• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shark attack fatality - Maine

First documented shark attack fatality in Maine. The woman was wearing a wetsuit, and swimming with her daughter off the shore.

Wow. I'm in the water not all that far up the coast from there a couple of times a year. I always figured the danger was freezing to death, not frigging white sharks.

ok, someone is going to say it I'm sure. So from NYC, a life that could have been saved by quarantining inside when she got to Maine...

Many years ago we used to fish for bluefin tuna out of Bailey's Island. At the dock one day some guys had an Atlantic Thresher shark they caught. It was pretty impressive. I don't think they are usually considered man-eaters, but I was glad to not be swimming when I saw it. Blue sharks were common in the chum line.

Many years ago we used to fish for bluefin tuna out of Bailey's Island. At the dock one day some guys had an Atlantic Thresher shark they caught. It was pretty impressive. I don't think they are usually considered man-eaters, but I was glad to not be swimming when I saw it. Blue sharks were common in the chum line.
Yeah blue sharks everywhere even around Nahant/Revere where I used to keep my boats years ago. There was a Thresher shark report on Revere beach once, no bite but someone got rubbed on the leg by one and it scuffs you up pretty good. I also remember a number of years ago a big hammerhead chased into Winthrop by a fishing boat from open water, that was big news around the marinas in the area when it happened. Can't remember how long ago though.

Mistaken identity. It’s long been theorized that a human in a wetsuit in murky water looks like a seal to the shark.

Mistaken identity. It’s long been theorized that a human in a wetsuit in murky water looks like a seal to the shark.
Definitely. I always explained to diving students that if you're around seal populations you're going to encounter sharks. In poor visibility they may bite you accidentally but even an accidental bite may do fatal damage.

They found a tooth piece. It was a great white. She was wearing a wet suit, so they are speculating the shark thought she was a seal. There is at least one report that she was airborne at one point.

RIP. I hope her kid recovers from seeing that.

One person was attacked and they close the beaches.

Swimmer was wearing wet suit.

Shark thought it was a seal.

Experts all say that sharks only attack humans by mistake and that we are never their intended prey.

So if others are not wearing wet suits and experts say we are not the intended prey then why close the beaches?

Seems like an overreaction to me.

Humans aren't fatty enough for sharks to consider us worth chowing down on. Well, most humans anyhow. And I would venture to guess the really overweight folks who may be exactly what a shark would like to chow on, aren't out past the knee-deep waters too often anyhow. ;)

Humans aren't fatty enough for sharks to consider us worth chowing down on. Well, most humans anyhow. And I would venture to guess the really overweight folks who may be exactly what a shark would like to chow on, aren't out past the knee-deep waters too often anyhow. ;)
uh-oh, I better keep out of the water then. I'm thinking I'm just what they are looking for :)

Most humans probably taste horrible. I'm guessing I'd taste like bourbon, tobacco and gunpowder residue.

One person was attacked and they close the beaches.

Swimmer was wearing wet suit.

Shark thought it was a seal.

Experts all say that sharks only attack humans by mistake and that we are never their intended prey.

So if others are not wearing wet suits and experts say we are not the intended prey then why close the beaches?

Seems like an overreaction to me.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c8r5BSzgd1w

Most humans probably taste horrible. I'm guessing I'd taste like bourbon, tobacco and gunpowder residue.

Long pork. For good reason, I've read.

You know, I'd love to get one of the many ugly jackets the Mayor had. Especially the anchor one. It's like some old lady's family-room curtains. Classic. I should consider haunting the thrift stores. I'd wear it with pride every 4th of July. ROFL!!!

And in teh movie, it's July 3rd. Mid day. Everyone wearing a jacket. Hell, Hooper has on a peacoat! ????? I get outer MV and such, but come on. It's gotta be mid-May when filming. Take off the damned jackets ya dingdongs!

EDIT

Some stupid Nantucket clothing company MAKES ONE!

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!! Not the same material or frequency of the design, but a good modern representation of it.

LMFAO!!!! I love it....

I love "Jaws" references.

I watch the move so much my daughters quote the lines as they walk through the room...lol
My favorite movie. I was up in Littleton, NH this summer and they were playing it on the movie theatre up there, Loved it on the big screen!

Back
Top Bottom