• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Seeking opinions - keeping your hobby "secret" from other parents

Ditto. I still remember coming home form oversees and going to my pop's hose and looking at his firearms he had a spectacular custom case built into the living room wall. He was a proud man and was happy to show us kids. We where proud to be allowed to touch and on those special times take some out back and shoot them. I remember while growing up talking to other kids about hunting and shooting. My dad used to walk to school and he along with many others at hos school ( it is even in southern NJ ) took there rifles and shotguns to school so they could hunt on the way to and from school. They where even allowed to keep them in there lockers. Though not everybody had lockers so those students put them in the corner of the classroom during school. These days a picture of a firearm can get a kid suspended or worse. Amazing to me is something that played such a huge part in both the founding but the life of almost every person that settled this country then supported the majority of the country for so long is now thought of as a evil item. It is was not for the firearm we would subjects of the king if we existed at all.

Up until the mid to late 1980s a lot of Massachusetts schools still had rifle teams, and I'm talking eastern Mass. not western Mass.

Yup, they'll find them anyway. Kid's senses are amazing. My daughter (not yet three) came out with the chilling statement a while back of "Daddy, here's your gun" while rooting in the closet.

After my heart started beating again and the blackness left my vision, I realized she was holding my mini gunvault (locked) for me. Anyone else probably would have thought it was a book, but I guess she's seen me put the handgun in and out of it enough to understand.

Even if I wanted to hide my guns from my daughter, I doubt I'd be successful. Heck, I can't even hide them from the wife. LOL

I want my grandkids to understand and respect firearms.

I think it's important for kids to feel safe and protected, and knowing that the adults in their lives take their protection seriously, is helpful to them (at least to my grandkids).

Back
Top Bottom