• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Security camera systems, need help/advice

GPP

Hey not sure if this has already been covered ad nauseum, if so I apologize. Im looking at outdoor security cameras, a system that has hard drive recording, IR capability, and is hard wired. Looking at whats out there online, they all seem a bit cheap. What kind of cameras/system is considered the best? Most durable?

Hey not sure if this has already been covered ad nauseum, if so I apologize. Im looking at outdoor security cameras, a system that has hard drive recording, IR capability, and is hard wired. Looking at whats out there online, they all seem a bit cheap. What kind of cameras/system is considered the best? Most durable?
The best and most durable are not cheap. For an outdoor camera, look for at least IP66 (weatherproof) or better yet IP67 (waterproof). Speaking of weather, look at the operating conditions, many cameras aren't rated for cold, and few operate at temperatures below 14F. If you really want durability and cold weather operation, there are armored heated enclosures available.

Yep, ad nauseum.

Big box ones are junk. You get what you pay for.
1) CCTV -old standard
2) Cable -newer better
3) IP System -The way to go.

Prepare to spend at least $600 if you want something borderline good/useful.

Yep, ad nauseum.

Big box ones are junk. You get what you pay for.
1) CCTV -old standard
2) Cable -newer better
3) IP System -The way to go.

Prepare to spend at least $600 if you want something borderline good/useful.
Sorry about the ad nauseum. This is my problem it seems to me that $600 isnt nearly enough to get a quality unit. It just seems that a $70 camera isnt gonna cut it I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

The best and most durable are not cheap. For an outdoor camera, look for at least IP66 (weatherproof) or better yet IP67 (waterproof). Speaking of weather, look at the operating conditions, many cameras aren't rated for cold, and few operate at temperatures below 14F. If you really want durability and cold weather operation, there are armored heated enclosures available.
Are those model numbers?

What are you trying to accomplish? Is it just a general "I just want to see the perimeter of my house" or more specifically "if someones stealing my mail, I want 720p video of their face?". If it's the latter you're talking big money, depending on the area you're trying to cover and the amount of coverage you want. If I were to start building a system that I know I would be adding to over the next few years then I'd go with IP cameras. If not then get a boxed system and recognize its limitations. At night you're not likely to see much without supplementary lighting. Even in the day the quality is going to be so so, depending on just how you're recording the video. For my purposes a few webcams strategically pointed outside does the job for me, but if I had a bigger place I'd need to rethink it. At this point I just don't have the coin or need to start installing $500 cameras at home...yet.

Axis 720p IP camera
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881121122

What are you trying to accomplish? Is it just a general "I just want to see the perimeter of my house" or more specifically "if someones stealing my mail, I want 720p video of their face?". If it's the latter you're talking big money, depending on the area you're trying to cover and the amount of coverage you want. If I were to start building a system that I know I would be adding to over the next few years then I'd go with IP cameras. If not then get a boxed system and recognize its limitations. At night you're not likely to see much without supplementary lighting. Even in the day the quality is going to be so so, depending on just how you're recording the video. For my purposes a few webcams strategically pointed outside does the job for me, but if I had a bigger place I'd need to rethink it. At this point I just don't have the coin or need to start installing $500 cameras at home...yet.

Axis 720p IP camera
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881121122
Basically 4 cameras, ability to record, waterproof. IR would be great as well, but I have motion detector spotlights on the areas the cameras would cover. Id say the ability to get detail on a human face from roughly 25 feet is all Id need.

Basically 4 cameras, ability to record, waterproof. IR would be great as well, but I have motion detector spotlights on the areas the cameras would cover. Id say the ability to get detail on a human face from roughly 25 feet is all Id need.

If you want detail on someone's face then you're definitely looking at HD cameras. If I were you I'd pick up a mid range Axis or comparable IP camera and make sure it does what you need it to do before purchasing more. Also with some ambient light the higher end cameras look amazing at night.

Mine is like this:
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-1391-h540d4b-avemia-complete-4-channel-camera-surveillance-kit.aspx

It does what I want it to. Nice IR picture, hard-wired cameras, plenty of hard disk space, continuous loop recording. You're not going to read a license plate at 100 yards, but you can definitely see who is at your front door (and who might be hiding in the bushes), and you can play it back to watch the raccoon expertly invade the trash can full of bird seed on the porch during the previous night.

Mine is like this:
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-1391-h540d4b-avemia-complete-4-channel-camera-surveillance-kit.aspx

It does what I want it to. Nice IR picture, hard-wired cameras, plenty of hard disk space, continuous loop recording. You're not going to read a license plate at 100 yards, but you can definitely see who is at your front door (and who might be hiding in the bushes), and you can play it back to watch the raccoon expertly invade the trash can full of bird seed on the porch during the previous night.

Are those cameras wireless, or do you need to cable them directly to the DVR?

Are those cameras wireless, or do you need to cable them directly to the DVR?

They are hard wire. I ran them through the attic and down to a safe room, where I have the DVR and a monitor. The supplied cables are 100 ft long (i.e., plenty), and they supply power to the cameras as well as transmit the video.

They are hard wire. I ran them through the attic and down to a safe room, where I have the DVR and a monitor. The supplied cables are 100 ft long (i.e., plenty), and they supply power to the cameras as well as transmit the video.

Thanks for that info. Are the cables pre-terminated (with plug in connectors), or do you have to wire them to the cameras? I only ask because it would be easier in some situations if you could snake just the wire through a small hole rather than dealing with a connector, but it's not a deal breaker either way.

The cables came with all the connectors installed--they were obviously made that way, not crimped by somebody at the point of sale. Yes, you do have to drill a larger hole to snake them, but it's a matter of a 1/2" hole rather than a 1/4". Not a huge problem, especially if you're running them through non-living spaces like I did.

The cables came with all the connectors installed--they were obviously made that way, not crimped by somebody at the point of sale. Yes, you do have to drill a larger hole to snake them, but it's a matter of a 1/2" hole rather than a 1/4". Not a huge problem, especially if you're running them through non-living spaces like I did.

Yeah, you're right, its not that big of a deal, and I suppose makes setup more foolproof. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom