• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scope recommendation for 22lr

Just bought a Bergara B-14R, a 22lr trainer imitating their centerfire B-14 lineup. Thinking about putting a scope on it for mid/long range use. budget about $500-600 all included(scope+ring+base). So far the candidates are:
Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x40 FFP. Seems to be quite popular among 22lr users. around $350 new.
Crimson Trace 3-series 4-20x50 FFP. Currently 50% off on midway, word is that it's coming from the same factory building Nightforce(super high-end stuff I believe), so the glass is supposed to be much better than Vortex. $450 new.

Personally prefer the EBR-2C reticle more than the crimson trace one, but I can work with either. Weight is not much an issue. Rifle is already at 8lbs so it's a heavy haul anyways.

Any suggestions appreciated.

FWIW Joe Rhea, aka ‘Cyclops Videos’ on YouTube, does some great scope tests & reviews; he separates them by price ranges ...

Dont make my mistakes
Know what your goals are,
Long distance 100+ yards more than under 100 make sure you have some decent scope adjustment.
Zero stop - kicking myself for not buying something with Zero stop function.
Good turrets if your going to be dialing vs reticle holds....be sure you like your reticle

at your price range look for some NOS of the “best” scopes from a few seasons ago.

Know your end use and expectation

NOTE: be sure to know any rules for any “games” you might play in. Theres plenty of different restrictions from weight, magnification limits, price and su

dont get fooled by max Magnification
You want clear high resolution something that you loose at higher magnification with less expensive scopes.
You want a scope with at least 80moa combined adjustment.

i say save for a little while longer and up your budget.
There are a lot of nice scopes out there. Try to get behind some before you buy

i really like my sightron SIII 8x32x54 other than no zero stop.

Last edited:
I just ordered the Diamondback from Brownells. Cheapest price I found at $359.00
both brownells and midway have had some great deals on scopes. Lots of NOS . I have been tempted but rather stock on ammo/reloading stuff.
plus i have a few projects to finish up.

Back
Top Bottom