SDR radios... pretty cool.

There's SDR software to decode other data packets, including temperature monitors, garage door openers, etc.

With some effort and the right antenna, you can pick up the NOAA satellites as they pass overhead and get your own satellite weather maps! [tinfoil]

So the data packets have the current reading, not the current load. I relay the readings into a database and run a report that identifies those patterns. It's pretty easy to tell when someone takes a shower, etc...
Granularity of the data is generally 5 minutes, so if you want privacy you need to start taking shorter showers (or get a well and a big storage tank).

There's SDR software to decode other data packets, including temperature monitors, garage door openers, etc.

With some effort and the right antenna, you can pick up the NOAA satellites as they pass overhead and get your own satellite weather maps! [tinfoil]

Granularity of the data is generally 5 minutes, so if you want privacy you need to start taking shorter showers (or get a well and a big storage tank).

You can also tune aircraft transponders, or get a dongle tuned for them. That gets you both local realtime and api access to ALL transponder data so you can track your loved ones even on commercial flights.

Most military aircraft and almost no alien spacecraft do not show up, though.

I'm currently putting together a list of materials to build one of these just for that purpose.

6bc98d763e82a423eb82397cc1b4fd13.jpg

I'm not using the copper coil as he suggest. Straightening that out to look good will be challenging. McMaster-Carr sells this copper tubing in straight lengths which will result in a nicer looking antenna. They also have the appropriate 90 degree copper fittings for that sized pipe - very hard to find those at the big box stores.

QFH, FTW, see photos 75-86. Example (John/AA1YE/G3BVU/SK):
DSC00087.JPG

Photos copyright Robert Schmeichel, treat him right.

I'm not using the copper coil as he suggest. Straightening that out to look good will be challenging. McMaster-Carr sells this copper tubing in straight lengths which will result in a nicer looking antenna. They also have the appropriate 90 degree copper fittings for that sized pipe - very hard to find those at the big box stores.
Thanks for the inside scoop

Yesterday, on impulse while browsing at HMO, I picked up an RSP1A unit and installed it with SDR-uno software and have had an absolute blast using it in the broadcast, VHF and UHF bands though my roof mounted Discone antenna! It pulls in all the signals clear as a bell! It also has scanning capabilities that I'm just getting into. And I can't wait to try out the HF capabilities on a longwire dipole. I paid a buck and a quarter for it at HMO though I think you can get it for less elsewhere. Still, this is one of the most satisfying purchases I've made in a very long time! I highly recommend it!!! Please let me know what your experience has been or if you have any set-up or application suggestions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom