• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

September 24-25 Marlboro Gun & Knife Show

I just got back from the bank... I took out more than I wanted to, but on the ride over I started to think about ALL the things I wanted... Needless to say the $ amount in my head kept rising and rising...

Good thing I have a separate account that gets auto deposits every pay day, having a slush fund is a good thing...

Adam

Adam_MA said:
I just got back from the bank... I took out more than I wanted to, but on the ride over I started to think about ALL the things I wanted... Needless to say the $ amount in my head kept rising and rising...

Good thing I have a separate account that gets auto deposits every pay day, having a slush fund is a good thing...

Adam

So umm Adam.... What time were you going to be in that poorly lit parking lot this evening? [lol]

C-pher said:
Cross-X said:
Another tip -- If you like GL or SGN, get a subscription. The subscription price is pennies compared to paying $5.00 an issue in the booksellers.

Yea, I have a subscription to SGN, but I'll have to check out GL to see what's in there. Maybe I'll get that as well.

To my skeptical eye, it is the same stuff in a different wrapper.

Cross-X said:
C-pher said:
Cross-X said:
Another tip -- If you like GL or SGN, get a subscription. The subscription price is pennies compared to paying $5.00 an issue in the booksellers.

Yea, I have a subscription to SGN, but I'll have to check out GL to see what's in there. Maybe I'll get that as well.

To my skeptical eye, it is the same stuff in a different wrapper.

Not to me. GL is WAY too PC. But then, I'm a Battle Rifle person from a FREE STATE.

C-X, I subscribed to GL for 3 years and then dropped it for a subscription to SGN.

GL does a lot better job of posting gun shows in the paper issues. SGN is pathetic in this case.

I found that a lot of C&R distributors/dealers do NOT advertise in GL, only in SGN.

Good discounts can be found on the sub rates for SGN (including on eBay), not so for GL. Thus, GL is considerably more expensive than SGN to subscribe to.

LenS said:
C-X, I subscribed to GL for 3 years and then dropped it for a subscription to SGN.

GL does a lot better job of posting gun shows in the paper issues. SGN is pathetic in this case.

I found that a lot of C&R distributors/dealers do NOT advertise in GL, only in SGN.

Good discounts can be found on the sub rates for SGN (including on eBay), not so for GL. Thus, GL is considerably more expensive than SGN to subscribe to.

Do they sell GL at the Marlboro Gun and Knife Show?

(I am trying to keep you on topic and out of trouble. I hear the mods can be hell around here)

OK, that was funny...

So, I'm up, getting ready to go.

I'm wearing my T-shirt. So look for me. I'll keep an eye for you.

As for the shirts...man they shrink after you wash them....

So, I think that we're going to be there just before 9. So if you're there early, look for me in line.

Usually one or two dealers bring their older copies of GL and SGN and sell them at their tables.

Only once (that I saw) did a vendor (scam artist) sell subscriptions to gun mags at a gun show. Happened many years ago at Foxboro, as I paid for a subscription to SGN. Never received even 1 copy and had no idea where to find the scam artists that sold the subs.

Geeze, I thought that I'd head up to Marlboro for the show. I was actually going to go buy the RIA 1911 at a shop. The show was just an excuse for my wife so that I could sneak another gun. As luck would have it, my oldest daughter needs to get fitted for a gown at a shop in Marlboro today and my wife is going with her. So what happens? The wife says "Hey, we'll drop you off at the gun show and we'll pick you up when we're done". Damn, so much for the 1911. Maybe I can find a cheap (hahahahaha) Russian SKS.
What have I become? I hate liars....

Show Report

Went to the show this a.m.
Saw quite a number of M1 Carbines, some Garands.
Most handguns overpriced, but did see 3 New in Box S&W 642 for $329 each. That's a very good price.
Ammo deals were around, and M&M from NH was there with reloads.
Same knife sharpener sales guy who attends most of the shows (I like those sharpeners; got a set a while back).
Guys that I saw leaving with long guns, had shotguns, some with SKS's.
Several large ammo purchases, using two wheeler.
I stopped by the GOAL table to get my raffle tickets.
I enjoyed the trip for $7 entry (20 min ride), and Only came out $120 lighter! [roll]

About an hour ride for me. Wife dumped me at the front door.
Lots of Russian M44's 91/30's all a lot more money that you pay with your C&R at SOG or other places. 91/30's were $115-150 and they can be had for $79 I believe with your C&R. It was nice to walk around and check the stuff out. Didn't see any RIA 1911's but there was a few Para's, some USGI's, Colts, S&W, and a couple Auto Ordnance. I didn't get one, but I did have cash in me pocket. I fought the urge. Didn'r see any Romanian AK's.
Saw a tall guy with a bald head and goatee that was wearing a Northeast Shooters shirt.....Who was dat? I was on my way out when I saw him.

The bald guy was Adam. Met him and TypeO at the show.

I found some great deals...but you really had to look. We were there at 8:40, and left about 2:00

Len, your guy was there. I bought 10 plastic .38/.357 for 10 bucks from him. That was good. I was able to find a Winchester 97 for short money. And it was in incredible shape, I don't think that the guy knew what he had.

Icing on the cake. If you're wanting to reload, I would get to the show. There was a guy that I was talking to, he picked up 12 Dillon 550Bs from some guy that died, or something like that. Anyway, he had complete presses with everything that you would need for $250. And I mean the whole thing. Maybe a 800 or more bucks worth. He had a complete conversion kit in some calibers (dies, powder mesasre, shell plate) for $75. I really wish that I had some extra money when I saw that because I would have bought some. I did get a dillon box, with about 5 550B parts kits for 25 bucks. That was about 100 bucks worth of parts.

TypeO made the coolest things ever. It was really cool. Thanks again TypeO...I can't wait to hang them. Hell, even my wife said that she likes the key holder and wants me to put it up.

I did find some really good prices on Ubertis but again I didn't have the money. And, I saw a really nice Remingtion 700 with a jeweled bolt, checkered, really nice finish in .270 for only $350...it looked brand new.

Other than that, I really didn't fine too much...

Did see a guy that had a really good deal in powder. My buddy bought some clays, a pound was only 15 bucks.

Other than that...I had a good time. Glad that I went.

I went this morning with low expectations. I was pleasantly surprised. In addition to beef jerkey, a nice IWB holster for a soon-to be Walther P99C, a couple stocking-stuffer type knives and flashlights and some good deals on ammo, I found some good deals on firearms, even after the best deals had probably been sucked up on Saturday morning. I found a Walther P99C NIB for $475 ($560 at Four Seasons, $540 at Collector's, $497 at Tite Group). But the Walther will have to wait a little while, because this bad boy followed me home.

Smith%20Model%2027.jpg

Six inches of pinned and recessed N-frame goodness for $415. The trigger is so good that you see God in single action. The blueing is gorgeous - really deep and dark. There's enough wear on the gun that I won't hesitate to shoot it often - no safe queens for me. I'm really happy with this purchase.

One update -- I forgot to mention that I missed meeting 01313 at the GOAL table by just a few minutes. He had just given Sean Story a really neat AR-15 metal sillouette.

Maybe I will get to meet some NES folks at the Springfield show.

I did not make it after all :(

My ride ditched on sunday morning and did not want to make the ride myself.

Here's hoping for next time.

Marcus in the Darkus said:
I found a Walther P99C NIB for $475 ($560 at Four Seasons, $540 at Collector's, $497 at Tite Group).

OMG!! Someone had something cheaper than the un-official board sponsor Four Seasons !!! Blasphemy I say,it can't be true.If God was looking for a weapon of any kind,he would surely go see Carl at Four Seasons because he has the best service and selection east of the Mississippi.There is NO way Four Seasons will be undersold!!!

Seroiusly though Marcus,you should edit your post to reflect Carl as having the best price.The collective membership of this site will have a mild cornary if they see that Four Seasons wasn't the lowest price. It would be kind of like telling your 5 year old daughter there is no Santa Claus,if ya get my drift. :p

Midway USA beats Four Seasons by a good amount on my match AR15 ammo, and I don't have to make the trip to the store. [wink]

Derek,
Does Midway hassle you about sending ammo to MA? Seems like most
of the major players don't want to have anything to do with us. Are there
any special regs. to follow when buying from out of state?

F

firtree said:
Derek,
Are there
any special regs. to follow when buying from out of state?

F

YES, you don't post the names of those who WILL ship to MA in a public forum/eList!

When the AG's moles find out who does sell in MA, they get a nasty threatening letter and then they also refuse to ship anything to MA!

If anyone reads the Press Releases on the AG's website, the companies he went after (Ammoman, Sportsman's Guide, etc.) were all companies that got lots of "recommendations" on online forums/eLists . . . before they got nailed by the AG!

From a legal point of view (MGL, w/o inventing interpretations), the out-of-state vendor should request a copy of your LTC prior to shipping you anything and as long as he ships to your LTC address and name, he should be covered under the UCC and MGLs.

The AG's "opinion" is that the UCC is null and void in MA regarding the sale of guns, ammo, components, mags ONLY.

UCC = Uniform Commercial Code. Without digging up my Commercial Law books, the UCC is what is used in 50 states to determine contract law on interstate sales of goods. Perhaps Darius or Keith can add something here on UCC's "authority"?

Makes you wonder how much the local dealers would miss out on, sales wise. if Midway and a few of the others would ship to Massachusetts.
I'm a small time reloader, but there's plenty of people out there spending a decent amount of money for components in the course of a year. If you can't get it through the mail, that doesn't mean you're gonna stop shootin'.
CJC

Re: Dealers missing sales

I would contend that the local shops actually *lose* money
by vehemently fighting mail order ammunition in MA. I think
that while some ammunition sales would suffer, it would be
mostly in the plinking/surplus ammo, not the high quality ammo
which really does not have a great savings via mail order.

Where the dealers stand to make money is with the sale of
firearms in non-standard calibers. A couple of cases come to
mind right now. I would like to buy a nice lever gun in 45 Colt
or 45/70 Gvt. Why won’t I buy one? There is squat for ammo
available in MA! Almost no hunting loads in either caliber,
no variety, and no cheap plinker ammo. So my local shop is
not going to get the $500+ I would have spent on a nice rifle.
Another case is the large number of oddball-caliber surplus
rifles in the local shops. I’ve seen some really nice k-31’s
and MAS49 rifles, but where the heck am I going to get a
dependable supply of 7.5 Swiss in this state? I could not
even get anything other than expensive hunting ammo in
.303 British when I owned my Enfield, and those rifles are
*common* in the northeast. And how about 7x57 or 8x57?
These have got to be one of the most common calibers on the planet,
with hundreds of millions of rifles chambered in them, but I
challenge you to find good ammunition locally.

It’s close-minded protectionism at its finest/worst. I like the local shops,
and would like to buy more from them, but they can’t afford to carry
a huge selection and inventory of ammunition in all calibers. So until
there is another way to get the ammunition, guns in calibers like 45Colt,
45/70, 444 Marlin, 500 S&W or foreign surplus will just sit in the shops.

F

Back
Top Bottom