Self defense shoot aftermath in MA vs other state scenario

The "I just started blasting crowd" hasn't thought the repercussions through.

In MA, even if you escape prosecution you are still going to have to run the gauntlet of civil lawsuits from the family of the dirtbag you just shot. Defending your family means bankrupting your family and subjecting them to public scrutiny, social media pollution and all the rest. Your choice is to either pull your gun and defend yourself or curl into a ball and hope for the best. You and your family are fkd either way. Potential jail time, stripped of your career possibilities and financial liability to the family of the dirtbag, or maybe a lengthy hospital stay but maintaining all the rest of your lifestyle and money and your family's reputation... Take your pick. Both choices suck.

In MA, even if you escape prosecution you are still going to have to run the gauntlet of civil lawsuits from the family of the dirtbag you just shot. Defending your family means bankrupting your family and subjecting them to public scrutiny, social media pollution and all the rest. Your choice is to either pull your gun and defend yourself or curl into a ball and hope for the best. You and your family are fkd either way. Potential jail time, stripped of your career possibilities and financial liability to the family of the dirtbag, or maybe a lengthy hospital stay but maintaining all the rest of your lifestyle and money and your family's reputation... Take your pick. Both choices suck.
wow, sounds like if you ever get into a life or death situation when you are carrying, you should just shoot yourself and make it easy

A guy told me in MA if you ever had to use your gun in a self defense situation in your home, even if it's a clear cut castle doctrine justified shoot [perp or perps break down your door and are armed and you gun them down in your living room], cops will come arrest you but ALSO look into the efa10 records and come back to take away ALL of your guns you own to a bonded warehouse while the investigation happens. Is this how it works in other states too? Do you lose ALL of your guns if you had to defend yourself with just one of them?

My friend told me that if I was ever in anybody's house, all I had to do was be the first one to declare castle doctrine and I could kill everyone there and not face any charges.

wow, sounds like if you ever get into a life or death situation when you are carrying, you should just shoot yourself and make it easy

I have a $1M life insurance policy and am debt free. In reality, your suggestion might be the best course of action. The alternative is to give everything I've worked for away and remove my ability to make it back.

We should all stop pretending that using a gun or any other weapon for self defense does little more than to extend the damage done to your entire family.

Not, necessarily true. The ambulance chaser circus is a great myth not well supported by reality. Honestly if you managed to get sued for that kind of thing that means you've done pretty well for yourself.... most people will never be worth that much.

There are lots of people that live in places where gunshots go unheard and home invaders get turned into bear shit, and the local conservative police chief/sheriff doesn't ask questions about things that aren't made into his problem, not saying I'm one of those people, or in one of those places, just saying, there's often more than two choices if you don't limit yourself lol

In MA, even if you escape prosecution you are still going to have to run the gauntlet of civil lawsuits from the family of the dirtbag you just shot.
No actually. MGL provides some defense in a lawsuit if you justifiably used deadly force in MA. I can’t find the MGL citation at the moment.

Massachusetts is TINY. It isn't Texas where its 6 hours to drive across state. Rindge NH is 90 mins away from most of MA. Hell the NH border is 90 mins or LESS away from just about all of MA.

"Oh MaH FaMiLy!"

View attachment 737452
Yeah I used to live in Indiana. Coming back here for family gatherings was an ordeal but the gunzzzz and gun culture there was pretty amazing. Met the best people at the Atterbury range every other weekend. NH would be great but I do work in MA. People can't really just uproot their shit and start over in flyover free states lol

Lol. Some of you guys are hilarious.

If your in a SD situation, I wouldn’t worry about what happens next other then surviving the incident.

For f*** sake I’ve been arrested for shootings I’ve had nothing to do with. I’d rather be in my cell knowing I did it then sitting in a cell having a lawyer tell me it’s gonna be tens of thousands of dollars and there’s lots of innocent people in jail.

I represented myself, and I definitely had a fool for a client.

Massachusetts is TINY. It isn't Texas where its 6 hours to drive across state. Rindge NH is 90 mins away from most of MA. Hell the NH border is 90 mins or LESS away from just about all of MA.

"Oh MaH FaMiLy!"

View attachment 737452
Tried to get the wife to move to NH temporarily in like 2018, when my son started college in Worcester. She wanted to stay 4 more years cause he was up here. Mentioned it a few times, and she didn't agree didn't want to move twice...etc... So I didn't bother really pushing it. Figured I'd do my time and get out.

The other day, I mentioned that' we'd been here longer than planned......and we should have moved to NH 4 years ago. She's like yeah.....why didn't we do that?? I remember you mentioning it, but you didn't push that hard for it, so I didn't think you were serious...... I probably would have agreed.

UGH!!!!

We are on a full court press to get jobs and move south right now. All it will take is her to get a remote job for similar pay, and I'm checking out of here. House will hopefully get on the market this summer.

Both her and I getting large raises and easy commutes up here hasn't helped.....its made us way too comfortable finanacially.....but I said if we don't find something down south by summer, we are moving up to Rindge 20 mins away.

Live in MA ? Check

Carry a CC self defense firearm ? Check

USCCA membership including civil defense liability insurance ? Better be a check

If you attend any type of CC training classes they always comment that "if" one was forced to cease a threat in self defense and you are cleared of any criminal charges , be forewarned civil lawsuit(s) WILL be forthcoming.

O/p check out Thunder Ranch defensive carry informational vids. They are excellent

If you attend any type of CC training classes they always comment that "if" one was forced to cease a threat in self defense and you are cleared of any criminal charges , be forewarned civil lawsuit(s) WILL be forthcoming.
Once again, MGL provides some defense against such lawsuits. It doesn’t prohibit them but does make it harder for them to win.

No gun involved but a similar event happened right in my own little burg a few years ago. Young dude cut off an old fart in traffic, blocking him in, then advanced on the old dude's pickup. Old dude used a knife to defend himself. Young guy decided to drive himself to the nearby hospital but crashed into a pole and died.

DA Cruz sent his best black female Assistant DA to charge the old guy with first degree murder, because he COULD have escaped by simply crashing into a few parked cars, and that milliseconds are long enough to form premeditation. Fortunately a jury found the guy not guilty a couple years later, but he never saw his wife again--she died with covid while he was in jail. I can't imagine the same outcome in a state that DID tolerate "self-help".

Rindge NH is 90 mins away from most of MA. Hell the NH border is 90 mins or LESS away from just about all of MA.
How do you say "I've never lived on the Cape" without saying "I've never lived on the Cape" ? ;)

A guy told me in MA if you ever had to use your gun in a self defense situation in your home, even if it's a clear cut castle doctrine justified shoot [perp or perps break down your door and are armed and you gun them down in your living room], cops will come arrest you but ALSO look into the efa10 records and come back to take away ALL of your guns you own to a bonded warehouse while the investigation happens. Is this how it works in other states too? Do you lose ALL of your guns if you had to defend yourself with just one of them?
Absolutely NOT how it would work in Kentucky.

Where I live, most of the sheriff's deputies would be high fiving you for saving the county lots of time, money and aggravation prosecuting and housing the perp.

You really need to get out of Massachusetts and move to a state that doesn't make laws that favor criminals.

Unless the perp who shot the dead perp somehow ran away from the scene. 😉

In MA, Even if you escape prosecution you are still going to have to run the gauntlet of civil lawsuits from the family of the dirtbag you just shot. Defending your family means bankrupting your family and subjecting them to public scrutiny, social media pollution and all the rest. Your choice is to either pull your gun and defend yourself or curl into a ball and hope for the best. You and your family are fkd either way. Potential jail time, stripped of your career possibilities and financial liability to the family of the dirtbag, or maybe a lengthy hospital stay but maintaining all the rest of your lifestyle and money and your family's reputation... Take your pick. Both choices suck.
FIFY

Would 2 mil on an umbrella policy be good enough?

No actually. MGL provides some defense in a lawsuit if you justifiably used deadly force in MA. I can’t find the MGL citation at the moment.

Once again, MGL provides some defense against such lawsuits. It doesn’t prohibit them but does make it harder for them to win.

The jury will determine what a civil suit plaintiff is awarded in MA, not the MGL. A judge could dismiss the case but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. Of course all this happens after you have been put through the ringer on the criminal charges. Even if you win both, it's going to cost you a mountain of money and time.

and your family gets to keep living. pretty easy choice.

I think it is safe to say that is an alarmist overstatement. Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely in a clear cut defense in your home? I don’t think so.

Realize, however that the worst case legally is you charged with murder, are held without bail, and are convicted and given life in prison. Lethal force is no joke and you better be damn sure it is justified
This sums it up pretty good for MA.

If some random crackhead with a record a mile long decides to break into your house because you have a nice house, nice car in the driveway and therefore nice stuff or $$$ in your house then that it is clear cut self defense. And the worst of your worries are legal costs (because it is MA).

But if you have any relationship with the perpetrator (Ex, guy you owe $$$ to, worker you just fired and so on...) then in MA there is a likelihood you could be charged with murder.

I just hope like hell that I never have to use deadly force. In ANY case it is going to be a stressful nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom