Selecting an AR15

I recently have returned to shooting. I am enjoying it much more than I remembered and I would like to get involved in competition to help me push my limits and have a bit of fun.

My next firearms purchase will be an AR15. I am leaning towards a Rock River for its reputation for quality and fair pricing. I don't much care for bells, whistles, lasers, flashlights and Christmas ornaments hanging from my gun so I am not drawn to any particular model. I would like a flat top with a detachable carry handle as I would like to have the option to put some optics on it at some point and I think I would like a 16" version but I have no real reason to justify that other than it seems to be the most common.

My question to you all: Is there a particular version or model I should be looking at? I want something that will be fun to go out plinking with but will also allow me to improve and compete. I fear that I will buy my first AR love it and go to a competition only to find out that I should have got one model to the right or left of it for one reason or another.

I am not looking for the absolute best AR out there just a good starting point that will let me gain the most experience I can without having to buy another rifle just to do this or that. I just want to be sure I'm not cutting myself out of one discipline or another for no reason.

Thanks for taking the time to read my drivel and thanks in advance for your input!!!

-Dustin

Supermoto. I'm not sure. It will depend allot on whats local and what I end up liking.

My limited understanding of three gun would mean I would have to buy a pistol and a shot gun before I could even think about it. So that would be well down the line.

The CMP? looks interesting, long range open sights. Seems like there is a group local to me but I'll have to dig more into that tonight.

Anything else out there?

-Dustin

Dirty, Thanks that thread led me from here to there for the last few hours. I have a much better understanding of CMP and High Power now. Reading the rules it looks like the RRA NM is specifically built for that purpose.

Three gun seems interesting as it is like the IPSC / IDPA pistol shooting which looks like allot of fun. Will the RRA NM work well if I get into something like that or will I find myself wanting a different set of features. As I said thats down the road. I don't think they would let me play with my .22 pistol and my single shot brake action 4-10:)

Just about any AR will work for 3gun, there is also IPSC rifle matches, which is the same as regular IPSC just with a rifle. I use a 18" barrel with rifle length gas system, very reliable and smooth recoil. although it is a little front heavy with a match barrel. I have used a 7" barrel carbine length gas system, that was also reliable but alittle more violent recoil. The rifle transitioned extremely quickly, but couldn't make hard shots over 150yard. Most shooters will use a 16" or 18" barrel. I prefer rifle length gas systems, smooth and reliable, some like mid length or carbine gas length, so don't care.

If you get a NM, get the flattop. so you can add optics later if you want, a 2 stage trigger isn't the greatest for IPSC but will work. everything is easily changed, spend the money now on a good barrel

there is also IPSC rifle matches, which is the same as regular IPSC just with a rifle.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that they had rifle matches. I guess I have to do more digging.

What else that I don't know about is out there? Any of it way up here in northern Vermont?

-Dustin

I'm also thinking of getting into some competition, or at least some appleseed events. Getting an nes lower jumpstarted my AR plans... and now I have a WOA service upper on order [smile]

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that they had rifle matches. I guess I have to do more digging.

What else that I don't know about is out there? Any of it way up here in northern Vermont?

-Dustin

For CMP/Highpower, there is the VT State Championships over Memorial Day weekend. In Jericho, just west of Burlington.

I use my Bushmaster DCM for plinking, hunting and High power. Mine is an A2, but an A3 is available. It has a Compact scope and mount (3-9x32) that sets on top of the handle. I would suggest a 20" Bull barrel. I dumped the weight in the butt-stock and it is still well balanced. jp

CMP Rifle

The Bushmaster or Rock River will serve you very well, and for a long time.

I started out on my club's CMP Bushmasters. They're great.

I now own RRA's NM A4. I have yet to remove the carry handle, but RRA assures that it will not need to be re-zeroed when reattached. It's sub-MOA accurate. RRA's match trigger is wonderful.

Picked up the RRA NM A4 Thursday and I love it. Took it to the range Friday then again Sunday. I wasn't overly serious with my shooting, just playing with my new toy but I have never used a rifle that was so easy to shoot well.

I can't wait to get back to the range. Thanks everyone for your imput!!!

-Dustin

Picked up the RRA NM A4 Thursday and I love it. Took it to the range Friday then again Sunday. I wasn't overly serious with my shooting, just playing with my new toy but I have never used a rifle that was so easy to shoot well.

I can't wait to get back to the range. Thanks everyone for your imput!!!

-Dustin

Cool glad to hear it worked out for you.. if you have a pic toss it into Junes Acquistion thread.

bpm,

Thanks for the heads up! I was keeping an eye on those clinics. Unfortunately I will be in NYC visiting my brother and newest nephew that weekend. The way the rest of my summer schedule works out it doesn't look like I will be able to make one until the September offering.

-Dustin

Back
Top Bottom