• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein Introduces Bill to Ban 205 ‘Assault Weapons’

Reptile

NES Member
Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) introduced legislation Monday to ban “205 military-style assault weapons by name” and prohibit transfer of “high capacity” magazines.

Feinstein cited the January 21, 2023, Monterey Park shooting as the impetus for the reintroduction of the “assault weapons” ban.

I bet she is rubbing her hand together again like last time...

View: https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/03/01/mobapp-sen-dianne-feinstein-giddy-trump-gun-bill.cnn

Senators Introduce Bills to Protect Communities, Schools from Assault Weapons

Jan 23 2023​

Assault Weapon Ban prohibits gun used in recent Monterey Park shooting

Washington—Senators Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) and Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) today introduced a pair of bills to protect communities from assault weapons.
The Assault Weapons Ban would ban the sale, transfer, manufacture and importation of military-style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines and other high-capacity ammunition feeding devices. This includes the gun used by a shooter on January 22 to kill 11 people and injure 9 more at a Lunar New Year’s celebration in Monterey Park, Calif.
The Age 21 Act would raise the minimum age to purchase assault weapons from 18 to 21, the same requirement that currently exists in law for handguns.
Congressman David Cicilline (D-R.I) will introduce a companion version of the Assault Weapons Ban in the House of Representatives.
“We were tragically reminded this weekend of the deadly nature of assault weapons when a shooter used one to kill 11 people and injure 9 more at a Lunar New Year celebration in California,” said Senator Feinstein. “The constant stream of mass shootings have one common thread: they almost all involve assault weapons. It’s because these weapons were designed to kill as many people as quickly as possible. They have no business in our communities or schools. It’s time we stand up to the gun lobby and remove these weapons of war from our streets, or at the very least keep them out of the hands of young people.”
“As used by the Lunar New Year’s shooter only days ago in Monterey Park, assault weapons have only one practical purpose – to kill or injure human beings,”
said Senator Blumenthal. “These military-style combat weapons – built for the battlefield and designed to maximize death and destruction – have brought bloodshed and carnage to our streets and continue to be the weapon of choice in countless mass shootings. Guns don’t respect state boundaries, which is why we need a national solution to restricting the ownership and use of assault weapons. Now is the time to honor gun violence victims and survivors with this common sense action.”
“Once again, on Sunday morning, Americans woke up to the tragic news of another massacre perpetrated with an assault weapon. It is far past time to reenact an assault weapons ban and get these weapons of war out of our communities,”
said Congressman Cicilline. “We passed the assault weapons ban in the House last year with bipartisan support, which was then blocked by Senate Republicans. We need to come together to enact this commonsense, effective, and proven policy to reduce gun violence and save lives. I thank Senator Feinstein for her partnership in this fight and look forward to introducing the House companion bill in the coming weeks.”
Assault Weapons Ban
  • Bans the sale, manufacture, transfer and importation of 205 military-style assault weapons by name. Owners may keep existing weapons.

• Bans any assault weapon with the capacity to utilize a magazine that is not a fixed ammunition magazine and has one or more military characteristics including a pistol grip, a forward grip, a barrel shroud, a threaded barrel or a folding or telescoping stock. Owners may keep existing weapons.

• Bans magazines and other ammunition feeding devices that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition, which allow shooters to quickly fire many rounds without needing to reload. Owners may keep existing magazines.

• Requires a background check on any future sale, trade or gifting of an assault weapon covered by the bill.

• Requires that grandfathered assault weapons are stored using a secure gun storage or safety device like a trigger lock.

• Prohibits the transfer of high-capacity ammunition magazines.

• Bans bump-fire stocks and other devices that allow semi-automatic weapons to fire at fully automatic rates.
Exemptions:
  • The bill exempts by name more than 2,200 guns for hunting, household defense or recreational purposes.

• The bill includes a grandfather clause that exempts all weapons lawfully possessed at the date of enactment.
Age 21 Act
  • Under current federal law, an individual is required to be at least 21 years old to legally purchase a handgun but only 18 years of age to legally purchase an assault rifle such as an AR-15.

• The legislation would create parity in federal firearms law by prohibiting the sale of assault weapons to individuals under 21.
###

Text of Bill below:

Attachments

• AEA752FA2657D568F2D8AD66AD3DBA8F.2023.01.23-assault-weapons-ban.pdf
    163.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
full

No way on earth that she submitted this legislation. She has bad Alzheimer’s and doesn’t know who she is meeting with.

Dianne Feinstein, the oldest member of the United States Senate, is struggling to recognize colleagues, follow policy discussions, and carry out the duties of her office, people close to the California Democrat told the San Francisco Chronicle Thursday. “It’s bad,” one Democratic senator told the paper, referring to Feinstein’s memory. “And it’s getting worse.”

According to lawmakers and former staffers cited in the report, Feinstein’s memory is “rapidly deteriorating.” The 88-year-old lawmaker has, at times, seemed to have difficulty recognizing longtime colleagues, recalling conversations and complicated policy, and “can no longer fulfill her job duties without her staff doing much of the work required to represent the nearly 40 million people of California,” according to the Chronicle. Some Democrats, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California and Alex Padilla, the junior senator from California, disputed the report, telling the paper that she is continuing to execute her responsibilities, calling suggestions about her mental acuity “unconscionable” and “ridiculous.”
Report: California Senator Dianne Feinstein's Memory is “Rapidly Deteriorating”

No way on earth that she submitted this legislation. She has bad Alzheimer’s and doesn’t know who she is meeting with.

Dianne Feinstein, the oldest member of the United States Senate, is struggling to recognize colleagues, follow policy discussions, and carry out the duties of her office, people close to the California Democrat told the San Francisco Chronicle Thursday. “It’s bad,” one Democratic senator told the paper, referring to Feinstein’s memory. “And it’s getting worse.”

According to lawmakers and former staffers cited in the report, Feinstein’s memory is “rapidly deteriorating.” The 88-year-old lawmaker has, at times, seemed to have difficulty recognizing longtime colleagues, recalling conversations and complicated policy, and “can no longer fulfill her job duties without her staff doing much of the work required to represent the nearly 40 million people of California,” according to the Chronicle. Some Democrats, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California and Alex Padilla, the junior senator from California, disputed the report, telling the paper that she is continuing to execute her responsibilities, calling suggestions about her mental acuity “unconscionable” and “ridiculous.”
Report: California Senator Dianne Feinstein's Memory is “Rapidly Deteriorating”
And no one will say boo to her because she's a Dem

No, we’re not.

This would get an immediate smackdown post-Bruen. There are at least 35 states that would be filing for injunctions instantaneously.

I hope that they pass it for exactly that reason. It’s high time that they put this crap to bed and be done with this nonsense.

I don't think she's out in public much anymore.
Pretty sure she's in a chair somewhere rocking back and forth while the attendants wipe the drool off her chin.

No, we’re not.

This would get an immediate smackdown post-Bruen. There are at least 35 states that would be filing for injunctions instantaneously.
I hope you are right.

I'm not trying to out myself but AR's are my favorite rifles.

I'm not holding my breath.

I have no idea how anyone thinks that would get through this Congress. Especially with a neutered President.
It will happen under his successor, whether the Happy Hooker or hers (Hillary? The Wookie?). And all of us here can already name the RINOs in the House who will vote for it - lest we forget, it requires a simple act of legislation, nothing as complex as an Amendment - and they'll want it done with a "Republican majority" House to demonstrate its "bipartisan" nature.

"
‘(iii) Barrett M107A1.8
‘‘(iv) Barrett M82A1.9
‘‘(v) Beretta CX4 Storm.10
‘‘(vi) Calico Liberty Series."

I love lists like this. I definitely put a CX4 Storm in the same category as a Barrett M82A1. Who wouldn't? I mean, they have so many features in common, they're basically the same. And does anyone use a Calico firearm for anything but pretending they're in a 1990's movie? Asking for a friend who wants to be in a movie.

Back
Top Bottom