Scope recommendations for Ruger 10/22

Well, as the title states, I'm looking for a decent optic to throw on one of my Ruger 10/22s. Now, before anyone says it... I know, make a Liberty Training Rifle, etc... That project is already in the works [wink]

First let me state that I don't have much experience with optics... so with that out of the way:

I'd like the scope to have variable magnification, 2.5 or 4x - 10 or 16x would be ideal I suppose, but I'm open to suggestions.

Also, it would be nice if it could pull double duty if needed... meaning it could be placed on another rifle and used at longer distaces; so it has to be able to withstand more recoil than just a .22... .308 maybe but no larger.

Finally, I simply can't afford something like a IOR, S&B etc right now, so unless you have one you're looking to sell on the cheap, don't bother [laugh]

If I can get a pretty decent scope that will fulfill the 'double duty' role, I think I could swing up to about $500, but I'd like to stay below that if possible.

If the 'double duty' role isn't realistic, I'd like to spend considerably less than $500. This rifle will be used for tree rats, other lawn vermin and paper punching out to 100 yards for the most part.

Am I asking too much? What route do you guys recommend?

For the record, just poking around, not knowing much about scopes, I noticed the Bushnell 4200 series but haven't heard too much about them. I looked at Super Sniper briefly, but figured I should ask some shooters with more experience than me for assistance before I went too crazy.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I picked up a Weaver K7 off of ebay for mine, but the eye relief is a little off on it - I'm trying to find a new rail that I can shift it about an inch or so forward. Nickle's got a Weaver T8 on his, I think, which works out great.

Go Nikon

I have Nikon NK 6313's (prostaff) on both my .22lr rifles. They're 3-9x50, and very clear. They're about $200 at Dick's Sporting Goods, and very clear. I wouldn't see a problem moving them to a .308 rifle.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I think I'm going to go with the Mueller APV and use it as a dedicated 10/22 scope as it seems to have all the features I was looking for... The price is certainly right.

Anyone have a suggestion for a set of rings?

Jr, what're the specs on that second rifle pictured?

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I think I'm going to go with the Mueller APV and use it as a dedicated 10/22 scope as it seems to have all the features I was looking for... The price is certainly right.

Anyone have a suggestion for a set of rings?

Jr, what're the specs on that second rifle pictured?

Ruger 10/22 with a Butler Creek 20" Stainless fluted .920 barrel on a Hogue stock. Volquartsen extractor, enhanced mag release, and extended bolt catch. Plus the Nikon NK 6313 scope, and not pictured a Harris Bipod 1A2-BR.

Well, here's the final order:

Mueller APV
Burris Signature Zee Rings
Power Custom Weaver base mount

Hopefully have some pics of the whole shebang towards the end of the week. I have some goodies coming in tomorrow or Wednesday and then the scope parts later this week. Can't wait to try it out!

For anyone interested, the rest of the parts include:

Green Mountain 20" stainless fluted barrel
Hogue Overmold Stock in Black
Harris Bi-pod
Power Custom Hammer

Should be a pretty sweet shooter when it all finally gets here!

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Get us a pic when you get her all set up... I have decided not to toss a scope on my 10/22 until I have had some more time with it. That being said I have a simple scope to drop on it as soon as I feel its time.

Get us a pic when you get her all set up... I have decided not to toss a scope on my 10/22 until I have had some more time with it. That being said I have a simple scope to drop on it as soon as I feel its time.

Buy a second 10/22 and build one of each! That's what I'm in the midst of [smile] For $130, why not get a second... third... etc? One LTR, One Precision paper puncher, One Krinker Plinker... it's like having multiple ARs, only cheaper. [wink][laugh]

Back
Top Bottom