• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Self Defense 9mm Bullet Weight

Whatever flavor of HST functions reliably in your particular gun. First Thursday of each month used to be HST day at Targetsportsusa, half off (i.e. normal people pricing) on the 50-round boxes. Buy a case, function test with 300-400 rounds across a bunch of your mags, the rest will last you for a long time and should be from the same lot. Then move on with life. Ammo selection is almost vanishingly unimportant in the grand scheme of things, we overestimate its importance because it's something we have control over and can sit around debating it with very limited information.

For reference, two of my Gen4 Glock 19 with the OEM barrel will hang up with 147 HST (it's like 20 thousandths longer than the 124) on the bottom of the feed ramp, only when the gun is held muzzle up when the slide is released. bUt ItS a GlOcK iT iS sUpPoSeD tO eAt EvErYtHiNg? Who knows, it eats 124 fine. Even though the 147s are dead reliable with the KKM barrels (they have a slightly longer feed ramp), I don't agonize over it, I just gifted/sold the 147 and moved on with life.

Nothing that special about HST, there's a (not particularly up-to-date) list available. Take note that they do not get wrapped around the axle about projectile weight for the handgun rounds. The guy that's seen as the authority on the subject gave a good interview on P&S (it's available as a podcast as well if you want to hunt it down).

Early in my reloading career I made hot rounds. I liked the bark. I liked the recoil

But, as others point out, follow-up shots were tough to control. So I looked for balance.

Best I have good control of a handgun and manage recoil comfortably than hope one high powered shot hits.

Like many "engineering" decisions it's ying and yang. Max power but with solid control.

Having said all of that... I still LOVE a hot round.

:)

Back
Top Bottom