• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shipping to an FFL Question.

Ok so I think I'm about to run into a serious snag with a seller off of gunbroker.

I bought a rifle off of gunbroker that is scheduled to arrive at my FFL today. I emailed him to verify that he sent a copy of his drivers license with the rifle and he replied with "no, I do not give out copies of my ID" Now, my question is, specifically to those who hold an FFL, are you required to have some form of id from the seller to log it into your books? I know my ffl is going to require this and given his responses to some things I doubt very highly this guy is going to give me any form of ID. He has a very high rating on GB so I know he's not some one off wacko or anything, I just think he plays by his own set of rules. I just don't want this being sent back to the guy and have to go through this whole mess over a 2k rifle.

I thought they had to exchange copies of their FFL licenses? At least that's what was done every time I bought guns online.

every time i have had firearms shipped between FFL's, they swap FFL licenses via fax or email.
I cannot see why an FFL would have to provide a drivers license....that seems unnecessary and if i were an 01FFL I wouldn't want to send my DL either.

if the receiving FFL in MA is requiring a drivers license, then your issue is the MA-FFL so find a better one.

usually I will request their FFL # and verify it with the EZcheck
https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

I thought they had to exchange copies of their FFL licenses? At least that's what was done every time I bought guns online.
Seller is not required to have an FFl to sell guns interstate as long as the receiver is an FFL. The guy he bought it from probably isn't an FFL holder.

if the sender is not an 01FFL, then yes I would think the receiving 01FFL needs some information to log the firearm source. I don't think the receiving 01FFL can simply leave their books blank as to the source of gun.

when my family has sent to out-of-state FFL's, they request photo ID (usually DL or firearms license).
tell the sender to put some electrical tape over the DOB and DL# if he's worried about his identity.

perhaps send the seller the receiving FFL # and let him check by EZcheck website so he feels more comfortable.
if the seller still cannot provide basic identification to an FFL then don't give him your $$

Seller is not required to have an FFl to sell guns interstate as long as the receiver is an FFL. The guy he bought it from probably isn't an FFL holder.

Ahh yes. I assumed the seller had an FFL. I've never bought guns on GB from someone without an FFL.

Cant the FFL use the return address on the box ?

One would assume right? The FFL I use is saying they require an actual ID, I'm just trying to figure out if this is law or policy.

Did you get anything fun?!

HK USC with 7 factory mags all BNIB

The dealer needs a name and address for the bound book. If it is not correct, the world won't come to an end. The DL could be any one's. Jack.

So my question is, is the name and address on the box enough to log it in, or do you need an actual copy of the drivers license. I just don't want this thing getting sent back cause it seems the seller does not want to give out a copy of his ID and was miffed my FFL wouldn't give him a copy of the FFL only the ez check number. If the stuff on the box will suffice I will just speak with them this afternoon about it when I go there.

^^^This. I have an FFL close to me. He insists that all incoming guns have to come from an FFL holder. He says that it's THE LAW!!! It's not. I'm not going to argue with him. His shop, his rules. I simply conduct my transactions through another shop. If the guy you're buying from isn't using an FFL on his end, and your dealer insists on it, you're probably going to have a problem.

The dealer needs a name and address for the bound book. If it is not correct, the world won't come to an end. The DL could be any one's. Jack.

Once again, Jack is correct. Unless the person presenting the ID is standing right in front of you for verification, the ID could be from anyone. To insist on a copy of an ID being enclosed with the gun really doesn't prove anything.

I hope the transaction goes smoothly for you. For the future, you may want to scout around for an FFL whose policy adheres to the law and nothing more. It will make your life much easier.

^^^This. I have an FFL close to me. He insists that all incoming guns have to come from an FFL holder. He says that it's THE LAW!!! It's not. I'm not going to argue with him. His shop, his rules. I simply conduct my transactions through another shop. If the guy you're buying from isn't using an FFL on his end, and your dealer insists on it, you're probably going to have a problem.

Once again, Jack is correct. Unless the person presenting the ID is standing right in front of you for verification, the ID could be from anyone. To insist on a copy of an ID being enclosed with the gun really doesn't prove anything.

I hope the transaction goes smoothly for you. For the future, you may want to scout around for an FFL whose policy adheres to the law and nothing more. It will make your life much easier.

I'm going to go there today and ask them if the information I have is sufficient. I'm hoping it is, cause this guy isn't returning my calls or emails at this point, and I really don't want the rifle being sent back to him, cause god knows what would happen at that point. As for the FFL, this will be the third rifle I've had sent to them, and I sent one out through them, and they have been absolutely FANTASTIC. I'm on a first name basis with everyone in the shop, so I'm hoping if I talk to the owners they will be reasonable and accept the rifle into their books.

most FFL's i know won't provide copies of their FFL license to non-FFLs. personally i don't blame them.
the EZ check system is more than adequate for a non-FFL like myself to verify the address of a 01FFL and feel comfortable shipping a firearm to the listed address.

it sounds like your receiving FFL is asking for basic verification of the sender's identify. as pointed out earlier, there is no proof that the sender is indeed the ID received. not like it's notorized or anything.
i don't think your receiving FFL in MA is asking too much to simply have name, address and picture ID of sender.

being an FFL in MA is a whole different ballgame than being an FFL in some gun-loving state....some people in other states have no appreciation for the legal atmosphere of this fine nanny state.

Last edited:
One would assume right? The FFL I use is saying they require an actual ID, I'm just trying to figure out if this is law or policy.

It is not a law. But a lot of dealers have such policy.

So my question is, is the name and address on the box enough to log it in, or do you need an actual copy of the drivers license. I just don't want this thing getting sent back cause it seems the seller does not want to give out a copy of his ID and was miffed my FFL wouldn't give him a copy of the FFL only the ez check number. If the stuff on the box will suffice I will just speak with them this afternoon about it when I go there.

DL is not required by law and your dealer has only so much time to log in firearms after receipt. I don't think he will be willing to "just send it back to the return address on the package" either, if he already accepted the package and opened it. Your best bet would be to work with either FFL or seller to change their policy just this time for you...

Related somewhat is there any chance if someone moves from texas to mass and sell this to me thru an FFL...full auto

Sent from the blind

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1402069474674.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1402069474674.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 24
Being an FFL in MA is a whole different ballgame than being an FFL in some gun-loving state....some people in other states have no appreciation for the legal atmosphere of this fine nanny state.
Amen. I am getting ready to do my first "incoming transfer" ever and I'm a little nervous about it. So much crap to consider... including widely varying fees and the (nonexistent but all-important) Marsha List. [thinking] Any recommendations for an affordable FFL in SE MA or MetroWest "whose policy adheres to the law and nothing more" (as Center442 puts it) would be really appreciated.

Amen. I am getting ready to do my first "incoming transfer" ever and I'm a little nervous about it. So much crap to consider... including widely varying fees and the (nonexistent but all-important) Marsha List. [thinking] Any recommendations for an affordable FFL in SE MA or MetroWest "whose policy adheres to the law and nothing more" (as Center442 puts it) would be really appreciated.

Your best bet would be to call several shops in your area and specifically tell them what you want to transfer in. Although something may be perfectly legal, individual shops have their own policies and won't do something that they're uncomfortable with. It also helps if you have a shop that you've dealt with in the past. If they know you they may be more willing to make an exception to their policy...always staying within the law, of course.

Get your ducks in a row before you have the item shipped. It's also helpful if the shop knows you're expecting an incoming gun. Sometimes a gun will arrive at a shop with no paperwork saying who it's intended for. I once had two guns arrive at my local shop with no paperwork saying who they were going to. [thinking] Fortunately I had told the dealer to expect them so when they arrived they knew who to call.

Prices will vary, and sometimes are determined by what you're bringing in. I know of one shop that charges $20 for used guns and $40 for new ones. Call and ask, or even better, stop in and ask. A personal visit lets the dealer know that you've invested the time and effort to come through their door in an attempt to do business. Sometimes the personal touch goes a long way. If the dealer agrees to do the transfer for you it wouldn't hurt to buy some ammo or accessories and ask him to hold them for you until you pick up the gun. Let the guy know that you're willing to support his business if he'll work with you.

Your best bet would be to call several shops in your area and specifically tell them what you want to transfer in. Although something may be perfectly legal, individual shops have their own policies and won't do something that they're uncomfortable with. It also helps if you have a shop that you've dealt with in the past. If they know you they may be more willing to make an exception to their policy...always staying within the law, of course.

Get your ducks in a row before you have the item shipped. It's also helpful if the shop knows you're expecting an incoming gun. Sometimes a gun will arrive at a shop with no paperwork saying who it's intended for. I once had two guns arrive at my local shop with no paperwork saying who they were going to. [thinking] Fortunately I had told the dealer to expect them so when they arrived they knew who to call.

Prices will vary, and sometimes are determined by what you're bringing in. I know of one shop that charges $20 for used guns and $40 for new ones. Call and ask, or even better, stop in and ask. A personal visit lets the dealer know that you've invested the time and effort to come through their door in an attempt to do business. Sometimes the personal touch goes a long way. If the dealer agrees to do the transfer for you it wouldn't hurt to buy some ammo or accessories and ask him to hold them for you until you pick up the gun. Let the guy know that you're willing to support his business if he'll work with you.
Thanks for the reply. What I want brought in shouldn't be controversial in the least, but my preferred local shop wasn't able to tell me if they could accept it or not. It's on the EOPS List... but, of course, the super-secret, nonexistent Marsha List is a whole 'nother matter. [thinking] It's apparently all about SKUs and I can't verify for certain that the gun I see on-line has a MA-Okay SKU. Bottom line is that they rely on their regular distributor(s) to verify new gun SKUs as being MA-Okay. For incoming transfers from out-of-state, it's apparently not that easy for them.

Another favorite FFL may be having financial problems so I'm not going to risk a purchase through them right now. A third favored local FFL is closed until mid-June... hence my search for an affordable FFL who is good with incoming new gun transfers and goes by the law and not anything more. I don't need this buy to get held up over some silly crap issue.

BTW, a bigger issue with me is bringing in older (but still modern) collector guns predating all the "List" crap we put up with these days. Some collectors seem to know how to do that. I don't. Seems that I need a lesson on how to be a successful gun collector in Massachusetts these days... if that is even possible.

Last edited:
Many dealers won't accept guns shipped by non-licensees. I suspect that it can partly be that not all folks are able to pack and ship forearms properly. You wouldn't believe the crude packaging that I've seen over the years. Jack

When I have shipped to out of state FFLs I always include a copy of my DL for the dealer as requested up front during the transaction.

Many dealers won't accept guns shipped by non-licensees. I suspect that it can partly be that not all folks are able to pack and ship forearms properly. You wouldn't believe the crude packaging that I've seen over the years. Jack
My FFL won't accept from non dealers(1776) said because those on the other end sometimes steal and use their FFL number.

Ask the sender for a copy if his DL.

Tell him that is is fine to cover up the DL number, birthday, and photo.

If your request is denied, return to sender because he's hiding something.

Anyone who sells on gun broker must give up a little anonymity.

You could also contact gun broker for advice.

At this point though, the seller may not care much. He already has your money.

You could also work this problem from the other end.

Print out the sellers name and address from gun broker and try to explain to your ffl that he is verified and has good feedback.

Maybe even have your ffl call him on his gun broker phone number and verify that it is a listed number with his name.

It is not such a bad request to verify who is selling a two thousand dollar item.

My FFL won't accept from non dealers(1776) said because those on the other end sometimes steal and use their FFL number.

The number is useless if the name and address are falsified.

You can confirm on ATF ez check.

Ask the sender for a copy if his DL.

Tell him that is is fine to cover up the DL number, birthday, and photo.

If your request is denied, return to sender because he's hiding something.

Anyone who sells on gun broker must give up a little anonymity.

You could also contact gun broker for advice.

At this point though, the seller may not care much. He already has your money.

You could also work this problem from the other end.

Print out the sellers name and address from gun broker and try to explain to your ffl that he is verified and has good feedback.

Maybe even have your ffl call him on his gun broker phone number and verify that it is a listed number with his name.

It is not such a bad request to verify who is selling a two thousand dollar item.

I ended up getting him to agree to it. He was a little miffed, and I guess I can see where he is coming from, but alas, I should be picking it up tomorrow. GIGITTY!

Back
Top Bottom