• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scope recommendation for RPR .22lr

Just picked up a ruger precision .22lr and now I’m in need of a scope. I don’t need anything fancy but I’d like to be able to have the option to shoot out to 150yds (if that’s even possible). Looking for variable power and illumination is not a necessity.

I dont really understand optic pricing. Im super new to fire arms still just having pistols/shotguns for the last several years. Im picking up a 10/22 for my son and want some type of optic more than just a cheap red dot and pricing is literally $50 to $1000... I dont wnat to spend more than $200 either

I have one on my RPR. It shoots CCI Std. Velocity very nicely if I do my part out to 100yds and beyond. They also have one for HV

Not bad for around $160 +/- Good reviews for 22 Plinkster

HAWKE VANTAGE IR 3-9x40
RIMFIRE .22 (SUBSONIC) RETICLE​

Code: 14 223
Bar Code: 5054492142231
Hawke_Riflescope_Vantage_IR_3-9x40_reverse.jpg

Good price point and more than you'll ever need.
I’m putting that v plex rimfire reticle on my daughters .22 Ruger soon

Last edited:
Just picked up a ruger precision .22lr and now I’m in need of a scope. I don’t need anything fancy but I’d like to be able to have the option to shoot out to 150yds (if that’s even possible). Looking for variable power and illumination is not a necessity.
Give these guys a call, ask for Doug. He usually has some open box stuff, or some older models that he'll sell on the cheap. Just tell him what you're looking for. I got a good scope off him last year for a 22, around $130 with a lifetime warranty. Good people too.

Chinese 💩
The Copperhead series is manufactured in China
The Strike Eagle series is also manufactured in China
The Diamondback scopes are produced in China
Diamondback Tactical scopes are manufactured in the China

Just thinking chicom 💩 makes me [puke2]

Last edited:

Chinese 💩
The Strike Eagle series is also manufactured in China
The Diamondback scopes are produced in China
Diamondback Tactical scopes are manufactured in the China

Just thinking chicom 💩 makes me [puke2]
For $200 budget thats really the option though

I went the other way in terms of cost... I put an Athlon Cronus BTR on my son's CZ 457. Those 22lr holes are small, and I want good glass to see those holes :)

A 40x scope on a .22lr Ruger would be a statement.
Its nice if the glass , resolution and clarity are any good.
I often mount my 8x32x54 sightron siii on my remington 513t for 200 yard fun.
On 32X its pretty good fun at 200

150/200 yards is very possible with a decent set up and better than bulk ammo.

You really have to keep end use in mind.
What are you trying to do?
Are you just trying to hit 10” plates?
Are you looking to shot X ring and hold the smallest groups possible?

Are you going to be dialing in elevation adjustments alot at random distances
You might want zero stop capabilities

Be mindful of how much adjustment the scope has. A 20 moa rail will come in handy.

If you zero your scope for 25 yards your going to need aprox 20moa to get 150 yard zero. That will use up what ever adjustment you have on most cheap scopes.

Find some 22lr slingers and use as many set ups as you can.

Mueller 8x32x40 mildot scope $250 is not a bad scope for $250. Its very lacking in over all turret adjustment. Some what light indexing on the turrets.
Will absolutely need some MOA rails or Burris signature rings with moa inserts to go past 100 yards

For 100 yard steel plate plinking I have one of those 3x7x32 bushnell “AR” scopes. Works great for that.

For all the random utilitarian 22s its usually just 4 or 6x fixed scopes zeroed for around 75 yards and just point and shoot anything from 20-75 yards.

Last edited:
Its nice if the glass , resolution and clarity are any good.
I often mount my 8x32x54 sightron siii on my remington 513t for 200 yard fun.
On 32X its pretty good fun at 200
A Barska 10-40x at $140 - I will never know if it is good resolution and clarify wise, most likely.

There was a video online of a gal shooting a chicken egg standing upright with my 457 cz. Anything is doable, with skill.

So funny btw - this wunderscope is on sale now, with a minus $20 savings.
Hilarious
09495271-E011-476E-ADEF-CFBCD17FF761.png

Last edited:
A Barska 10-40x at $140 - I will never know if it is good resolution and clarify wise, most likely.

There was a video online of a gal shooting a chicken egg standing upright with my 457 cz. Anything is doable, with skill.

Hilarious
View attachment 549430
Ugh , the front bell parallax adjustment gets old quick. Especially if your changing distance often/quickly.
You will know when you crank it past 15x and the image goes to shit and the edges get all cloudy/dark/distorted

I dont really understand optic pricing. Im super new to fire arms still just having pistols/shotguns for the last several years. Im picking up a 10/22 for my son and want some type of optic more than just a cheap red dot and pricing is literally $50 to $1000... I dont wnat to spend more than $200 either
What type of shooting are you planing on doing.
If your going to just plink at 25 yards for a while a inexpensive 4X or 6X scope will do.

Ugh , the front bell parallax adjustment gets old quick. Especially if your changing distance often/quickly.
You will know when you crank it past 15x and the image goes to shit and the edges get all cloudy/dark/distorted
Eurooptic still has some viper pst2 5-25x scopes on close out for $669 - probably still a best deal for a decent glass online.

Hilarious
View attachment 549430
Heres a decent scope -$200
Just be warned parallax only goes down to 50 yards.
Amazon product ASIN B019KDSRBGView: https://www.amazon.com/Burris-Optics-Fullfield-Riflescope-4-5-14x42mm/dp/B019KDSRBG/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=1S3HB3124E4MY&keywords=rifle+scope&qid=1638841529&refinements=p_36%3A1253558011&rnid=386589011&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=rifle+scope%2Caps%2C78&sr=1-4

Diamondback is quite better than that burris.

I kinda still kick myself- they had several long range razors there at huge discounts, but not anymore.

Diamondback is quite better than that burris.

I kinda still kick myself- they had several long range razors there at huge discounts, but not anymore.
I cant argue that…at that price point its a crap shoot with any scope
What I dont like about Vortex ( its been a few years since I put my eyes through a vortex) the reticles all appear gray to me almost translucent Not a crisp black.

Back
Top Bottom