• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shield vs glock help

The weight of the MA compliant 10lb trigger shield never bothered me. It has a clean break and was a consistant heavy feel. The free state shield I have has a crappy trigger break. Personally, I'd rather a clean breaking heavy trigger than a lighter mushy breaking trigger. YMMV

Not sure if serious. Also the MA gun is a lot worse than 10 lbs.

I was serious. Regardless of free state or MA compliant, the shield needs a trigger job for it to be more bullseye accurate.
I think you need More trig time with one because its More than capable, trust me. I aim for 4 inch targets at 21-25 feet and hit inside all day. I like to train a lot with my carry subs. "Learn" to use it.
Also Glocks Have this sponge you speak of also

Last edited:
I love my Shield. That being said, I liked it right out of the box but took some mods before it became my full time cc.

Upgrades:
Apex trigger
HIVIZ sights
Magguts +1 magazine upgrade for the 8 rd. mags (magguts.com) so now I have 9+1's
Pearce mag extension on the 7 rd. mag
Punisher backplate
Gold filled lettering

About an additional $250 of add ons.

I'm still trying to find the perfect IWB, although I have just ordered a Technaclip, to see if I like that and just do away with the holster and use the Technaclip with a trigger guard. Anyone have thoughts or experience?

I had a G26 but it never felt quiet right in my hand, other than that I had no complaints.

Attachments

• SW Shield backplate 2.jpg
    SW Shield backplate 2.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 20
While I'm a big S&W fan, I'm not a fan of the shield. I find it to narrow in the grip for good control in rapid fire. Had one in 9mm for a week and sold it off in favor of my M&P9c. Personally, I'd go with a M&P compact or a G26/27 before I'd go for the shield. All of these give more firepower, are actually shorter in height and have better shooting behavior.

Hmmm. Ok. It's def got my wheels turning about this gun. Again guys thanks for the great advice. Anytime I need help I come here and it helps huge. I fellow officer had a shield I'm gonna shoot that soon and go to MFS and rent a glock and shoot that to see if I like it. As for my hand size I have medium size hands but are thin, not bear mitts by any means.

I was going to chime back in and say to go and shoot them both, that's the only way you are going to really tell which one you like...

Good Luck from a former LEO who use to carry a Revolver many moons ago [thinking] [wink] [grin] ...

Last edited:
Love my 43, for me, it's the perfect size.

null_77.jpg

Seeing that now I know that the Glock would never be a choice for me with my Bear Paws... [thinking]

I don't even use the small magazine in my Shield, I carry the larger one with Pierce Grips Extensions and carry two large mags, also with the Pierce Grip extension, as spares...

I was at a shop recently trying to decide between the G43 and Shield 9. I left with both[smile]

I wouldn't waste your time looking for a shield 40. More bullets are better. Shot placement trumps caliber...

If ur limited to 10rds then no reason not to go .40, unless of course ur wrists cant handle all that powah!

M&P's are garbage, garbage triggers. BLAH

I think you need More trig time with one because its More than capable, trust me. I aim for 4 inch targets at 21-25 feet and hit inside all day. I like to train a lot with my carry subs. "Learn" to use it.
Also Glocks Have this sponge you speak of also

I'm quite capable of hitting targets with stock triggers. I'm pretty sure I was the one not complaining about them originally... Also, my G43 has was crisp break, compared to my Shield.

I probably just don't know what I'm talking about because I'm an internet shooting hero and am better than everyone else at everything.. Literally everything! I actually don't even shoot guns. They're dangerous

There is a kit available from MagGuts that will add 1 round capacity to the magazine on the Shield. To me they're both great pistols, so i don't think either is a poor choice, but given the greater capacity of the Shield, especially after the MagGuts kit, that tips the scales IMO.

Glock 43 has the same mag gutz kit now and you can use it with a +1 base plate..... Neck and neck!!

Glock 43 has the same mag gutz kit now and you can use it with a +1 base plate..... Neck and neck!!

Not that it's a huge difference, but their web site says that kit is "not compatible with capacity adding magazine extensions", so the most capacity you will get is 7 rounds. With the Shield, you can get 8 or 9 rounds depending on which magazine you are adding it to.

Go with the G23 and 13 round mags. The 43 is thinner but not that much smaller otherwise. If the g23 and the g43 and the shield were sitting a table and you were heading out the door to engage zombies which would you choose? In a true gunfight(i hope you never have one) you will be thankful you have the g23.

The Shield is a great pistol. One round higher capacity than the G

+1 (Plus the Shield 9mm costs less, than the GLOCK)

I have had my Shield 9, since 2012 (no issues)

I had Lou at BEC do a trigger job (awesome trigger job at a awesome price)

I added XS big dot night sights and Talon Grips!

Now I am adding the Stream Light TRL-6 light/laser combo

PLUS "ADD" Mag Guts and have 2 extra rounds over GLOCK w/o adding size!

I have NO reservations in highly recommending the S&W Shield in 9mm!

9mmShield.jpg 3 grip back.jpg IMG_0259.JPG
Pic #1) Shield Pic #2 B.G. Shield & M&P9 for width comparison Pic #3) Shield with Talon Grips

Last edited:
The one and only time I tried out a shield I was very disappointed. I thought it was cheaply made. Slide failed to lock back. Extended mag was loose and kept moving around in my hand. Slide was difficult to pull back. Snappier than what I have heard it is. BUT I will say that it was a range rental so maybe it was beat up, not cleaned and taken cared of properly. I want to try my friends and see if there is a difference.

I have both the G43 and the Shield and prefer the Shield. Most people who have shot both at the range agree.

I don't have the 43 but do have the Shield. I agree with oilspill. I have big hands and the Shield is much more comfortable to handle.

I keep reading these threads and I'm more and more sold on the Shield for my first, even though I've never yet held one in my hand.

I'm going to be so disillusioned if I end up hating it.

Seeing that now I know that the Glock would never be a choice for me with my Bear Paws... [thinking]

I don't even use the small magazine in my Shield, I carry the larger one with Pierce Grips Extensions and carry two large mags, also with the Pierce Grip extension, as spares...

I have a + 2 extension for the glock, but I can shoot it well with my pinky off the grip - I wear a size 8 surgical glove, so I have decent sized, although not bear paws :)

I keep reading these threads and I'm more and more sold on the Shield for my first, even though I've never yet held one in my hand.

I'm going to be so disillusioned if I end up hating it.
shields not for everyone...I didn't like it...but I also didn't like the 43...try before you buy...saves you money in the short and long run...

The one and only time I tried out a shield I was very disappointed. I thought it was cheaply made. Slide failed to lock back. Extended mag was loose and kept moving around in my hand. Slide was difficult to pull back. Snappier than what I have heard it is. BUT I will say that it was a range rental so maybe it was beat up, not cleaned and taken cared of properly. I want to try my friends and see if there is a difference.

My experience was the opposite. I loved the shield and m&p 9c. I didnt like the lc9, but i have a feeling it is because of it being a rental and want to try it out again.

But on to the main discussion. I am going for shield because it is cheaper and larger capacity (also has the 8 round mag). This is my first handgun and want something affordable since i know i need a lot of accessories and ammo.

My experience was the opposite. I loved the shield and m&p 9c. I didnt like the lc9, but i have a feeling it is because of it being a rental and want to try it out again.

But on to the main discussion. I am going for shield because it is cheaper and larger capacity (also has the 8 round mag). This is my first handgun and want something affordable since i know i need a lot of accessories and ammo.
Im gonna give the shield another try but I have a feeling I'm gonna end up going with a p239 instead.

Im gonna give the shield another try but I have a feeling I'm gonna end up going with a p239 instead.
I strongly considered the P239 as well...it fit my hand great and shot well...but its 30 ounces unloaded....and pretty big for 8rds...did you try the HK P30 Sk or P2000 sk? same money as a sig p 239 but weighs a lil less and 10 rds

Love my Shield, I did get the Apex trigger done. Several hundred rounds without any issues, the thing is built well and shoots great. I appendix carry and it's very comfortable. I'm a Glock guy but can't see any reason to change from the Shield.

I strongly considered the P239 as well...it fit my hand great and shot well...but its 30 ounces unloaded....and pretty big for 8rds...did you try the HK P30 Sk or P2000 sk? same money as a sig p 239 but weighs a lil less and 10 rds
The reason I considered the p239 is that it's the identical function wise to my main pistol. The P226.
Als because I can swap barrels and have 9mm/.40/.357 Sig.

Back
Top Bottom