• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Semi-Auto going full Auto?

I wouldn't mind if this happened to one of my pistols!
But in all seriousness the 5 and 10 round limits is what makes me look at other clubs. MVGC will be where I primarily go but I'm gonna need somewhere to shoot my shotguns and AR (when it gets built). Was thinking maybe Harvard. It's an extra 20 minutes away from me than Andover and Woburn but could be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by yanici
I'm at that club. What kills me is the fact that they have the same 5 round limit on revolvers. It's just plain being obstinate and stupid.

yeah, those single actions are prone to go full auto [rofl]

Actually, there are documented cases where single action revolvers have gone full auto, but it takes a unique set of circumstances for this to occur.

Is there such thing as a full auto revolver

Is there such thing as a full auto revolver?

Yes! A standard single action revolver can malfunction in full-auto mode
. The conditions are that there has to be a lot of end shake in the cylinder and you need to be using a magnum cartridge. When the revolver is fired the first time, the cylinder is thrown back with enough force (due to the excessive end shake) to move the hammer enough to index the cylinder and allow the hammer to fall on the next chamber and refire. This would continue until all cartridges are expended. If non-magnum cartridges are used, there would not be enough force in the cylinder recoil to cause this to happen. A properly set up revolver would also not do this.

Zappa, that's absurd and you know it. Or, is my sarcasm meter broken?

I'm just pointing out that no matter how absurd it sounds, it can happen, not that any of us are likely to ever see it.
This was only one example I was able to find a link to.
I remember reading about this phenomenon in a gun rag back in the 80's, but it involved a old single action with a blown out firing pin bushing. The primers would back out violently upon ignition into the vacant bushing hole, thus slamming against the firing pin, causing the hammer to rebound and drop again repeatedly. This didn't even require any heavy magnum loads either.

Had that happen on a.. well I forget what it was.. a .22 M16 clone long ago. took about 2 bricks to complete the process. started popping off 2 in a row here and there, then 2-3-4 round burst, by the end of brick 2 I was emptying mags on full auto. Even though it was a .22 it was f'in awesome! But paranoia got the best of me and i got rid of it.

Had that happen on a.. well I forget what it was.. a .22 M16 clone long ago. took about 2 bricks to complete the process. started popping off 2 in a row here and there, then 2-3-4 round burst, by the end of brick 2 I was emptying mags on full auto. Even though it was a .22 it was f'in awesome! But paranoia got the best of me and i got rid of it.

Wuss!

Hmm, gun club that has round limits. Is the president of this club named Cuomo by chance? I say screw that place.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

It can and does happen. It happened to myself with a CZ52. The firing pin broke in the middle ( a common problem with the CZ52s , though usually its the tip that breaks ) and jammed the firing pin in the full auto postion , and when i slammed home a mag it went full auto. But it happens so rarely it cant see it being a problem at a range.

My friends little .22 taurus pocket gun would runaway everytime you pulled the trigger. Its ROF was so fast it sounded like one shot. Ended up sending it back for warranty work.

Everyone posting in this thread has been reported to the BATFE. Please remove your tinfoil hats and load no more than 7 rounds into your firearms. We will knock no more than 7 times before kicking in your door and shooting your dog 7 times. If there is more than 7 inches of snow on the ground we won't be able to drive, so please stay in your house and die of exposure until we can arrive to secure your death weapons.

Go for it, on knock number 2, you'll hear the safety click off, and you won't get a knock number 3. :D

their house, their rules.

Actually, it's YOUR house now too. A club is only its membership and its board. If you don't like the rules, run for the board, get some support from the membership, win, and change the rules.

Everyone bitches about how much they hate the rules at their clubs, but no one seems to hate them enough to do anything about them.

I'm at that club. What kills me is the fact that they have the same 5 round limit on revolvers. It's just plain being obstinate and stupid. I only stay there because it's close and my truck is old and I'm retired on a fixed income so can't afford a lot of gas money.

yeah, those single actions are prone to go full auto [rofl]

If you shoot the revolver like Jerry Miculek, then this full auto theory would be true.

Sent it from iPhone 5 LTE

i visited that club , when the Fuddism at my prior one became to much to bear.

In addition to the 5/10 round limits , they had a gentleman with a "uniform" who was the Range Safety Officer , and was very much The Guy In Charge , he explained that the full time video cameras were going in soon so they could keep an eye on members after the fact as well.

I thanked him for his time and continued looking at other clubs.

If, hypothetically speaking, this type of malfunction were to occur with a repeating CO2 pistol, due to a jammed or otherwise poorly manufactured internal part,are there any laws that would be broken?

Not that this has ever happened to me or anyone I know.

AFAIK full auto airguns are perfectly legal...or else my brother's in big trouble for his airsoft collection...

A worn sear or a bad trigger job can always cause a semi-auto to go full auto as has been previously stated. Anytime you purchase an older semi-auto it is always a good idea to get it checked out before you shoot it, and beware of kitchen table gunsmiths, can't say it doesn't happen with well establish 'smiths either but all reputable ones test their guns before they send them out.

No reason for a limit on rounds, though. I'd take a pass on joining that club or being a member.

Last edited:
I would NOT recommend admitting in writing that you possess a malfunctioning gun that mimics a full auto when malfunctioning.

David Olofson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YMMV.

thiiiiiis.

If, hypothetically speaking, this type of malfunction were to occur with a repeating CO2 pistol, due to a jammed or otherwise poorly manufactured internal part,are there any laws that would be broken?

Not that this has ever happened to me or anyone I know.

it's not a firearm so there shouldn't be any butthurt.

also obligatory "f that fudd club".

I would NOT recommend admitting in writing that you possess a malfunctioning gun that mimics a full auto when malfunctioning.

David Olofson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YMMV.

So...a malfunction, which harms no one and is easily repairable but not easily detectable, can get you put in jail for a long damned time?

I hate the justice system, truly and sincerely. **** this.

Welcome to standard NRA "safety" doctrine circa 1985. Still alive and kicking at some clubs, unfortunately.

So...a malfunction, which harms no one and is easily repairable but not easily detectable, can get you put in jail for a long damned time?

I hate the justice system, truly and sincerely. **** this.

Hahhaha. Want to really make your blood boil? Go google "constructive possesion." Your head should explode about the time you find out about the shoelaces.

Back
Top Bottom