• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shield vs SR9c

Terminator,

The P9 is larger than the PM9.

The P9 is about even with a Glock 26 in size, except its much thinner because its a single stack. Its a nice shooting gun. Its just big enough to let you get your pinky on the grip for a full hand hold without a mag extension.

The P9 holds 7 rounds in the standard mag just like the shield, whereas the PM9 holds 6.

P9 Vs G26
_g26p9sizes2.jpg

This is a clip of me shooting the P9. Yes, I know I'm agonizingly slow. I was having trouble with short
stroking the trigger and missing the reset on the previous run, so this time i was very deliberate.

But my point is, look at the gun. Its very well controlled. I find the Kahr to be very easy to shoot compared to other
small 9mms. But thats just my opinion. I think you had the right idea to go to Hoffmans and try these guns out.

Also, the CW9 is the less expensive version of the P9 and the
CM9 is the less expensive version of the PM9. The C series are still great guns.

[video=youtube_share;oVn9UmWxzmE]http://youtu.be/oVn9UmWxzmE[/video]

Last edited:
Do you mean "PM9", or is the P9 something different? If it's the PM9, I have been looking at/considering trading in my BG for one of those.

Try the PM9 with a Hogue grip on it. Makes a world of difference (for ~$10) wrt perceived recoil. No idea where you really are located but you are welcome to try mine out at Mansfield F&G if you'd like.

Trying to stick with a 9mm round over the .380 otherwise I would be very interested in the Lc9 or even a P238 would have been ideal (I'm a sucker for a good sig... if I had the dough that is).

See above. Kahr PM9 is probably a good choice (at least to look at and try shooting) for you. No idea where you really are located but you are welcome to try mine out at Mansfield F&G if you'd like.

I'd also be happy to let you try out the P9 at Mass Rifle.

I used to have a PM9 but got rid of it because I didn't think it gave any advantage over the P9 since I don't pocket carry it (too heavy) or carry IWB (I've gained some weight in the last year).

But here's the funny part. I don't find the P9 to be much more shootable than the PM. I owned both together for a short time and with the extended mag on the PM9, it brought the grip length up to the P9s length. With the ability to get my pinkee on the grip of the PM, I was able to shoot almost as well as I can with the P. If it sounds like I'm torn, I am. It won't cost me anything to switch, but I can't justify owning both. I really think the Kahr stuff is under appreciated. Now if they could just shorten that reset.

don

Have any proof, or is this just personal opinion? I ask because of everyone I have ever spoken to that has familiarity with both the M&P and Ruger always recommends the Ruger as being much better out of the box, and I have never read a single review ANYWHERE that says anything bad with regard to reliability either, but have with Smith products. I have products from both makers, so I'm not a fanboy of either. The M&P starts out at a higher price, then you have to spend an additional c-note (at least in MA) to get it to have a half decent trigger. Just wondering what, besides the single stack size difference makes the Shield a "superior gun for CCW"?

uhh what ^^^^ said? if you got an opinion thats fine, everyone has one like an arse. But outright saying to someone that one is definately more "ideal" is assinine.

aside from the fact that i worked in a high volume firearms retail store for the better part of 5 years and probably spend more time on a range with students with different guns all across the country...yes...plenty of proof.

The rugers i saw on the retail side of things were coming back with several issues. jamming, FTF, usually burs on the barrel mostly. Alot of them choked in classes because they cant be run dry.

M&Ps VERY rarely came back, when they did it was usually user error. I've very rarely seen m&ps fail on ranges that is not user related or some home "gunsmithing" issue

Lol, sorry, when I read it, my brain read "LCP". It's been a looooong day.

Yes, the LC9 is something I'd be interested in! I've heard that about the trigger, but just how bad are we talking??

Bad. Long and a hard pull. If you're going to Hanson this Sunday, my shootin' buddy will be there and I'm sure she'll bring her LC9. The trigger's smoothed out after several hundred rounds, but it's still a long pull. Nothing's going to change that. Except replacing it with an aftermarket trigger.

Terminator,

The P9 is larger than the PM9.

The P9 is about even with a Glock 26 in size, except its much thinner because its a single stack. Its a nice shooting gun. Its just big enough to let you get your pinky on the grip for a full hand hold without a mag extension.

The P9 holds 7 rounds in the standard mag just like the shield, whereas the PM9 holds 6.

P9 Vs G26
_g26p9sizes2.jpg

This is a clip of me shooting the P9. Yes, I know I'm agonizingly slow. I was having trouble with short
stroking the trigger and missing the reset on the previous run, so this time i was very deliberate.

But my point is, look at the gun. Its very well controlled. I find the Kahr to be very easy to shoot compared to other
small 9mms. But thats just my opinion. I think you had the right idea to go to Hoffmans and try these guns out.

Also, the CW9 is the less expensive version of the P9 and the
CM9 is the less expensive version of the PM9. The C series are still great guns.

[video=youtube_share;oVn9UmWxzmE]http://youtu.be/oVn9UmWxzmE[/video]

Thank you for answering that, and describing the differences. I had no idea that there were 2 different models using such a similar name. I did know about the CM9, but not sure if they are available in MA like the PM9.

Try the PM9 with a Hogue grip on it. Makes a world of difference (for ~$10) wrt perceived recoil. No idea where you really are located but you are welcome to try mine out at Mansfield F&G if you'd like.

See above. Kahr PM9 is probably a good choice (at least to look at and try shooting) for you. No idea where you really are located but you are welcome to try mine out at Mansfield F&G if you'd like.

Thanks for the tip, and if I ever get out that way, I might just take you up on that.[wink] I live in Western, MA btw.

aside from the fact that i worked in a high volume firearms retail store for the better part of 5 years and probably spend more time on a range with students with different guns all across the country...yes...plenty of proof.

The rugers i saw on the retail side of things were coming back with several issues. jamming, FTF, usually burs on the barrel mostly. Alot of them choked in classes because they cant be run dry.

M&Ps VERY rarely came back, when they did it was usually user error. I've very rarely seen m&ps fail on ranges that is not user related or some home "gunsmithing" issue

Ok, thanks for answering that. That is actually the first I have ever read/heard of those types of issues with the Ruger. My barrel was pretty nicely machined out of the box, but I ended up polishing it (and the feed ramps), so no worries of those types of malfunctions for me.[wink]

But what you have experienced does not mirror the vast majority. I love M&P's, but when they came out they sure had their teething issues and still to say one is more ideal than the other is purely circumstantial and opinion. What if it doesnt fit the OP's hand? or budget?

Once again having an opinion is fine, and thats just what it is.

Lol, sorry, when I read it, my brain read "LCP". It's been a looooong day.

Yes, the LC9 is something I'd be interested in! I've heard that about the trigger, but just how bad are we talking??

It's long, but not very heavy...I like the gun a lot, will probably do a mod soon to fix the trigger travel

My criticism of he LC9 centers mostly around the fact that its not a fun gun to shoot. They function very well. I've sold a couple of dozen of them and had no complaints other than that the recoil was sharper than expected.

The LC9 fits right between the Kahr PM9 and P9 in size and weight. But is much less enjoyable to shoot. What that means to me is that I will be less likely to shoot it and will therefore be less proficient with it.

I understand that many carry guns are not fun to shoot, but if alternatives that are fun to shoot are available, its worth spending more for the alternative.
In the case of something like a LCP or a 340/342 revolver, then the snappiness comes with the territory, but in a mini 9, its definitely avoidable.

Don

Well.... drum roll please... I got the M&P 9C after all. I tried all guns again and with the medium back strap, the M&P 9c actually felt the best to hold and most balanced. I can alway get a trigger job in the future if i decide i want it. I got a great trade in price for my S&W model 469, so the 9c cost me $215.00 out of pocket. Very happy with my purchase. Jerry

Well now it appears I'm in the market for an SR9C. Anyone in the Central Mass/Metrowest areas have one they'd be willing to let me put a couple rounds through? I'd like to give it a feel before I purchase. You would of course be welcome to anything we have or perhaps some baked goods?? We belong at Hopkinton and will be there on Sunday. Also, we will be at Bass River on Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom