• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Selling a gun via consignment, out of state FFL

If one wanted to put a gun up for consignment at an Out Of State FFL, what would be required of him when the gun sells for paperwork?

It's the same as putting it up for sale thru FFL "in state". . . NOTHING!

You can NEVER "unregister" yourself as the owner of that gun, no matter how you sell it or who sells it for you! That is the way that the system is (intentionally) set up.

Every gun that I sold thru an FFL would still show on CHSB's books years later as if I still owned it!

I do suggest that you get a "bill of sale" to keep in YOUR records to justify why you no longer have it, should someone come knocking wanting to know how it got in the hands of Joe-banger in Chicago!

CYA!

Lens,
Thank you. That was my question. Through my part-time job, I am able to see what the State has me listed as owning regarding firearms. I was showing someone how to do it today, and realized my P22 I rid myself of is still under my name, and realized that I may have had to get an FA-10 involved, but apparently not.

Must be interesting to look at long-time gun owners who activly buy/sell/trade guns on a regular basis to see that they have 150 guns under their name, but might only possess 10 now.

This brings up an interesting note. The 'man' could potentially stick it to ya if for whatever reason your right to own firearms is revoked or suspended, and you turn in / transfer all the firearms you currently possess, but they say "we want ALL of them" even though you sold others 10 years ago. Or, people "in the know" could say "Sold" when it's really under the mattress.....

If one wanted to put a gun up for consignment at an Out Of State FFL, what would be required of him when the gun sells for paperwork?

I have done similar (out-of-state transfers) and what I require and maintain is:

1. A copy of the dealer's FFL.
2. A copy of the shipping documents.
3. Some sort of BOS or other paperwork showing who it went to.

I attach these to my copies of the FA-10 or whatever else I may have showing that I once owned the gun and to show how I disposed of it.

Back
Top Bottom