• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Semi-Auto going full Auto?

So I just got back from my range orientation at Andover Sportsmen. Seems like a good club, some silly rules but overall I cant beat the proximity to my work and home. An older gentleman took me and another guy on a tour around the club and layed out all the basic rules and answered any questions we had (very nice guy by the way). Anyways, so he says "10 round limit on rifles, 5 round limit on handguns." So i ask why the 5 round limit on handguns? He tells me its incase the pistol goes full auto the gun would be easier to control. I didn't question his answer because honestly i've never heard of this. I cant see a normal semi-automatic handgun going full auto. Does this ever really happen or is it just another Fuddism?

It happens. Usually when someone is testing out his first home trigger job. It's a stupid reason for a 5-round limit though.

Used to happen some back in the day when bullseye was more popular. Shooters who fancied themselves amateur gunsmiths would file the sears on their 1911s down too far and they'd go full auto.

Stupid rule that's 30 years past its time (was stupid back then too).

I know of one guy it happened to on a brand new S&W 1911.

S&W gladly took it back ASAP...

But that's the only time I've heard of this happening.

Do they restrict you to less than a 1/4 gallon of gas in your car too? Those gas pedals can get stuck, probably more often than guns going FA. Good luck at your new club. I wish you didn't have to deal with the foolishness. Maybe you can influence them in the right direction with time.

I'm at that club. What kills me is the fact that they have the same 5 round limit on revolvers. It's just plain being obstinate and stupid. I only stay there because it's close and my truck is old and I'm retired on a fixed income so can't afford a lot of gas money.

Do they restrict you to less than a 1/4 gallon of gas in your car too? Those gas pedals can get stuck, probably more often than guns going FA. Good luck at your new club. I wish you didn't have to deal with the foolishness. Maybe you can influence them in the right direction with time.

their house, their rules.

I'm at that club. What kills me is the fact that they have the same 5 round limit on revolvers. It's just plain being obstinate and stupid. I only stay there because it's close and my truck is old and I'm retired on a fixed income so can't afford a lot of gas money.

I was told by the same gentleman, the rule goes back to the cowboy days when guys would only load 5 rounds into their six shooters and leave the hammer on the empty chamber in case they dropped it..

so what happens if you are Russian cowboy and you got 7 round Nagant. 6 round is ok then?

I was told by the same gentleman, the rule goes back to the cowboy days when guys would only load 5 rounds into their six shooters and leave the hammer on the empty chamber in case they dropped it..

So I just got back from my range orientation at Andover Sportsmen. Seems like a good club, some silly rules but overall I cant beat the proximity to my work and home. An older gentleman took me and another guy on a tour around the club and layed out all the basic rules and answered any questions we had (very nice guy by the way). Anyways, so he says "10 round limit on rifles, 5 round limit on handguns." So i ask why the 5 round limit on handguns? He tells me its incase the pistol goes full auto the gun would be easier to control. I didn't question his answer because honestly i've never heard of this. I cant see a normal semi-automatic handgun going full auto. Does this ever really happen or is it just another Fuddism?

Yeah, thats it this is like a regular glock and not the 18 you are looking for it just goes full auto sometimes. Continue citizen.

I am sure they did... [bs2]

I have a little Sterling .22 that I bought cheap from a member here. I retired it, after a range trip where it went full auto through the last 3 rounds in the magazine a few times. It also fired once when I racked the slide with my finger no where near the trigger. I'm keeping it in the safe until I find a gun buy back with a gift card I want.

[rofl]that's why I always load 2 when testing a new to me gun.

Me, too.

When I first got my M1a, it doubled on me a couple times. I sent the trigger assembly back. This sort of thing can happen but it is very rare and they are being fuddish.

My old High Standard Mod 107 went full auto on me many years ago. Was in the first minutes of the slow fire round of gallery bullseye at Satucket.
Fired my first round ok. Second round went off followed by the next three rounds. I was totally surprised and stood there with the gun on the bench. I took a step back from the firing line to see eveyone on that relay looking in my direction. I was treated like a total dope until, upon inspection, it was decided that the sear was worn to the point of full auto. Scared the crap outta me, but it was kinda fun. Had to take a DSQ that night.

I have a little Sterling .22 that I bought cheap from a member here. I retired it, after a range trip where it went full auto through the last 3 rounds in the magazine a few times. It also fired once when I racked the slide with my finger no where near the trigger. I'm keeping it in the safe until I find a gun buy back with a gift card I want.

You get 2 cards for a machine gun.

WINNING!

Andover sucks. I went there once, as a guest. We had a range officer on us the entire time. "Don't shoot so fast." "Don't put a sixth round in that magazine."

Place sucks. Full of Fudds.

Back
Top Bottom