Seems to be the night for gun id help

I'll lean a little on the Colt Commander 1911 experts to help with this one because i can't find any like this using my not-so-mad Google skills. I did check the serial with Colt and they said 1965 but the beaver tail and hammer don't look right to me. She shoots great and is a great gun but I'd like to know if I've got a Frankenstein weapon or not.

Thanks large folks
John

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
The beaver tail grip safety on your Colt looks aftermarket. I suspect that a past owner wanted a higher hold on the gun. The rest looks pretty stock but I question the three dot sights. I'm not sure that Colt was using three dot sights in 1965. You could replace the grip safety and sights if not period correct with a parts order to colt. easy change out of the grip safety. When it's disassembled, you can look on the inside of the slide to see if the front sight is staked, but by what I see in the photo I believe that it is. You'll like both the beavertail grip safety and the three dot sights better than the parts that came on the gun. If it was mine I would leave the grip safety alone and get some tritium and or fiber optic sights for it.
If you'd like to see what better sights are like on the 1911 commander or if you like them, pm me. I'm right next store.

Last edited:
We are talking Colt here. I'm no expert but Beavertails and 3-dot sights were not available. I'll go out on a limb and say by anyone to include gunsmiths. Not in 1965 or maybe several decades after would these things be more than a wet dream by smiths. I'd wager that if you read period pieces by Jeff Cooper, you'd find some commentary there.

Back
Top Bottom