• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting at 200 yards.

Hopefully it won't take you over a hundred rounds to zero in your rifle:)
a lot of presumptions there, really. every new barrel will have nodes not exactly same as old one... i guess he uses same load he has, and just learns new barrel every time.
not sure how it would work, really, if barrel life is that short, and you expect it to be same 0.1MOA good.

Backed down from my goal of hunting deer and elk out to 300 yards. Worked on 200 yards today. Shooting prone with my pack and sitting using the pack as the brace. Decent crosswind, probably 15 knots or so. I'm sighted at 100 yards. I do not dial for distance. Much better results then my 300 yard trials. Aimed about 3 inches high and a couple inches left to deal with the wind. Starting to understand the wind thing a bit more. It comes into play at these distances and you just need to deal with it. Well, plenty of chance to practice it where I live, haha.

Happier with my results. All within 3 to 4 inches of center of target. I can live with that, especially if I'm sighted on an elk.

So for this season, my limit is 225 yards max for hunting. I will keep practicing shooting off my pack right through the season, which starts Saturday.
I zeroed my .223 Savage bolt-action rifle to hit dead-on at 200 yards. 200 is a good zero. Few of us here in New England will be, realistically, shooting past that distance.

Being "chaired off the range" is a really cool tradition. Very common in the Commonwealth countries, but not here in the US.
One of the comments on the Justin Wolf picture was that the spotter should also get a chair ride. These competitions are really a team effort and the spotter is at least 50% responsible (some would say even more). The spotter has the most difficult task, which is to read the wind. At 2 miles, figuring out what the wind along the way will do to the bullet is incredibly hard. Over that long of a range it's not going to be constant in either speed or direction. You have to look at the vegetation along the whole path of flight and then decide what the correction should be. You need to get that first shot close enough so you can spot it and then give additional detailed corrections to the shooter. In many ways the shooter has the easier job; just dial in the corrections and pull the trigger.

Backed down from my goal of hunting deer and elk out to 300 yards. Worked on 200 yards today. Shooting prone with my pack and sitting using the pack as the brace. Decent crosswind, probably 15 knots or so. I'm sighted at 100 yards. I do not dial for distance. Much better results then my 300 yard trials. Aimed about 3 inches high and a couple inches left to deal with the wind. Starting to understand the wind thing a bit more. It comes into play at these distances and you just need to deal with it. Well, plenty of chance to practice it where I live, haha.

Happier with my results. All within 3 to 4 inches of center of target. I can live with that, especially if I'm sighted on an elk.

So for this season, my limit is 225 yards max for hunting. I will keep practicing shooting off my pack right through the season, which starts Saturday.
Your starting to understand
Point blank range.
You zero for 3-4 inches high at 100 yards you can hit the vital zone out to about 300 yards with your average deer cartridge. Then a little hold for wind if you must.

Back
Top Bottom