• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shipping to Manufacturer

Hey guys. I wondering if anybody had a quick link to the ATF Site or some other legal site that would be able to prove that it is legal for a consumer/gun owner to ship a firearm back to the manufacturer. I just foresee problems, as I am getting ready to Fed Ex my 1911 back to S&W for a finish repair. Thanks guys.

FedEx

I shipped my 4013 back earlier in the year and FedEx could not have been more helpful. I used the Stratham, NH location. Plus all my shipment from CMP have been right on time.[grin]

I have to assume S&W is well aware of the shipping issues from different states. Don't ship the gun loaded with ammunition, obviously.

Personal experience:

I have shipped guns back to S&W for repair 3 times. Each time S&W provided a pre-paid label. I just dropped the package off at a FedEx depot, the clerk took one look and said "you're all set" and I was off! No mention of what was in it (read the Fed Regs on this . . . most contend that if going to a Licensee you do NOT have to tell the common carrier, only if going to a NON-Licensee). At any rate I made the assumption since S&W setup the account, their account is notated that most often the shipment is a gun. [devil]

Since I setup online accounts with FedEx and UPS, one can make your "notification" in the shipping notes (careful so that it does NOT print on the label - if it does you are in violation of Fed Law) that it is a gun is all that is necessary since FedEx and UPS see these "blind notes" in your shipment info.

Does anybody else in NY know if this is consistent with state law? I have done this a few times while I lived in VA. There are just so many restrictions placed on the law abiding citizen in NY. Unlike VA, if there is no law saying that you CAN do something, it must be illegal.

You need to ship directly with a "common carrier" - a legal term which means they they do not legally have "posession" of the contents of the box. "Pack & Send" stores (including the UPS stores) and the UPS services offered by places like Staples and Office Max do not have "common carrier" status and will not knowingly accept a package with a firearm. If you give such a non common carrier a package with a gun, you have most likley handed a firearm to an unlicensed individual.

There is a UPS depot on Rt. 126 in Ashland and a Fedex depot in Framingham (on or near NY avenue - near the Bose Mountain)

Back
Top Bottom