• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Self defense knives&LTC

Ive tried to find some information about the laws in Massachusetts regarding knives? Im not talking about your regular pocket knifes. Im talking about concealed/fixed blades ie: Colonel Blades low vz, Kabar TDI..etc does your LTC-A cover these weapons as well? Or is is just for the firearms & ammo.

Firearms and ammo only.
An unrestricted LTC doesn't let you carry dirks, daggers, double edged knives, slung shots, zoobows, bean blowers, throwing stars or any of the other items on the rediculous list of banned weapons.

MA knife laws are pretty typical otherwise though. Don’t get caught up in the ridiculous wording of the laws. There are no blade length limits except for autos. You can carry concealed or open. Just use some common sense. IANAL

Also, in regards to your choices, just realize you’re going to draw attention if you ever pull it out for utility.

Tinker is about NA having no blade length limit. However Boston, Salem and quite a few other towns have their own length laws. I think Boston and Salem are 2.5". The only time you'll hear of someone being charged is if they did something stupid and the police want to pile on the charges.

Firearms and ammo only.
An unrestricted LTC doesn't let you carry dirks, daggers, double edged knives, slung shots, zoobows, bean blowers, throwing stars or any of the other items on the rediculous list of banned weapons.
I'm not sure about that statement. The ridiculous list of banned weapons appears in Chapter 269 Section 10(b), however another part of section 10 reads "No person having in effect a license to carry firearms for any purpose, issued under section one hundred and thirty-one or section one hundred and thirty-one F of chapter one hundred and forty shall be deemed to be in violation of this section."

Two paragraphs later, a subsection is mentioned.

However........

Section 10 also bans machine guns. In particular, Section 10(c).

BTW, I have a client who had a LTC and is charged under 10(b). I'll let you know if the judge agrees with my reading.

Tinker is about NA having no blade length limit. However Boston, Salem and quite a few other towns have their own length laws. I think Boston and Salem are 2.5". The only time you'll hear of someone being charged is if they did something stupid and the police want to pile on the charges.
Lynn has a 2.5” restriction as well. FWIW, the “small” Kabar TDI is 2.313”

I'm not sure about that statement. The ridiculous list of banned weapons appears in Chapter 269 Section 10(b), however another part of section 10 reads "No person having in effect a license to carry firearms for any purpose, issued under section one hundred and thirty-one or section one hundred and thirty-one F of chapter one hundred and forty shall be deemed to be in violation of this section."

However........

BTW, I have a client who had a LTC and is charged under 10(b). I'll let you know if the judge agrees with my reading.

Good luck! And keep us informed if the court does agree with you.

However........

I am very interested in hearing how this works out. I too read 269/10 the same way you do. The blanket statement about being licensed not being in violation is pretty clear.

Please, please tell us it was for possession of a zoobow.

It is good that counsel is finally bringing cases that address issues like this to court. I would not be surprised if a deal like CWOF+fees is quietly made to avoid the possibility of a decision that while not precedential at the district court level, could still provide some guidance - plus your loss at DC level would incentivize an appeal which could set precedent (as seen in the Wakefield case where the court finally actually read the law rather than accepting the state's declaration of law).

If 269 is applied as written, it will be interesting to see if the "expired license protection" provided to possession/carry of guns is extended to knives, zoobows, etc.

Last edited:

When you say Boston, is that Boston or Boston and it's "neighborhoods" like Dot, Murder, Chuckie and Slummerville, etc?

"had a LTC" or "has a LTC"?

Simple curiosity that you might not be able to answer, but was that the "only" charge or was he whaling on someone and they threw that charge on top "because they could"?

Please, please tell us it was for possession of a zoobow.

THIS

Boston by-laws cover all the villages of Boston, not just downtown! Yes there is a knife-length restriction (as well as an 1989 assault weapon and mag ban) in Boston!

If someone wants to know all the gory details of the Boston (unique) AWB/Mag Ban, they can attend my Mass Gun Law Seminar.

I’ve been asked for an update.
Client was found not guilty of carrying a dangerous weapon. The judge went to chambers to read 269 10 and agreed that he was exempt since he had a LTC.

If anyone else wants to try, I’ll be happy to take your money to defend you.

Stopped and arrested for OUI. "Before administering any SFTS test I performed a pat down frisk of Mr xxx and found a spring assisted folding pocket knife, concealed in the waistband of his shorts".

I argued (on a motion to dismiss) that Chapter 269, Section 10(b) does not prohibit carrying a spring assisted folding knife. The judge decided that the jury should decide that. I disagree, but couldn't appeal until after a conviction (that never happened).

I also believe that under Caetano, they cannot place a categorical ban on handheld weapons. "The Court has held that “the Second Amendment ex-tends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms"

I argued (on a motion to dismiss) that Chapter 269, Section 10(b) does not prohibit carrying a spring assisted folding knife. The judge decided that the jury should decide that. I disagree, but couldn't appeal until after a conviction (that never happened).
Does this mean that juries are now in the business of deciding what the law says, not having it explained by the judge as has traditionally been the case?
concealed in the waistband of his short
Yeah, and my wallet is concealed in a pocket of my pants. I guess "concealed" is a new boogie word.

found a spring assisted folding pocket knife, concealed in the waistband of his shorts".

Do you know what kind of knife it was? Personally I own a Kershaw, which ACTS spring assisted, but in fact is now.

Back
Top Bottom