• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting 22lr

I almost always bring a .22 with me when I go to the range because it is indeed cheap to shoot and even during these panic days I had already amassed a decent amount of .22 LR as any time I'd order ammo online, I'd always get a brick of CCI Standard or whatever was cheap. I decided a year or two ago to only stock half a dozen types of .22 LR, so everything that isn't one of those 6 gets shot up first.

People will poo poo the .22 for defense and yeah, it's not great, but it's not a sharp stick either. When I can carry 1000 rds easily and engage out to 50 yards, I'd say it's worth owning and shooting .22's regularly and stocking ammo.

I still have a deep seated hate of .22LR but I've gotten into recovery, the G44 goes out almost every range trip. Typically i shoot 100, 150 rounds of it maybe. One of these days i might even get myself a Ruger MKIV.

I sold my MKIV and bought a TC/R22 semi auto rifle. The MKIV is definitely so reliable it's boring. It's also like shooting a cap gun. LOL

EB008DA6-9C2F-4C1A-96F6-3E15F6B73B31.jpeg Its nice when they shoot well. New Eley Manufactured wolf match extra 100 yards , I have it set up for 200 yards so my aim point is about 20” low.
The little ghost ring is .30” Im sure if I was a little better that group would be tighter.
Same rifle with CCI standard and Golden Eagle target will group around 1.5-2” at 100 yards.
Now if im shooting well , no wind , prone , bags front and rear Eley Tenex will leave a nice 1” hole.

I've been shooting .22 more lately. I shoot a 1022 at the club and a 9422 lever action &1890 pump in the back yard. I didn't need another .22 rifle but the 1890 was sitting in the gun library at Cabelas and was very cheap. I believe the 1890 is the original gallery gun but when I was a kid the 1890s were long gone from the carnivals.

Want to have some serious fun with a 22 rifle? We buy some "experienced" golf balls and toss them out on the plinking range. It is a blast.

We can't toss them out on our range, but I put screw eyes in a few and hang them at 100 yards.

Was at the range today and there was a gentleman at the rifle range having a ball a with couple of beautiful old 22s. One was a bolt action, I believe a Mossberg made in 1936.............. Pete

I shoot golf balls at 100 yards with a Mossberg 35B (made in 1938) with a Mossberg 3/4" scope on it and I can hit it almost every time.

I have more .22's than any other type of gun.

Same here. And more 10/22's than any other model of firearms.

We can't toss them out on our range, but I put screw eyes in a few and hang them at 100 yards.

I shoot golf balls at 100 yards with a Mossberg 35B (made in 1938) with a Mossberg 3/4" scope on it and I can hit it almost every time.

Same here. And more 10/22's than any other model of firearms.
Nice , mossberg 35b , to bad mossberg does not put out rifles like that anymore.

I have quite a few old mossbergs and they shoot awesome. Not all that long ago a decent Mossberg .22 could be had for $100. I bought them whenever I saw them.
Back in 2015 while working in Maine I have stopped by KTP. Walked out with a Mossberg 46 b(a) for....$150? One of the best shooters I ever had. Deep rifling grooves and heavy walnut stock.

I have my granddad's Mossberg 44b that he used on his HS rifle team in the late 30's. He and his brother both had one. The machine company he worked for had a 50 yard indoor range for their employees to have a rifle and pistol league. Granddad said bowling was for plumbers, rifles were for machinists.
He used that rifle til pretty near the day he died Shoots great to this day.

Back
Top Bottom