Shooting Death at Range in CA

Do a Google search for "Shooting Death at Range in CA", it seems like the popular suicide destination.

Well....

since CA has strict gun laws (no assault weapons, no NFA items and handgun permits are hard to come by) stuff like this outta seal the coffin for good for pro gun people out there..... [frown] Just another reason for the antis to pound on the 2nd amendment some more.

that sucks...[crying]

Well....

since CA has strict gun laws (no assault weapons, no NFA items and handgun permits are hard to come by) stuff like this outta seal the coffin for good for pro gun people out there..... [frown] Just another reason for the antis to pound on the 2nd amendment some more.

that sucks...[crying]

But surely with the strict gun laws in CA things like this should never happen? [rolleyes]

Need to sign up to read.
I signed up... they think I'm a 17 yo female from zip code 01234 who makes under 20K. [rolleyes] I frickin' hate those surveys and NEVER give them correct information.

Man dies after accidentally shooting himself at Riverside range

Police say a surveillance video shows that the 24-year-old shot himself in the head while 'kind of fumbling around' with a handgun.

From a Times Staff Writer
November 24, 2007

A 24-year-old Riverside man died Friday morning after accidentally shooting himself in the head at a local firing range, police said.

Surveillance video from the Riverside Magnum indoor public shooting range showed the man loading a handgun and appearing to inadvertently fire a single shot to his head just moments after arriving.

The video showed the man "kind of fumbling around" as if he were unfamiliar with the weapon, said Lt. Paul Villanueva of the Riverside Police Department. Range employees give customers basic instructions before they shoot, said manager Fred Buchholz, who added that this was the first such incident at the range.

Authorities are investigating the incident. The man's name is being withheld pending notification of his family.

I like that ranges allow rentals like Manchester, but from what i've seen, the "instruction" is almost always nothing more than a "pull this back, point it that way and pull the trigger" and having them sign a list of ten gun safety rules. Muzzle sweeping is absurd and I cringe every few moments when i am waiting for lane time on the odd times that I go there. While getting the public to learn and get to shoot may help the sport in general, I wouldn't mind if truely new shooters had to pay a bit more and have a ten-minute one-on-one session the first time they visit a range. Anyone whose unwilling to do that probably is going there for the wrong reasons anyways. I also think these rental ranges should have a much more closely monitored range rather than just some closed circuit TVs. An actual person should be standing monitoring the line with a hard-line absolute zero tolerance policy for safety violations.

Police say a surveillance video shows that the 24-year-old shot himself in the head while 'kind of fumbling around' with a handgun.

Not to belittle the mans tragic death, but he sounds like a surefire winner of the Darwin Award. [rolleyes]

yeah your right... Hate to pick on the guy after what happened but some people should just plain STAY AWAY FROM GUNS until they have some form of training.

I cringe at the range every time we have new hire classes we run through. Believe it or not the people that have NEVER fired guns before are actually easier to train because they have NO BAD HABITS to break and you can mold them how they need to be technique and safety wise. Its the people that already think they know what they are doing that make me cringe because they are the ones that have the bad habits engrained....

scary....

I like that ranges allow rentals like Manchester, but from what i've seen, the "instruction" is almost always nothing more than a "pull this back, point it that way and pull the trigger" and having them sign a list of ten gun safety rules. Muzzle sweeping is absurd and I cringe every few moments when i am waiting for lane time on the odd times that I go there. While getting the public to learn and get to shoot may help the sport in general, I wouldn't mind if truely new shooters had to pay a bit more and have a ten-minute one-on-one session the first time they visit a range. Anyone whose unwilling to do that probably is going there for the wrong reasons anyways. I also think these rental ranges should have a much more closely monitored range rather than just some closed circuit TVs. An actual person should be standing monitoring the line with a hard-line absolute zero tolerance policy for safety violations.

+1....I went to Manchester once. Sure, I had a great time while I was there...but boy oh boy - there were some SERIOUS safety violations there. I think it's a great place to introduce newbies to guns, but there needs to be more structure and training involved.

We have a great deal of shooters who attend our Open Shoot Night who did travel to the Firing Line but stopped due to the practices of some using the facility. While restricted to the Thursday at 7-9pm, they feel more comfortable even with the minor restrictions.

+1....I went to Manchester once. Sure, I had a great time while I was there...but boy oh boy - there were some SERIOUS safety violations there. I think it's a great place to introduce newbies to guns, but there needs to be more structure and training involved.

This is a classic problem at most pay ranges in america... most of
them don't have enough staff and don't have ROs that are always
out sauntering around behind the line, watching new people.
Thankfully much of the time violations are minor and you can
help someone out.... but a lot of the time these places can get
scary if they're filled with people who don't know what the hell
they're doing.

Pay ranges would be a lot safer if the people renting lanes were
at least forced to demonstrate some safety basics. I realize that's
not a cure-all, either, because some will gravitate back to bad
behavior, but it's a lot better than nothing. Some of the people
going to these pay ranges have never fired a gun in their
life.

-Mike

I went to manchester on a Saturday ONCE and will never make the mistake again. Both groups to the left and right of me got pulled off the line for blatent safety violations. I am sure i was being sweeped by loaded guns since they seem pretty tolerant of minor violations. I need to get a .500 S&W with max loads and a short barrel to clear the lanes next to me on short notice. Not too many first-time shooters would be able to tolerate the constant abuse of the concussion.

I need to get a .500 S&W with max loads and a short barrel to clear the lanes next to me on short notice. Not too many first-time shooters would be able to tolerate the constant abuse of the concussion.
Hell, at MFL that would get ME to leave! The acoustics there are terrible - much louder than many indoor ranges I've been to.

Still... there IS the coolness factor of being able to rent full auto guns. [hmmm]

Back
Top Bottom