• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

semi auto 308

I am looking for a semi auto 308 in light of potential legislation, I was thinking about PWS MK2 versus a SCAR 17. I like the idea of having a "battle rifle" worthy rifle with great accuracy out to long distances. Any thoughts or opinions one way or the other? Not a fan of POF as I do not like their rail (had a gen 2 POF 308 and the damn thing loosened up while at the range and I was disgusted by this). No LMT or Larue. I want something more accurate than an FAL or G3, although the mag benefit is obvious for those 2.

Larue OBR, even though you said no Larue.

SCAR-17 would be my pick of what you mentioned, although the aftermarket parts selection isn't as big.

OH boy!! Another 308 semi-auto thread with the SCAR 17.

SCAR 17 without even thinking.

Oh, and u can convert pre-ban metric FAL mags to use in the SCAR 17.

Last edited:
Accuracy your #1 goal? Aero M5 (AR-308 DPMS pattern) lower / upper and build to suit. Easier than the bikes / toys assembly when my my kids were young. Put the most money into a high end barrel with matched bolt. Can go .308 or something better such as 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Rem, or one of the Lapua long distance calibers.

My JP LRP-07 will generally keep rounds on target at 100 yards with Federal Gold Medal 168gr ammo using a 4.5x14 Leupold at 14x.

I use 1" square target pasters for targets.

Last edited:
I am looking for a semi auto 308 in light of potential legislation, I was thinking about PWS MK2 versus a SCAR 17. I like the idea of having a "battle rifle" worthy rifle with great accuracy out to long distances. Any thoughts or opinions one way or the other? Not a fan of POF as I do not like their rail (had a gen 2 POF 308 and the damn thing loosened up while at the range and I was disgusted by this). No LMT or Larue. I want something more accurate than an FAL or G3, although the mag benefit is obvious for those 2.

Battle rifle being his key wording..

Having owned a sig 716 dmr for precision only , sure its great till you have to lug it around.

Having something within the weight of my ak 47 that is reliable, and accurate ..

I sold it and did the same thing rkwon did and bought a scar 17. What a great rifle.. and its a great shooter too.

When I had a similar need, I just bought a FAL clone (actually an L1A1 clone, but who's counting?). Talk about "battle-worthy..."

Some say it's heavy and ill-balanced, but generations of soldiers from umpteen countries never had a problem with it.

Back
Top Bottom