Seeking thoughts on shot results from changing technique.

Paleoman

NES Member
Hi!

I'm a relatively new shooter (6months). Been taking classes and practicing at the range. Each week I work on different skills and different distances. My shot placement has been getting progressively better, thought I'd still have some shots at 7-8 o'clock.

I'm cross dominant, right handed, left eye. Up to now, I usd a isosceles arm position, with feet even, and close my right eye. On the last range trip, I decided to try using both eyes. I've tried before and just didn't have success. Either double vision, or I'd have to cant the gun, but nevertheless, my shot placement was horrible.

However, I read a book that suggested using both eyes, but turning my head a bit, instead of tilting my head or canting the gun. It also mentioned moving my right foot back a bit, so that it was a step behind the left.

I gave it a whirl. At times, I neede to squint my right eye for a second to help (and then unsquint to shoot). My shots were way better than other attempts at using both eyes, but, ALL of the shots were between 2-4 o'clock (at varying distances from the bulleye, but none to the left of the bullseye).

So, I was wondering what is happening? Am I possibly turning my hips some, or doing something that is changing the sight alignment/picture?

Thanks!

I'd recommend staying with isosceles. Both eyes open is fine as long as you can learn to control your eyes' convergence and focus separately, which is a learned skill. Closing an eye would probably be easier at this point. Forget about stance and canting the gun, none of that matters. Do some dry fire practice to work on a smooth continuous straight back trigger pull without disrupting the sights, then in live fire make a conscious decision to hold the sights on target until the shot breaks.

In short, if your gun is sighted in and your shots are off, you're flinching.

As you move your right foot back, you shift the gun to the right. Your muscles have to correct for this. It seems like a losing battle if you still hit right. Just put some tape on your shooting glasses over your dominant (left) eye and keep both eyes open using your right eye and see what happens...

Foot position, hips etc having nothing to do with keeping your sights on target until the shot breaks. I would keep you head straight, your gun straight and your trigger pull straight back. If you can keep both open, great. If you can't no big deal

I'd recommend staying with isosceles. Both eyes open is fine as long as you can learn to control your eyes' convergence and focus separately, which is a learned skill. Closing an eye would probably be easier at this point. Forget about stance and canting the gun, none of that matters. Do some dry fire practice to work on a smooth continuous straight back trigger pull without disrupting the sights, then in live fire make a conscious decision to hold the sights on target until the shot breaks.

In short, if your gun is sighted in and your shots are off, you're flinching.
Afterwards, I did realize I changed several variables at once. In hindsight, I should have only changed one thing.

i wanted to see if I could move away from closing an eye, and loosing some peripheral vision.

- - - Updated - - -

As you move your right foot back, you shift the gun to the right. Your muscles have to correct for this. It seems like a losing battle if you still hit right. Just put some tape on your shooting glasses over your dominant (left) eye and keep both eyes open using your right eye and see what happens...
Taping...that's a good idea to try.

Back
Top Bottom