• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scrap lead question....

I foolishly tried to recycle cable ends and old batteries...........dont do it. stick with wheel weights. I also hit up some body shops that have been in business for many many years and scored a few hundred pounds of lead from the days they used lead to repair body pannels. it was very soft and worked well for lead balls for black powder. lynel type, spelling ??? lead from a few old print shops in my area before they went under. When metals includeing lead went sky high 1.5 years ago alot of the local lead went to the scrap yards for top dollar. I also look for old sail boats rotting away in storage areas and back yards and look for the lead used for ballast.

I used old car batterys many years ago but don't do it unless you have a great desire to go shopping for a seeing eye dog. Newer batteries have stuff in them that reacts even worse than lead to any moisture.I think calcium is one but I can't remember. Don't do it.

I'm not sure if the acid is the main problem as much as the corrosive salts that form. There's probably a lot of that stuff that you wouldn't want to dunk in a pot of molten lead.

Not wanting to contaminate the pot (which affects everything that ever goes into it forevermore) is one thing. Not wanting to contaminate my fine gun barrel with the same salts and corrosive crap is more my issue with it.

I'm not sure if the acid is the main problem as much as the corrosive salts that form. There's probably a lot of that stuff that you wouldn't want to dunk in a pot of molten lead.

Back
Top Bottom