SHIELD 9mm vs .40

Can you guys give me the pros and cons of each caliber for this particular gun. Especially interested to hear from people that have shot both. I was pretty settled on 9mm but have had some people convincing me to go with the .40. Keep in mind this is for concealed carry, protection at home, and for protection against bears and coyotes in the woods. All opinions welcome. thanks guys!Also would like to know if its easier finding 9mm or .40 ammo. I haven't looked for either lately.

Buy the .40 and all you need is to buy a 9mm barrel and a 9mm magazine for and you'll have both!!

You can also buy a .357 Sig barrel as well, you won't need different mags for it. Then you'll have a 3 caliber gun.

:)

Do some research though, there are some people who say there are issues, there are others that say it's flawless.

Last edited:
IMHO the shield in .9 and .40 (same gun) carries great. I have the .40 and abosultel love it. There is not a ton of difference between the rounds at the end of the day. Things like mindset, gunhandling, marksmanship, and tactics will probably outweigh the difference in the rounds.

- - - Updated - - -

IMHO the shield in .9 and .40 (same gun) carries great. I have the .40 and absolutely love it. There is not a ton of difference between the rounds at the end of the day. Things like mindset, gunhandling, marksmanship, and tactics will probably outweigh the difference in the rounds.

I chose the 9 over 40 for the extra round, less recoil in this smaller size frame pistol and you are well armed with a 9 using good defensive ammo. I like 124 or 147 gold dots.
But whatever you choose, don't use it on a bear unless you want to piss it off.

Back
Top Bottom