all your 6-24x scopes are heavy and too much to be practical, i think. especially arken - it`s a brick. this rifle is a joy to shoot handheld - you want a long _enough_ scope, but it needs to be light.

ideally something like this above, but with a 18x and zero stop would be a good match. i do not see one on sale nowhere now.

if your budget is open - then get the 3-18x swarovski. it is light and is perfect for that use case - z5.

PS. plus the only arken to have now is this one - i received it and it waits for a 6 Dasher rig to arrive to rule on it. a very good scope and great glass, but, also a brick - almost twice of weight of PA 4-14x44.

Last edited:
I shoot at 50 yards for my league. 10x is perfect for good eyes. 20x would be better. I liked fixed, and for me, anything over 20x is to much because I've developed a jitter in my hands, and the scope amplifies it, even using bags. Good bags are key as well.

You can get great glass for under that budget, and the money would be better spent on getting good match ammo.

I shoot at 50 yards for my league. 10x is perfect for good eyes. 20x would be better. I liked fixed, and for me, anything over 20x is to much because I've developed a jitter in my hands, and the scope amplifies it, even using bags. Good bags are key as well.

You can get great glass for under that budget, and the money would be better spent on getting good match ammo.
10x at 100 will not render the bullet hole in the target. at 12x i also can barely see it, 14x is ok. depends upon eyes, of course.
the diamondback i posted above has parallax, so, it may actually work out fine at 100. the one i have in 4-12x does not have parallax, and it is a big minus.

10x at 100 will not render the bullet hole in the target. at 12x i also can barely see it, 14x is ok. depends upon eyes, of course.
the diamondback i posted above has parallax, so, it may actually work out fine at 100. the one i have in 4-12x does not have parallax, and it is a big minus.
From the upcoming schedule there will be some stages that could go out to 400 yards. I've shot out to 200 with my 2-7x and at max I wanted more magnification.

I understand your point regarding weight being a concern. However, I'm not sure how much will be off hand, as from my understanding most will be off barricades, bipod or other perch.

From the upcoming schedule there will be some stages that could go out to 400 yards. I've shot out to 200 with my 2-7x and at max I wanted more magnification.

I understand your point regarding weight being a concern. However, I'm not sure how much will be off hand, as from my understanding most will be off barricades, bipod or other perch.
If you want a 25x scope- then this is a good deal:

Or the Arken ep5

If you want a 25x scope- then this is a good deal:

Or the Arken ep5
While the viper seems to be the go to most recommended scope out there it's also not part of my budget for multiple reasons. As I said in my original post I want to keep the rifle and scope under the $1200 for the production class rules. Not because I inherently want to shoot production, but because I want to budget myself.

If I don't, I'll say f#@& it and buy a CZ varmint precision or Bergara B14r, with a viper, strike eagle, or similar such scope. Then end up dropping more on a MDT chassis, and the shit just keeps rolling. Don't get me wrong I'm not opposed to that, and all of that will make a fine setup for next time.

For now the Scopes above or similar scope sub $500 is where I need to be.

Last edited:
the Scopes above or similar scope sub $500 is where I need to be.
there is nothing there with 25x and illuminated reticles and zero stop that would be great.
if the only choice left is between athlon and arken - arken has much better turrets.

I have a Viper PST 2 3x15 44 with Larue quick detach rings and I bounce it between my CZ457V. and my Rem 700. It's lights out and moving it to the .308 is simple and fast. The scope is far more capable than even the best match .22 ammo. The scope is far more than I need for the .22 but perfect for the .308 and since it covers two rifles, I average the cost and justify it. YMMV.

there is nothing there with 25x and illuminated reticles and zero stop that would be great.
if the only choice left is between athlon and arken - arken has much better turrets.

I'm not necessarily looking for Great. Great is the Viper, Awesome would be the razer or a Nightforce scope. I'm looking for a good .22 scope. I know I'm making compromises and I've justified that for myself, and I accept that. For my budget and what I'm looking to do. These are more or less the best options.

Why do I need illuminated? I've used red dots and the illumination has always been fuzzy, wouldn't a non illuminated scope offer crisper cross hair?

I'm not necessarily looking for Great. Great is the Viper, Awesome would be the razer or a Nightforce scope. I'm looking for a good .22 scope. I know I'm making compromises and I've justified that for myself, and I accept that. For my budget and what I'm looking to do. These are more or less the best options.

Why do I need illuminated? I've used red dots and the illumination has always been fuzzy, wouldn't a non illuminated scope offer crisper cross hair?
illuminated sometimes can help at longer distance targets with low contrast if reticle blends in, but, of course it is optional. just a feature.
good luck with your choices - make sure to post here what you will find.

from what i can see people seem to like arken more in that segment. but those older arkens had somewhat compromised waterproofing.

as a matter of fact i just swapped scopes around my guns this morning and rezeroed them all - took the PA 3-18x from 308, moved it to the CZ 457, set 308 on a 1-6x vortex.
and tht SLx 3-18x fits CZ very nicely. there is no zero stop on it, but, the 18x worked very nice at 100yds, i could drill shots into a same bullethole and see it too.

Amazon has had some great prices lately on the Athlon Argos MOA model. Last week it dropped to $320 for a few days, and then went up to about $350. It's back to $320 as of this post. I picked one up last week, and it's a lot of scope for the money!

Screenshot 2022-05-13 190338.png

Something to consider if you plan to stretch out to 300 yards - you'll want to install a 30 MOA rail, which will add another $100 to your build. I have a MKII Pro Varmint setup I like to shoot at longer ranges, and with HV ammo I need to dial in 45 minutes of elevation for direct hold at 300 yards. With a 20 MOA rail and the Athlon NEOS I have on the rifle, I actually run out of elevation when shooting CCI SV at that range and have to use 3-4 minutes of holdover.

Last edited:
So I'm about to buy a new rifle and I'll need a scope to go along with it. Optics is an area I have little experience with. I understand the tech, but I have no experience with using any other than my Nikon P22 that sits on my 10/22. So just looking for some recommendations.

The scope will be on a CZ 457 pro varmint. It will be used for general plinking and hope to get out and participate in some PRS Rimfire events or other such events.

I'll be shooting regularly at 50 to 100 yards at my home range, but what the events I will attend will have for course of fire will depend. My understanding is 50 to 200 is the average, but could be more. I have no idea

I'm interested in hitting the $1200 production price point, mainly to cap my initial budget. Reading so many other forums I usually find the most common response is to just go Open class and buy a better scope. Well, I don't want to spend more. This is my budget for this build. Its just an excuse for future builds.

here are some of the more common scopes recommend that I'm interested in. They all appear to be quility for the money, solid builds, and good warranties. I'm leaning towards the Vortex, for warranty and name. It's probably the common recommendation in the range. The Element appears to be another solid option followed by the Athlon. The Arken is the new kid on the block with mixed reviews. They seem to be pushing the brand on YouTube with a lot of sponsorships. It's intriguing.

what are your thoughts. Select you top option from the list or add your own in a comment. If you want sort them in the order you would buy.
.....Meopta....Czech rifle...Czech scope.Great glass ,great design, great price.Optika 5 2.5-10x42 or optika 6

.....Meopta....Czech rifle...Czech scope.Great glass ,great design, great price.Optika 5 2.5-10x42 or optika 6
I'm still on the market for the scope. I've seen Meopta, but I haven't given it much thought. Mainly cause I have never seen it reviewed or suggested.

Back
Top Bottom