• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Selling ICOM R71A for parts on Facebook Marketplace

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
I tried to just give a link to the item on FB but I can't get it to not show my account so I will just state it here and tell you to check out the pics on FB

ICOM R71A Shortwave Receiver - being sold AS-IS comes with antenna.Local pickup or $60 shipping in double box.Pickup at the Walpole Police Station FB/Craigslist parking area at 50 South Street Walpole MALight on meter worked when pics taken by previous owner - doesn't light now, HOWEVER the digital display of numbers works fine This radio works and receives stations but the volume (RF Gain) is flaky and instead of stopping at 0 rotates right around, also the function button doesn't work, and the SWR meter works but doesn't light. Picks up AM stations as well as shortwave broadcasts and the HAM radio bands, I picked up all my local AM stations as well as Radio Romania and Hams in Australia. There is a constant low hum on the set, not sure what that is. Previous owner had the battery replaced in early 2023 - Not sure about that as I haven't opened it.I am selling it as PARTS & AS-IS due to the meter light being out and the AF gain being hard to turn and the RF gain (volume) being flaky. The "0" button can take several pushes to recognize it, keyboard may have to be cleaned with contact cleaner. Not fully tested. Comes with power cord and manual.

I tried to just give a link to the item on FB but I can't get it to not show my account so I will just state it here and tell you to check out the pics on FB

ICOM R71A Shortwave Receiver - being sold AS-IS comes with antenna.Local pickup or $60 shipping in double box.Pickup at the Walpole Police Station FB/Craigslist parking area at 50 South Street Walpole MALight on meter worked when pics taken by previous owner - doesn't light now, HOWEVER the digital display of numbers works fine This radio works and receives stations but the volume (RF Gain) is flaky and instead of stopping at 0 rotates right around, also the function button doesn't work, and the SWR meter works but doesn't light. Picks up AM stations as well as shortwave broadcasts and the HAM radio bands, I picked up all my local AM stations as well as Radio Romania and Hams in Australia. There is a constant low hum on the set, not sure what that is. Previous owner had the battery replaced in early 2023 - Not sure about that as I haven't opened it.I am selling it as PARTS & AS-IS due to the meter light being out and the AF gain being hard to turn and the RF gain (volume) being flaky. The "0" button can take several pushes to recognize it, keyboard may have to be cleaned with contact cleaner. Not fully tested. Comes with power cord and manual.
The R-71a was a great receiver

The R-71a was a great receiver

Yes it does, I have one that I use but the meter light went out and I am not sure about the life of the battery, once it dies that is it with those.

This one was advertised as rebuilt and perfect, unfortunately I didn't notice that there were no returns. When it came in it had several issues including the RF gain/AF gain and bad capacitors so it was a scam or at least the person didn't know. so before I donate it somewhere I am trying to sell it for parts. The seller a fellow ham did give me back $100, so now I am trying to get more back. I am not good enough to replace the capacitors so just trying to get rid of it.

I do love my R71A! 20230821_191112-Edit-1-2.jpg

Yes it does, I have one that I use but the meter light went out and I am not sure about the life of the battery, once it dies that is it with those.

This one was advertised as rebuilt and perfect, unfortunately I didn't notice that there were no returns. When it came in it had several issues including the RF gain/AF gain and bad capacitors so it was a scam or at least the person didn't know. so before I donate it somewhere I am trying to sell it for parts. The seller a fellow ham did give me back $100, so now I am trying to get more back. I am not good enough to replace the capacitors so just trying to get rid of it.

I do love my R71A!View attachment 840938
per your tag line, this is free advice you can use...

Non volatile RAM for your IC-R71a. They are out of Hillsborough, NH and a good company. I've done business with them several times.

per your tag line, this is free advice you can use...

Non volatile RAM for your IC-R71a. They are out of Hillsborough, NH and a good company. I've done business with them several times.

How tough are they to replace or are they plug and play? I will check it out!
Thanks

How tough are they to replace or are they plug and play? I will check it out!
Thanks
I replaced one in a IC-751 I owned back quite a few years ago. As I remember, it was plug in and go. It saved having to ship it to an ICOM repair facility. I drove to the place in Hillsboro, NH and gave the man my money which at the time was around $50 I think. I told him what radio it was going in and he set the jumpers on it. Well worth it.

I ordered one over the weekend for my R71A. They say to watch the "padding" to keep it isolated from the rest of radio, hopefully that is ok so I don't have to figure out what to put there

G. T. F. O. FB.

Back
Top Bottom