• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Senate passes measure to allow gun transport on Amtrak

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/16/amtrak.guns/index.html

Pretty resounding margin on the # of votes...

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Senate voted Wednesday to prohibit federal funding to Amtrak unless it allows licensed gun owners to transport their weapons on the passenger trains by next year.
One senator says the measure "is going to put a severe burden" on Amtrak.

One senator says the measure "is going to put a severe burden" on Amtrak.

The measure, an amendment to the Transportation and Housing Appropriations bill, passed 68-30.

Huh? Come again? What have you done with the Senators and how long can you keep them locked up?
confused0048.gif

Huh? Come again? What have you done with the Senators and how long can you keep them locked up?
confused0048.gif

no kidding!

I think people may be slowly starting to realize the "chosen" one was a sham and that it is spilling over to other aspects of government. One can hope, right?

A few months back a provision for "national carry" was rejected 58-40, if I remember correctly. By the looks of it, we clearly have more support than we think.

Now that I think of it, the D-Senate knows the elections are coming up and NEED a way to get more people to vote them back in after losing some public support between the Screwulus package, bailout city, O-care. They probably figure one...maybe two pro-2A measures thrown in would tip the balance and secure their seat. (Technically there has been 2 measures - the National Park carry thing and now this.)

I for one am not fooled. The Senate has proven itself to be anti-2A in the past. National right to carry for one. But more than that, notice how it’s all about distributing wealth? The government would withhold funds, etc.

I still don’t get it.

WTF is with the LICENSED gun owner shit?

What if someone from Wisconsin (where neither licenses to possess nor to carry exist) get to transport a lawfully owned shotgun, rifle, or pistol in checked baggage?

What about the many people in the many states where there is CCW (but not licenses to possess) who legally own guns but do not have an LTC? Are they too screwed from transporting those guns legally in intra or interstate travel?

And how in the hell is this a "severe burden" on Amtrak? Freaking airlines seem to manage this feat of transporting firearms for their passengers JUST FINE.

The more I think about it the more I think Amtrak just needs to DIE.

I have travelled on Amtrak TWICE in my entire 43 years. Once as a kid from NYC to DC in the Metroliner and once from San Diego to LA to see my wife while my ship was moored at Naval Station San Diego. The first time I was a kid and was riding a train for the first time, so big deal. The second time was the worst freaking mistake of my life. A stop in every GD town between SD and LA and the trip took forever. I would have been miles ahead to just rent a GD car!

Amtrak sucks sweaty donkey balls!

Does one have to go through a metal detector to board an Amtrak train?

Who's going to stop you from carrying a concealed handgun on a train trip through states where you are licensed?

Carrying a concealed firearm in commuter trains is legal in every state that allows CCW and has such local trains. No different than getting on a bus while packing.

confused0048.gif

1,000,000 gun sales, ammo hoarding, tea parties with rifles , open discussion of rebellion, the sovereign states movement...

Yeah, I think some of them are listening now. [devil]

…the D-Senate knows the elections are coming up and NEED a way to get more people to vote them back in after losing some public support between the Screwulus package, bailout city, O-care.

There's your answer to where these votes came from.

If it were just another year, they'd be screwing us as usual. With their jobs on the line, they're looking at ways to make us think they're actually representing us for a change.

Still not going to ride them though. $180 boston to nyc. Round trip
Jet Blue $100
Delta $110

Oh and even with the added time of the airport, you still get there before the train.

I don't think the accella has ever passed 45mph. The damn thing is broken half the time or stops in every freakin town along the way!

Maybe they are counting on it failing in the House?

That way they can look like "good guys" and nothing changes.

Don't know, but am deeply suspicious.

Does one have to go through a metal detector to board an Amtrak train?

No, not last I knew, but if you're on the Northeast run which goes to Washington you've got to use a CC or show identification when getting tix

but if you're on the Northeast run which goes to Washington you've got to use a CC or show identification when getting tix
Yeah, some security......[rolleyes]

American train travel is a cruel joke. Somebody put a bullet through that horse's head.

It was ONLY on that run, but really no one is going to hijack a train and crash it into a skyscraper and if you want to attack it you really don't need to be on it.

If you read the article that is linked to, it seems to say that this change will permit checked firearms, not concealed carry (yeah, who's going to know, concealed means concealed, and all that, but I'm talking about what is permitted).

So there would need to be some pretty serious changes in order to have the security in place to check firearms and not have them stolen.

Regardless of the changes made, it's very unlikely that I'll be taking Amtrak. I can drive my car or fly, both of which are almost always faster and cheaper than taking a train.

If you read the article that is linked to, it seems to say that this change will permit checked firearms, not concealed carry (yeah, who's going to know, concealed means concealed, and all that, but I'm talking about what is permitted).

Yeah, it's basically only trying to even out to what you can do on an airline, it's not talking about ccw

Looks like a set-up to me.

The government will force Amtrak to put the resources together to create a screening system, then decide to rescind the gun rule at a later time.

Then they have the screeners in place to make sure NO firearms are allowed, period.

Devious bastards.

Set up? Possibly. Trying to curry political favor ahead of an election? Absolutely. On the surface, it appears a small positive step. I'm tired of small steps. If you have a CCW, you carry everywhere - trains, planes, space ships, etc. Better yet, everyone carries, with or without a CCW. Did I mention I'm tired of small steps??

Back
Top Bottom