• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Section 35 commitment - NICS - Petition for relief

I've heard of something called a petition for relief. I have no idea how to draft one pro se. As far as I know I was retroactively included in the 2014 law that mandated those involuntarily committed for substance abuse can't buy a gun anywhere in the country. I feel like the circumstances in which I was "a danger to myself or others" was flimsy at best, that point is obviously moot. Any guidance for a sober man who made some mistakes as young man and feels he should be able to buy a gun. I haven't gone to a dealer and filled out a 4473 to test it. I think even the person who petitioned for my commitment specifically asked if it would affect my firearms rights.

I don't live in Massachusetts. This does not pertain to an FID/LTC. This is about nationwide gun rights.

My hope was to draft a pro se legal document and file it with the court and see if the judge would issue an order without me having to fly to Massachusetts and stand before them.

If this is not possible, please let me know. But please try to help me get on a path towards removing this stain from my past.

Last edited:
922 G4 isn't "new as of 2014" but 922 g4 has a specific definition of involuntary commitment.... so if this person "petitioned" then some OFFICIAL board or other body granted it, then you're
up the creek, perhaps.

Did this happen in MA? If this incident occurred here you will probably need an MA firearms attorney regardless.

There is no fed relief from disabilities so you can pretty much forget about that avenue.

-Mike

There is no fed relief from disabilities so you can pretty much forget about that avenue.

I don't understand what you mean here. Fed relief? Disability? Avenue?

Are you saying that that my situation is hopeless and efforts futile? I wish you'd be more specific.

Last edited:
I don't understand what you mean here. Fed relief? Disability? Avenue?

Are you saying that that my situation is futile? I wish you'd be more specific.

What I'm saying is the feds don't take relief petitions from individuals; although thinking this through it wouldn't matter anyways because this is a state level thing (that triggers the fed prohibition) usually with mental health. You get rid of the trigger and the fed prohibition goes away. You're going to need an attorney in the state where it happened to have a chance of untangling this mess.... I would take Len's advice though and reach out to Comm2a first. At a bare minimum they might be able to direct you to an attorney that deals with this stuff.

-Mike

Last edited:
What I'm saying is the feds don't take relief petitions from individuals; although thinking this through it wouldn't matter anyways because this is a state level thing (that triggers the fed prohibition) usually with mental health. You get rid of the trigger and the fed prohibition goes away. You're going to need an attorney in the state where it happened to have a chance of untangling this mess.... I would take Len's advice though and reach out to Comm2a first. At a bare minimum they might be able to direct you to an attorney that deals with this stuff.

-Mike

Thank you very much. I understand. I appreciate your assistance.

Back
Top Bottom