Ship stripped lower back to manufacturer?

hv55maxx

NES Member
Northwest Assachusetts where the dragons be
Giving up on 308 lower that takes ptr91 mags and the manufacturer said they'd replace with AR308 style. Obviously a new one needs to go through a dealer transfer but can I ship the old stripped one back directly to manufacturer? Or does that need to touch an FFL to ship directly back to manufacturer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can send it back yourself, but I'm not sure where it would fall in regulations regarding USPS and/or Overnight Delivery.

Why not have a dealer handle it? You could make those overworked Federal employees at the PO nervous. If you call it "Parts," and heaven forbid, something actually happens, you may wish you had gone that route. just my opinion.

Shipped UPS or FedEx only, NOT USPO.

Read the regs carefully as I'm not certain if a lower is categorized the same as a handgun by them wrt shipping or not. If not, ship ground.

ATF Regs...
A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

Trick is does the ATF consider the lower a handgun or a rifle? Whereas they only allow a transfer to occur in the state of the buyers residence, it would seem to follow they treat as a handgun.

This is a good thread for shipping concerns: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...s-amp-Ammo-for-Dummies-2016?highlight=dummies

If it were mine I would ship it as a LONG GUN - but I'm not going to advise you to do that, as I'm neither an expert nor a lawyer.

I may even ship it in a long and thin box so it looks more like a COMPLETE LONG GUN.

BTW, I've found the ATF is easy to reach on the phone, unlike nearly every other government agency.

I'd call them to set my mind at ease.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom