• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting at Dorchester gun range

Not a lot of info here. Hopefully not a dupe, didn’t see it posted yet.

Ugh.. I hope someone didn't commit suicide again at the BGRA. Sounds like this occurred around 3pm which is when the range ends LEO/Coast Guard training for the day and opens to club members or RSO supervised appointment only public shooting.

Damn. I never knew there was a gun range behind Fields Corner. My racist grandfather called it "The African Queen."

Someone's Faulkner'd on this one.

Damn. I never knew there was a gun range behind Fields Corner. My racist grandfather called it "The African Queen."

Someone's Faulkner'd on this one.
Club's been around since 1976.

I think it was a suicide.
Report Date & Time Complaint # Occurrence Date & Time Officer 12/20/2021 4:39:19 PM 212093059-00 12/20/2021 2:57:00 PM Location of Occurrence 7 FAULKNER ST Nature of Incident DEATH INVESTIGATION

And now the cheapest house within a block is a $493,000 two bedroom condo with no parking.
$509-510 according to Zillow. 749k, 950k, 990k, 1.28m, and 1.55m for the other properties.
There is a range there?

Damn.

Last edited:
B&D Reloaders in Hyde Park. Great gun store!
Holy sh*t, wtf is going on here.
First, there is a gun range in Dorchester.
Now you tell me there is a gun store in Hyde Park, right next to the PD? ... I drove by there 100 times, never saw it.

Mind blown.

Edit ... just found this:

And now the cheapest house within a block is a $493,000 two bedroom condo with no parking.

That part of Dorchester is funny. There are all these beaten delinquent landlord triple deckers with section 8 tenants, but a couple streets over, there are $2M houses. Really screws with the median neighborhood pricing.

Mill.jpg

That part of Dorchester is funny. There are all these beaten delinquent landlord triple deckers with section 8 tenants, but a couple streets over, there are $2M houses. Really screws with the median neighborhood pricing.

View attachment 555097
Boston is like that, travel 1 mile and you go from section 8 to million dollar homes.

When I bought my place the first appraiser f*cked up and I had to switch banks. The idiot compared with places like 3 miles away in some ghetto a** neighborhood. I was like "dude, I am surrounded by $800K properties, the place across the street is on sale for $850K, and you are comparing with some section 8 place 3 miles away?".

The second one did a much better job with property selection.

Apparently the problem is there aren't that many homes on sales, or that many recent sales, so it is harder for them.

Boston is like that, travel 1 mile and you go from section 8 to million dollar homes.

When I bought my place the first appraiser f*cked up and I had to switch banks. The idiot compared with places like 3 miles away in some ghetto a** neighborhood. I was like "dude, I am surrounded by $800K properties, the place across the street is on sale for $850K, and you are comparing with some section 8 place 3 miles away?".

The second one did a much better job with property selection.

Apparently the problem is there aren't that many homes on sales, or that many recent sales, so it is harder for them.

Appraisers are tricky. Sometimes it just comes down to getting chummy with someone or already knowing them from a prior job, and next thing you know you get top dollar when they "find" better comps. Same goes with adjusters. It can be worth it to shop around for both.

My then girlfriend now wife lived in the "good" part of Dorchester for a few years out of college back in the 90's. Rented an apartment in a triple decker from Nick the Old Irish Guy.
It was nice, all Irish, but 2 blocks over was trouble. I wonder if this area she was in is burnt out now. I should look up her old address.

I was a member back in the 90's,and also use to train the Brinks guys there.It's was a nice place with some great people working there.
Mike,Pat,Bob,and Mort.I wonder who is left?

My then girlfriend now wife lived in the "good" part of Dorchester for a few years out of college back in the 90's. Rented an apartment in a triple decker from Nick the Old Irish Guy.
It was nice, all Irish, but 2 blocks over was trouble. I wonder if this area she was in is burnt out now. I should look up her old address.

The east side of Dorchester is generally nicer in my opinion. Savin Hill area is almost its own separate town. But that's not to dismiss the few diamonds in the rough on the west side. Just that parts of the center and west side can get a little sketchy at night (and the day, on some streets).

Look it up and let us know. Thanks.

I spent a lot of time there as a competition shooter, LEO, and later LEO Instructor. I think I have still have keys to the place somewhere. There was lots of lead flying around in there. Bob Phillips, one of the regular instructors, died from lead poisoning. One of our LEO instructors had way too much lead in his system and was advised by his doctor to stay out of there. Now they don't allow lead bullets. I haven't talked to Pat in years. I still talk to Mike occasionally. No idea what happened to Mort.

I used to go there alot in the early 90's. Mike opened the doors to me after I happened upon the place while working on a case. Good facility. That neigborhood, the streets behind there-Leroy and Ditson were the epicenter of serious crime in the fields corner area at the time.

View attachment 555097
i know that house on Savin hill. There was a big fire there a few years ago. That whole area is “Stab N Kill”.

Not a lot of info here. Hopefully not a dupe, didn’t see it posted yet.

The initial report is literally a news report about nothing. What’s the point of even reporting it

Appraisers are tricky. Sometimes it just comes down to getting chummy with someone or already knowing them from a prior job, and next thing you know you get top dollar when they "find" better comps. Same goes with adjusters. It can be worth it to shop around for both.
Lol, the last appraiser I had charged extra because my house was “hard”. He came in and did his shit, asked me what I thought it was worth and then just put down the Zillow estimate lol. What a scam.

Back
Top Bottom