• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scope suggestion

Mbous

NES Member
I just placed an order with my local gun shop for a savage FCP-10 in .308 Win. I'm trying to figure out what scope to buy. I'm probably going to mostly be target shooting but I might also use it for hunting in the future. My local range only goes out to 300 yards. I don't think I'll be shooting past that any time soon.

I don't want to spend more than about $800. I've been looking at Vortex and Leupold scopes but not sure on which reticle I should get or the power on it. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Look on Ebay for any of the scopes you want.
I put a Bushnell 3x9x50 with firefly ret. on mine (hunting mostly) but I can ding the plate at 500yrs with it.
Very happy with it.
Leupold is good, but I replaced my Varx ii with the bushnell.
Best part. I spent less than $200. Ebay rules for used but great scopes

3x9 will be VERY practical for those distances and that caliber. i personally just bought an SWFA SS3x9 and it it one of the clearest, most well built scopes i have ever seen in the under $600 range. i'm mounting it with a Burris PEPR mount.

Try to look through and try out as much glass as you can.
Between hunting and target shooting you can have a broad range.
My old leupold vxIII 3x9x32 with old school range finding 30/30 reticle scope is still one of my favorites.
I have come to like the hawke brand scopes also for that sub 500$ range.
I been eye balling the vortex front focal plane mil dot scope for a while.
So much out there.

I ended up ordering the SWFA SS 3-15x42. I'm planning on having Dark Horse gunsmithing mount the scope and bed the action. When I called today they said it would probably be 2-4 weeks turn around once they had everything.

I ended up ordering the SWFA SS 3-15x42. I'm planning on having Dark Horse gunsmithing mount the scope and bed the action. When I called today they said it would probably be 2-4 weeks turn around once they had everything.

You don't need to bed the action for what you doing, it's a waste of time and money and you won't notice the difference anyways. BTW, you can do it yourself and is fairly simple and much cheaper. Just make sure you properly mount the scope, proper torque for both the base and rings and proper mounting of the optic. If you are local Southshore I would do it for free for you and you will have it back in 1-2 days.

You could give the Burris Signature rings a shot with the inserts:

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch the nutnfancy video on AR scopes. I know people dont love him AND you are not getting an AR, BUT the video has over 20 models listed between 200-600 dollars and he explains WHY recommends the models that he does. Anyone who watches his videos knows he has very tight tolerances and actually says what he thinks about products, unlike most youtubers ("I cant say anything bad about this sigma because then SW will sending me free T&E guns"). With all that said I have heard great things about the nikon prostaff scopes and they are incredibly affordable.

You don't need to bed the action for what you doing, it's a waste of time and money and you won't notice the difference anyways. BTW, you can do it yourself and is fairly simple and much cheaper. Just make sure you properly mount the scope, proper torque for both the base and rings and proper mounting of the optic. If you are local Southshore I would do it for free for you and you will have it back in 1-2 days.

I purchased the weaver torque screw driver. Works well and has shown I have been way over tightening my rings! I never gave it much though. Although now most manufactures supply torque specs with their products. Not so much 20 years ago.
If your weary about bedding your own action practice on a old 22.
I had several that the actions floated around in the stocks. Bedding improved accuracy on those. I never bedded a new rifle though. The ones I have done all where loose in the old stocks.

When I was zeroing it a couple of months ago it was great. Now I just have to get some time to hit the range again to really play with it. The first time I only brought 20 rounds because I grabbed the wrong box with my ammo. The scope was wonderful so far, I have some metal targets I'm planning on shooting at. I really want to get on to the 200/300 yard range at my club, last time I was there it was a mess on all the ranges with the mud, got my car stuck trying to drive to the 100 yard rifle range. I'll try and post a pic of the rifle and some targets if I get the chance.

The scope is working great so far. I've been having an issue with seeing the reticle but I think that's more I need my prescription on my eye glasses updated. I also need to add a cheekpad and work on getting the proper eye relief. Sometimes the reticle was clear other times I could barely see it and that was with not changing any settings on the scope, just my eye position.

The rifle looks good. I see you got the extra mags for it too. Did you have to pay $100 a pop or did you find a better deal?

I paid $185 for 2 ten rounders. Best deal I could find, Savage wants $50 a piece for 4 round mags and has been out of stock for a while on their site.

Had to be on a waiting list for the mags and the guy charges extra for credit cards and paypal because they charge him a fee (according to him). I sent a post office money order and recieved the mags quickly. The shop is in Watkins Glen NY

Attachments

• Savage 308 shot grouping 1.jpg
    Savage 308 shot grouping 1.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom