Semi auto shotgun rules vs semi auto rifle rules

CAESAR

NES Member
Maybe I am missing something. But it is perfectly legal in MA to have a 10 round clip (after ban not preban) on saiga 12 semi auto shotgun with pinned stock, pistol grip and muzzle-break, inst it?. Because it sure is with a rifle...
Is there any "note" on shotguns in the law?
If not, why anyone even looks at 5 rounds saiga clip? And why there is no configuration that comes with everything mentioned installed (other then financial reason).?

The AWB restrictions on shotguns are vastly different from those on rifles. Even with a fixed stock, a pistol-grip Saiga is non-compliant, and the non/large capacity cutoff is 5 rounds with a shotgun, as opposed to 10 on a rifle.

Maybe I am missing something. But it is perfectly legal in MA to have a 10 round clip (after ban not preban) on saiga 12 semi auto shotgun with pinned stock, pistol grip and muzzle-break, inst it?. Because it sure is with a rifle...
Is there any "note" on shotguns in the law?
If not, why anyone even looks at 5 rounds saiga clip? And why there is no configuration that comes with everything mentioned installed (other then financial reason).?

No, I don't think it is legal. IMO, a post-ban magazine for a shotgun greater than 5 rounds is a felony in MA. See MGL Chapter 140 Section 121, which reads, in part:

“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

Full text here: http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121

Note, I'm not a lawyer and this isn't legal advice.

That's why I sold my Saiga and bought a Mossberg 930 JM : ) got to love Mass ,, not

for the love of god!
1906d1284237178-anybody-see-y-p-kp-45-clip-sale-clipmag.jpg

I believe that would still be considered a pistol grip since you can hold it with one hand and still squeeze the trigger.

It's a greyish area... does it protrude conspicuously below the action? Kind of; so, it depends how comfortable skirting the undefined edges of MA laws you are. Lots of members on here have skeleton style stocks on their S12's. As I recall there have been a ton of threads on here that have mentioned this issue.

(The above is opinion, I am not a lawyer... and it doesn't even matter if it's correct, a DA could still charge you anyway.)

Not to mention you have it COMPLETELY backwards. You need US made parts to maintain 922r compliance if you decide to convert to a pistol grip configuration.

Simply adding a "non-US made stock" does nothing unless that stock satisfies the definition of "sporting purposes" which a pistol-grip stock does not.

Back
Top Bottom