• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sharing steel at a busy range.... Rant!

On the one hand, I would leave the guy to the range in that situation. If I'm using a bunch of real estate on the steel area of my range (perhaps doing moving / multiple target drills) I really appreciate the courtesy if people leave me to the range and go shoot some paper elsewhere.

With that said, I don't own the range and if someone came over and wanted to use half the steel, I'd greet them and adjust what I'm doing. Heck, if they walked up and said "are you using all the steel" I'd say "no, feel free", even if I had been. I think it's good etiquette to leave people alone on a range if possible and I appreciate the same. If someone asks though, it shouldn't be an issue and wouldn't be for me.

Bottom line... Guy was an a$$ (but I'd have left him alone to start with).

On the one hand, I would leave the guy to the range in that situation. If I'm using a bunch of real estate on the steel area of my range (perhaps doing moving / multiple target drills) I really appreciate the courtesy if people leave me to the range and go shoot some paper elsewhere.

With that said, I don't own the range and if someone came over and wanted to use half the steel, I'd greet them and adjust what I'm doing. Heck, if they walked up and said "are you using all the steel" I'd say "no, feel free", even if I had been. I think it's good etiquette to leave people alone on a range if possible and I appreciate the same. If someone asks though, it shouldn't be an issue and wouldn't be for me.

Bottom line... Guy was an a$$ (but I'd have left him alone to start with).
Maybe its just me, but I don't see a reason to not utilize a range that I, as much as the other guy, paid for. Its not like its a 1-person shooting lane you are looking to use that the guy is occupying. I pay for my membership, just like anyone else there, and as such, I have the same access to a range that some douchey ol' timer has.

I just go talk to the RO. If it's like BRP they are all good ole boys and probably know who you are dealing with.

There are a good number of clubs (Harvard being one of them) that have enough faith in their members that they do not require or have ROs on duty.

Maybe its just me, but I don't see a reason to not utilize a range that I, as much as the other guy, paid for. Its not like its a 1-person shooting lane you are looking to use that the guy is occupying. I pay for my membership, just like anyone else there, and as such, I have the same access to a range that some douchey ol' timer has.

I agree but there's a crossroads where it becomes an obvious conflict without an obvious solution WRT "who gets to use the range".

For example several years ago a couple friends of mine set up a steel challenge stage on a small local range, we had no problems because we got there early enough in the day and this is back in the day when most ranges were underutilized. However if a bunch of guys had shown up with rifles we would have been backed into the situation of either asking the guys if they minded waiting or taking all the steel down, packing our shit and going home, or taking the steel down and take a break while joe fungohead 3 box sights in his deer rifle or whatever. We pretty much decided that we'd just take the plates off the stands and wait them out if they showed up because most of the other users aren't that serious, I don't think I'd ever been at that particular range where the people that came weren't gone in under an hour. The only guy that stays longer than that was the dude that did his own blackpowder stuff, and he was easy to deal with because he'd set all his targets up downrange and not get bothered by us. He was also good enough that we didn't have to worry about him hitting any of our stuff.

I haven't had to deal with the "grump asswipe on the range" thing more than a handful of times over the past decade or so. I don't get into altercations with them it just plain isn't worth it. Yeah you do have the right to use the facilities, blah blah blah... but now you're shooting next to an unfriendly guy you just pissed off that has guns. Doesn't seem too bright to me. Not to mention sometimes it just ends up being a waste of time or annoying because their use of the range is incompatible with yours in some way or another. If the annoyance factor is too much to shoot, I don't even bother. I'll use another facility or come back some other time. Life is too short to argue with armed dickheads. If it keeps happening then I'll escalate it within the club framework. I've never had to do that because all of the incidents I can recall were one offs. The other problem with these dicks is even if you argue with them and you "win" you still end up being pissed off about it (that you had to get into it with them at all) and it ruins the whole experience.

Of course some of it is about feeling people out. 95% of the time most other people at decent clubs are easy to get along with so the whole topic becomes a
non issue.

Going forward I think some clubs are going to have to use reservation systems for some of this stuff (at least on weekends) either that or we're going to see pushback and decent clubs are going to be waitlisted all over the place.

-Mike

Last edited:
There are guys like this at every club. you either need to be assertive or leave. I have seen the guys shooting outdoors with their stuff spread over 3 or 4 benches on a Sunday. I have just asked them to move there stuff. They may like it or not. I really don't care. I pay to shoot there the same as they do. They are usually the same people who leave their brass all over the place.

Sheesh...it's like they teach you in kindergarden! SHARE your stuff! If you're taking up 2 tables (one for shooting, one for all your gear), MOVE it so others can shoot!

I've always encountered nice folks at Hopkinton...never had this issue!

I find the best way to get rid of a douche on the plate rack is to wait for them to empty all of their mags. While they are reloading, I ask if I can just shoot a quick mag. Nobody ever minds if you shoot one mag. I put them to shame and then walk away. They usually leave soon after feeling an overwhelming sense of butt hurt in their pride area. Usually the only people that are dicks about sharing are the ones that think they are the greatest shit ever, and are shooting there because they want to be seen being "awesome". When they find out that isn't the case, they usually move along.

I belong to Harvard and shoot there all the time. Pretty much everyone that I run into at the plate racks is willing to share, just as I am always willing to share if someone asks me if they can jump in.

I'm picturing Ignatius P Riley. Rep point to the first person that can tell me who that is. (And can tell me how to give a rep point, as I have asked a few times but haven't gotten an answer)

I'm picturing Ignatius P Riley. Rep point to the first person that can tell me who that is. (And can tell me how to give a rep point, as I have asked a few times but haven't gotten an answer)

was that the guy in the confederacy of dunces?

and as far as adding reps for peeps you can go under their profile pic to the star thing on the bottom left and click it...

One of the problems with having over 2400 members is the number of dickheads also increases.

Yep, I run into ignorant gun owners and brass rats at MRA and run into range commandos at HSC. The best advice is to just find another range to shoot on, there are plenty of choices.

I am always pretty darn pleased on how well the 25/50 range runs even with a dozen or two shooters on it.

Chris

Character in A Confederancy of Dunces - I cheated and googled in.

Hit the 6 pointed star in a post to give a rep point.

There are a good number of clubs (Harvard being one of them) that have enough faith in their members that they do not require or have ROs on duty.

I would say "the overwhelming majority of clubs in MA" actually. Weird setups like BRP etc are the exception rather than the rule.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom