• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shield Conversion Barrel

bigbravehog

NES Member
I have a S&W Shield 40 and would like to be able to switch from 9/40/45 with these lone wolf barrels. Has anyone done this ? pros/cons ?
My search showed results from 2013 - need more current information.

Lone Wolf S&W M&P Shield 40 AlphaWolf Conversion Barrel 9mm Luger Stainless Black AW-2910N
Lone Wolf S&W M&P Shield 45 AlphaWolf Barrel .45 ACP Stainless Black AW-SWS45N

I have a S&W Shield 40 and would like to be able to switch from 9/40/45 with these lone wolf barrels. Has anyone done this ? pros/cons ?

Lone Wolf S&W M&P Shield 40 AlphaWolf Conversion Barrel 9mm Luger Stainless Black AW-2910N

No comment on how they apply to conversions, but I do have an Alphawolf 9mm threaded for my Shield. My original thought was going to be trying out a microbrake on it, but I slowly lost interest in the platform after I bought a P365. That and I'm a fool with my money.

Anyway, the barrel's finish is subpar in my opinion. Started showing wear around the locking lug after the first range trip. Totally cosmetic, but annoying nonetheless on something that wasn't exactly cheap. Otherwise functioned flawlessly, but maybe to be expected as my Shield gen 1 is factory 9mm. Probably shot 200-300 rounds through it with no issues other than the expected thread protector walk-off. Could blue loctite it.

I might be interested in parting with it if you end up deciding you want to go conversion. I assume this would drop into the Shield 40 (although, maybe check).

No comment on how they apply to conversions, but I do have an Alphawolf 9mm threaded for my Shield. My original thought was going to be trying out a microbrake on it, but I slowly lost interest in the platform after I bought a P365. That and I'm a fool with my money.

Anyway, the barrel's finish is subpar in my opinion. Started showing wear around the locking lug after the first range trip. Totally cosmetic, but annoying nonetheless on something that wasn't exactly cheap. Otherwise functioned flawlessly, but maybe to be expected as my Shield gen 1 is factory 9mm. Probably shot 200-300 rounds through it with no issues other than the expected thread protector walk-off. Could blue loctite it.

I might be interested in parting with it if you end up deciding you want to go conversion. I assume this would drop into the Shield 40 (although, maybe check).

thanks for the feedback and I'll keep it in mind. I do like the Shield and am proficient with it. With the ammo shortage all over the place, I want options.
Maybe i need to try the P365.

thanks for the feedback and I'll keep it in mind. I do like the Shield and am proficient with it. With the ammo shortage all over the place, I want options.
Maybe i need to try the P365.

No worries. Don't get me wrong. I still like the Shield. It's a great gun and I actually shoot it pretty good. In fact, when I first got the P365, I shot the Shield better. I kind of forced myself to get as proficient with the P365 just because it held more rounds in the same size. When it comes time to cull my subcompact 9mm collection (and that's coming soon), I'm keeping the Shield and P365.

So I guess I'm saying that I didn't mean to inadvertently promote the P365 over the Shield. With my Apex trigger, my Shield is probably a better shooter of the two. Just that for my hand, the P365 fits a bit better. That's especially true after putting the XL frame on mine. I think the Shield grip is a little too thin and a little too wide front to back (kind of an elongated oval shape). But everyone will have their own take because everyone's hands are different.

The .45 barrel is not a conversion unit. It will only fit in the Shield 45.

Putting a .40 to 9mm conversion in it seems clever. I think you'll need dedicated 9mm magazines as well, but it's cheaper than a whole new gun. Can't hurt to give it a shot.

The .45 barrel is not a conversion unit. It will only fit in the Shield 45.
Also, ^This

These are like what, under 400 dollar guns brand new? Just buy another gun, you'll thank me later. Used you could get another shield for 3 bills or so, and this
stupid CoNveRsioN barrel is going to cost you 50% of a used shield, or thereabouts, once you factor diff spring into it etc. Oh don't forget the new magazines you have to
buy. So now you're into it for like 60% of what an entire other gun would cost.

These barrels are usually a fools errand. You are nearly always better off just getting another gun.

I have to agree with drgrant. I've been looking for a shield in .40 - I have no 9mm in the house and I don't need to add yet another caliber. The 9mm is much easier to find - even used. You can get a lightly used carry pistol for a bit more than the new barrel and the mags.

These are like what, under 400 dollar guns brand new? Just buy another gun, you'll thank me later. Used you could get another shield for 3 bills or so, and this
stupid CoNveRsioN barrel is going to cost you 50% of a used shield, or thereabouts, once you factor diff spring into it etc. Oh don't forget the new magazines you have to
buy. So now you're into it for like 60% of what an entire other gun would cost.

These barrels are usually a fools errand. You are nearly always better off just getting another gun.

definitely will take the new gun approach. Thanks.
I have been a gun owner for 40+ years, but owned maybe 10 guns my whole life. My firearm purchases are strictly for self defense. This forum has been a great help. I need to buy more guns. :)

Wasn’t the shield having failures where the barrel was jammed into the frame? Some new manufacturing process causing it, as i recall

Not sure i would chance it

Was reading up on the shield before purchase and you can swap the 9 and 40 either way with normal barrels you can buy off brownells. 40 will take 9 but has tiny slop, 9 to 40 you need to file some edge for tolerance reasons nothing major.....
Forgot where I was reading it
45 nothing interchangeable

Back
Top Bottom