• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

semi-auto rifle suggestions for massachusetts

Looking for recommendations for a mass legal general purpose semiauto rifle. Interested in ARs but not into the fixed mag thing, AK prices seem like they're through the roof. What should I be looking at/looking for? Also open to pistol caliber for range practice.

Try and meet up with some members first to get a better understanding of what's available and what you like.

I don't think I understood the law. You have to fix the magazine if you have two or more "bad things", is that correct? Otherwise you can have detachable magazines?

Cz vz-58

It's mass legal and amazing, stay away from the cheap ones out of Florida.

Its a AK with a better firing mechanism, completely open breech, and bolt hold open on last shot.

The vz. 58 is not an AK. There's zero parts compatability between an AK and a vz. 58. Not mags. Not furniture. Not internal parts like bolt carriers or barrels or controls.

While the vz. 58 is nice, it is not an AK.

These grow on trees?

If you're seriously interested in a vz. 58, your probable best bet is to buy one already in Mass. Because the vz. 58 isn't an AK, the vz. 58 lacks the huge aftermarket of the AK.

Personally, I see the vz. 58 as a milsurp collector's gun. It won't be as easy to use in say rifle competitions like 3-gun as an AR or AK.

The vz. 58 is not an AK. There's zero parts compatability between an AK and a vz. 58. Not mags. Not furniture. Not internal parts like bolt carriers or barrels or controls.

While the vz. 58 is nice, it is not an AK.

If you're seriously interested in a vz. 58, your probable best bet is to buy one already in Mass. Because the vz. 58 isn't an AK, the vz. 58 lacks the huge aftermarket of the AK.

Personally, I see the vz. 58 as a milsurp collector's gun. It won't be as easy to use in say rifle competitions like 3-gun as an AR or AK.

While Stockwell is technically correct its not an ak, it's a piston driven 7.62. It does use proprietary magazines and is uncommon but not difficult to find.

I have no difficulty sourcing parts nor magazines. I wouldn't say it is any more difficult to use in competition nor to maintain.

If you guys see any deals in the classifieds, give me a heads up. I don't know what a good deal is because I got into this during the panic. ;)

While Stockwell is technically correct its not an ak, it's a piston driven 7.62. It does use proprietary magazines and is uncommon but not difficult to find.

I have no difficulty sourcing parts nor magazines. I wouldn't say it is any more difficult to use in competition nor to maintain.

The phrase "piston driven 7.62" alone could include a FAL. OP clearly is a newb to rifles - we should be providing him precise, accurate info, not vagueness. He doesn't know better.

I can find vz. 58 parts too, but based on posts like this:

If you guys see any deals in the classifieds, give me a heads up. I don't know what a good deal is because I got into this during the panic. ;)

I don't think OP yet has the resourcefulness to find parts, etc. for a proprietary gun.

The phrase "piston driven 7.62" alone could include a FAL. OP clearly is a newb to rifles - we should be providing him precise, accurate info, not vagueness. He doesn't know better.

I can find vz. 58 parts too, but based on posts like this:

I don't think OP yet has the resourcefulness to find parts, etc. for a proprietary gun.
I can probably build an AR, I just don't know what things should cost. I probably can't find the parts for and build a milsurp collector's gun. I was looking at some AK kits in the classifieds though.

Looking for recommendations for a mass legal general purpose semiauto rifle. Interested in ARs but not into the fixed mag thing, AK prices seem like they're through the roof. What should I be looking at/looking for? Also open to pistol caliber for range practice.

Find an AR lower at non raped prices and build up your own. Better yet, find an out of state FFL who will send a stripped lower at the "new normal", non MA prices to a MA FFL who doesn't give a shit about Healey's scare tactics and enjoy. Even an Anderson lower will suffice. While prices are high everywhere, I have found better prices on gun stuff on ARFCOM's EE than the MA Classifieds here.

If you care about compliance, like ksmoke said above, do some reading up on the AWB and the "evil features" if you are so inclined.

I can probably build an AR, I just don't know what things should cost. I probably can't find the parts for and build a milsurp collector's gun. I was looking at some AK kits in the classifieds though.

Building an AR is assembly, and even an 80% AR is not that hard. Building an AK is a lot more complicated. While a kit does give you most of the parts, there's a lot of room for error in AK building. These guys sum it up nicely:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/1xf4e4/what_is_the_difference_between_building_your_own/

If you want an AK, that's good, it just takes a bit more caution and research. You don't want to be that guy who buys a VSKA or an IO (hint: those have a reputation for exploding).

Century Arms AK-74 Explosion -

If I was living in Mass and I wanted to get into AKs as a newb, I'd buy a pre-1994 Chinese (PolyTech or Norinco) AK and add some good accessories like an AK Master Mount and a RS Regulate red dot/scope mount. Those are easily reversible fixes and would give you a nice, modern AK. You wouldn't have to deal with all the AWB f*ckery and could use surplus 30, 40, or 75-round mags.

To build an ar now if you got no parts - can be tricky. Tavor x95 is easier to find and takes ar preban 30rd mags. X95 is not an AR replacement, it is a very different weapon. Good, functional one, good for home defense, but, different.

A lot of people have a lot of opinions on how to deal with ARs and ar builds, and what word “legally” means, if anything at all. Search the forum and you will see.

If you want an ak just find an FFL that will transfer a norinco mak 90 for you. The prices locally have gotten out of control but they can still be had on gunbroker between 1000-1500

Back
Top Bottom