• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sheath Thread / What’s good or what’s garbage

I found a KA-BAR in the field and finally got round to ordering a sheath for it from Amazon.

Amazon product ASIN B000Q9C9B8View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q9C9B8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The trapezoid friction fit wedge was really tight, but after some work with a hairdryer it loosened up enough to be functional.
The snap closure is OK, but unnecessary with the friction wedge.
The big tri-glide isn't exactly what I need, so I'll have to figure something else out.
Like mentioned earlier, the rivets are spaced where they don't align with most accessories.
I have a ferro rod for this sheath, but still need to install it.
The rectangular openings should have enough free play to add the ferro rod, despite the poorly spaced rivets.

View attachment 549075

I cleaned up the KA-BAR and painted the sheath.

View attachment 549081
You did a fantastic paint job on that sheath!!! How did you do such a great job? Care to share some insight on your method? It would be very much appreciated! I have my father's WWII USN KA-BAR with what's left of the original leather sheath and would like to get the kydex sheath and maybe do a custom paint job as you did. The South Pacific theater was not a kind atmosphere for leather products.

You did a fantastic paint job on that sheath!!! How did you do such a great job? Care to share some insight on your method? It would be very much appreciated! I have my father's WWII USN KA-BAR with what's left of the original leather sheath and would like to get the kydex sheath and maybe do a custom paint job as you did. The South Pacific theater was not a kind atmosphere for leather products.
Thank you for the kind comments.

What I did was clean the sheath with alcohol and then painted a base coat; in this case gray.

Then I wrapped rubber bands (deliberately with a few twists) around the sheath in a few places.

old KaBar camo sheath set up.jpg

Then I sprayed the next color over the sheath.

After that coat dried, I added more rubber bands and sprayed yet another color over the sheath.

I repeated this process until the rubber bands almost fully enclosed the sheath.

Old KaBar new sheath thumbnail.png

When that was completed, I peeled off the rubber bands to reveal the camouflage pattern.

(I probably should have cut them off to save some time.)

View: https://youtu.be/erWhQX8AKaU?t=11

Here it is now with the ferro rod attached.

KaBar with ferro rod 2.jpg

For the PR4, this looks nice.
ESEE PR4 - Randall Sheath
PR4_Randall_1__27559.1574718361.JPG
I ordered one of these sheaths a couple days ago. Kept going back and forth but finally said f*** it and ordered one. I really don’t like the sheath the PR4 comes with. Looking forward to using this one and seeing how much easier it performs. Lead time is @ 10 weeks though. WTAF.

I also have a pair of handle scales inbound for the same knife. These here:

A8AAF7D5-D9FB-4190-8E24-46D5771F9D65.jpeg

Will see how the fit and comfort is compared to the thin brown flinted scales ESEE provided.

What I’d actually prefer is to have some spacers to mod the original handle, I do like the way it looks and spacers would be perfect and much cheaper, but from everything I’ve researched you basically have to make them yourself for this particular knife and I just don’t have that kind of shop tools or knowledge. So we’ll see how these work out.

I ordered one of these sheaths a couple days ago. Kept going back and forth but finally said f*** it and ordered one. I really don’t like the sheath the PR4 comes with. Looking forward to using this one and seeing how much easier it performs. Lead time is @ 10 weeks though. WTAF.

I also have a pair of handle scales inbound for the same knife. These here:

View attachment 618898

Will see how the fit and comfort is compared to the thin brown flinted scales ESEE provided.

What I’d actually prefer is to have some spacers to mod the original handle, I do like the way it looks and spacers would be perfect and much cheaper, but from everything I’ve researched you basically have to make them yourself for this particular knife and I just don’t have that kind of shop tools or knowledge. So we’ll see how these work out.
Please post back when you get it the way you want it @cams
~Matt

Please post back when you get it the way you want it @cams
~Matt
Ten four. Will post up some pics and thoughts when I change out the scales, maybe a week from now. The sheath, shit, someone’s going to have to remind me I even ordered one in about 9 weeks. lol

So I put the new handle scales on that I mentioned above. They have a slight swell in the middle, a little thicker than the original grip, but I can’t really say yet if I like or dislike them. They need some use first. G10 material so it’s still a little smooth right now for me. I might use a rat tail file and give it some grooves for additional grip texture. Pics below, and no Randall sheath yet, got another 18 weeks to go…s/ lol

73898355-2DBC-4F46-B2AA-E21A180B368B.jpeg 11A9B5CA-FE41-43B0-9AEA-2AA6284B8301.jpeg 960537FF-D58B-44E8-9B6A-DB87768CE5E7.jpeg 66D7833C-5C0A-47DF-ADA7-D42EF25112D4.jpeg 3E659DBF-B3ED-4045-989B-7CEFCBEC32AE.jpeg

The original sheath will not fit these grips. Not even close.

524B0B83-7ED7-4AE7-8F9E-58C6E6687655.jpeg 5D8A48CF-CB14-4EB5-A0DD-E899CBA02919.jpeg F7BEC1E7-C55B-441C-9397-62B812EEED31.jpeg

Also picked up a new cat-hole tool, all titanium so very light, the teeth are actually pretty sharp to assist with roots and feels sturdy well built. The top cut outs also allow it to be used as an emergency tent stake or guideline tie.

6A173D7F-3793-4467-9408-1A521D440CF5.jpeg 7A5EF4CD-782C-468F-B010-DC3A3F71784B.jpeg 1E938244-6275-4B96-9D50-32946B652A7B.jpeg

That's not horrible on the sheath fit Cams. Have you considered soaking the sheath in warm water and then after the leather becomes pliable, slowly inserting knife
to stretch it? It may change the color of the dye though...

Once you get it to insert, try splinting on either side with shims (think popsicle sticks) and then allow to dry and condition the leather...

Stretching a Leather Sheath?

1655737785833.png 1655737750754.png

That's not horrible on the sheath fit Cams. Have you considered soaking the sheath in warm water and then after the leather becomes pliable, slowly inserting knife
to stretch it? It may change the color of the dye though...

Once you get it to insert, try splinting on either side with shims (think popsicle sticks) and then allow to dry and condition the leather...

Stretching a Leather Sheath?

View attachment 628579View attachment 628576
I hadn’t considered it but it’s an option to look at, shrinking or stretching leather is a process you need to get just right. I’ve actually been shrinking bit by bit a nice leather jacket to customize the fit for myself, the only problem I run into is that the leather shrinks, but the nylon lining doesn’t. lol

The PR4 sheaths are already very tight with the original scales and I’m just not a fan of that deep sheath carry w/only an inch or two of handle sticking out, that’s why I ordered a Randall sheath for this one.

Disclaimer; the maker of these scales does state that they do not fit the ESEE sheath up front, so no dig at them on the fit, they were honest about it.

Back
Top Bottom