Shooting firearms in rural areas in NH

I recently moved to NH and would like to know if anybody has any information on the laws that allows target shooting, etc in a rural area. Rather than having to go to a range every time. I do not own property yet in NH. So to be clear, I am talking about driving to an area where nobody lives near and finding a backstop to shoot.

Is this an option for gun owners in NH?

Honestly, joining a good range isn't expensive and its nice to shoot in a place that has good backstops and shade :)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Legal is not the same as polite or "a good idea".

I recently moved to NH and would like to know if anybody has any information on the laws that allows target shooting, etc in a rural area. Rather than having to go to a range every time. I do not own property yet in NH. So to be clear, I am talking about driving to an area where nobody lives near and finding a backstop to shoot. Is this an option for gun owners in NH?
Shooting on private land without permission may be legal, but it's definitely rude, and can draw police attention.

If you become really good friends with a local, after a few years they might show you their favorite sand pit. OTOH, joining a local F&G club is cheaper than picking up the tab for multiple rounds of drinks every Saturday night.

You can get an acre or two in the middle of nowhere cheap ($8-$15K). Clean it up a little each time you visit, and in a few years time you can sell it and maybe clear a profit even after property tax.

Last edited:
Shooting on private land without permission may be legal, but it's definitely rude, and can draw police attention.

If you become really good friends with a local, after a few years they might show you their favorite sand pit. OTOH, joining a local F&G club is cheaper than picking up the tab for multiple rounds of drinks every Saturday night.

You can get an acre or two in the middle of nowhere cheap ($8-$15K). Clean it up a little each time you visit, and in a few years time you can sell it and maybe clear a profit even after property tax.

Good points. Thank you for the link to the land. I'm going to look into it.

I recently moved to NH and would like to know if anybody has any information on the laws that allows target shooting, etc in a rural area. Rather than having to go to a range every time. I do not own property yet in NH. So to be clear, I am talking about driving to an area where nobody lives near and finding a backstop to shoot.

Is this an option for gun owners in NH?
it is. so far i've found two RSAs with regards to prohibited use of fire arms:
RSA 207:3-c -- no discharging within 15ft of a highway
RSA 644:13 -- compact areas, parks, 300ft radius, etc.

it should be legal anywhere else not specified.

i have been told by LE that although not illegal, a person could be charged with reckless conduct if the shooters' conduct may place another in danger of serious bodily injury. i am not aware of a case where a shooter has been charged with reckless conduct.

town of londonderry recently banned target shooting within musquash conservation. i think due to the residents in the area complaining of noise & littering. they threw in safety concerns to seal the deal. to be honest, i don't think it holds legal merit at the state level, however no one has challenged it yet.

point being, there is a risk of .gov ruining the fun if the shooting ground is too popular.
this question has been brought up a few times, and i've yet to see people name places.

Honestly, joining a good range isn't expensive and its nice to shoot in a place that has good backstops and shade :)

In NH right now most of the ranges that aren't crap are waitlisted, so good luck with that.

-Mike

How much acreage does the average club have? What would be an appropriate size parcel for a private range, one that isn't limited to 7yd pistol work?

1 acre of unimproved land for $8K? That's a little steep. It was only $2200/acre 3 years ago. Has land appreciated that much in NH?

1 acre of unimproved land for $8K? That's a little steep. It was only $2200/acre 3 years ago. Has land appreciated that much in NH?
You can still find prices like that... way north and either very large lots or with no road frontage, otherwise unsuitable for housing.

Generally something smaller than 11 acres and listed on MLS is going to be suitable for building a house -- road frontage, a successful perc test, and the like all increase the asking price.

Last edited:
In NH right now most of the ranges that aren't crap are waitlisted, so good luck with that.

-Mike

This is what I seem to be running into. I'm on a year waiting list. I used to frequent a 1,000 yard range in Texas with no problems and no waitlist. I'm trying to mitigate this problem now.

Can someone please PM me with a sandpit that I keep reading about on these forums? I'm in the Derry/Londonderry area. I'm willing to travel at least 30 minutes from here to get to a safe area as well if it is worth it.

Can someone please PM me with a sandpit that I keep reading about on these forums? I'm in the Derry/Londonderry area. I'm willing to travel at least 30 minutes from here to get to a safe area as well if it is worth it.

The above comment stands true... "If you become really good friends with a local, after a few years they might show you their favorite sand pit."

i have been told by LE that although not illegal, a person could be charged with reckless conduct if the shooters' conduct may place another in danger of serious bodily injury. i am not aware of a case where a shooter has been charged with reckless conduct.

town of londonderry recently banned target shooting within musquash conservation. i think due to the residents in the area complaining of noise & littering. they threw in safety concerns to seal the deal. to be honest, i don't think it holds legal merit at the state level, however no one has challenged it yet.

point being, there is a risk of .gov ruining the fun if the shooting ground is too popular.
this question has been brought up a few times, and i've yet to see people name places.

Last year there was a few younger guys shooting along power lines in Hooksett I believe, and their ricochets were hitting cars 1/2 mile away. They were brought up on charges. I haven't heard results from it though.

There is some state park land (Kearsarge/Sunapee/Pillsbury corridor) near our house in NH. People go up and shoot there all the time. There's very few people to even care. I suspect the only way to get in trouble would be to hit a critter out of season. We see moose and deer and foxes regularly, others have seen black bears and wildcats though I have not.

It'd be difficult to open a new outdoor range in Southern NH.

Anybody know of any new ranges getting set up? Seems like the time is ripe, considering all the current ranges are wait-listed.
It'd be difficult to open a new outdoor range in Southern NH. We have a range-protecting grandfather clause for noise complaints but this only helps existing ranges, not new ones.

Perhaps I will build my own sand pit. Or possibly move back to Texas. I'm not waiting a few years.
There are MANY place to shoot. As "Southern New Hampshire" is three or four thousand square miles, it's a little hard to help you as you haven't said where you live more does your profile.

"Hey, y'all, I live in Houston. What's a good pizza place?"

[Houston is over 600 sq mi]

Perhaps I will build my own sand pit. Or possibly move back to Texas. I'm not waiting a few years.

Not a bad idea, I built a backstop for .22 and handguns in my backyard. Easier than lugging everything to the local sand pits. All of the good clubs in my area are wait listed.

The problem is, good shooting spots get ruined and closed when they become public knowledge. I've seen it happen to a few of my favorite spots. It sucks.

There are MANY place to shoot. As "Southern New Hampshire" is three or four thousand square miles, it's a little hard to help you as you haven't said where you live more does your profile.

"Hey, y'all, I live in Houston. What's a good pizza place?"

[Houston is over 600 sq mi]

I live in Londonderry. If you can direct me to anywhere within a reasonable driving distance I would appreciate it. I haven't shot once since I moved here. I'm not a fan of the inside static ranges, but if that is all I have access to in the interim, then I will suck it up. But it is important to move around and shoot. I used to frequent a range called Best of The West in Texas that had bays you could rent out and pretty much do any sort of tactical training you can think of with up to an M4 without anyone breathing down your neck. The rifle range went out to 1,000 yards. Yes, the bar for me is high. But there has to be something comparable with all this land in NH that is legal, without having to sit on a 1 year wait list.

Last edited:
Not a bad idea, I built a backstop for .22 and handguns in my backyard. Easier than lugging everything to the local sand pits. All of the good clubs in my area are wait listed.

The problem is, good shooting spots get ruined and closed when they become public knowledge. I've seen it happen to a few of my favorite spots. It sucks.

Good for you. I'm going to look into property once this weather gets better. I'm thinking this is going to be the route to take.

it is. so far i've found two RSAs with regards to prohibited use of fire arms:
RSA 207:3-c -- no discharging within 15ft of a highway
RSA 644:13 -- compact areas, parks, 300ft radius, etc.

it should be legal anywhere else not specified.

Target shooting is not allowed in WMA's (wildlife management areas).

So in southern NH, where suitable shooting locations is already limited, it is even more restricted because there are many rather large WMA's with areas that would be great to shoot on otherwise.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/Rules/state_agencies/fis900.html

10) No person shall discharge a firearm on land or waters of a WMA except while hunting or trapping;

Good for you. I'm going to look into property once this weather gets better. I'm thinking this is going to be the route to take.

Hi.. I grew up in Londonderry and as a kid my uncle use to take me to the power lines and shoot his Mini M-14. Don't know if he had to call someone first but as a kid all I was
concerned about was taking a few shots from it.

I live in Londonderry. If you can direct me to anywhere within a reasonable driving distance I would appreciate it. I haven't shot once since I moved here. I'm not a fan of the inside static ranges, but if that is all I have access to in the interim, then I will suck it up. But it is important to move around and shoot. I used to frequent a range called Best of The West in Texas that had bays you could rent out and pretty much do any sort of tactical training you can think of with up to an M4 without anyone breathing down your neck. The rifle range went out to 1,000 yards. Yes, the bar for me is high. But there has to be something comparable with all this land in NH that is legal, without having to sit on a 1 year wait list.

I'm next door in Auburn, near the Londonderry line. There is often alot of gunfire coming from several directions near me on the weekends. I haven't figured out exactly where they're shooting yet. I've been scoping out the area on satellite maps,. Planning to hike out to a few spots to see what's up once the weather dries up.

When I was living in Idaho there was a gun club you could join that had a 1000 yard range. I never did join but I would go out to the National Forest to go shooting. There were a lot of informally established spots out there to shoot. USFS law enforcement would just drive on by and not even slow down. There was also a nice indoor range I'd go to and shoot in the indoor GSSF matches. It was a nice range but was only to 25 yards. Rifles were limited to a max of .223/5.56 It's a very nice range and fees were about 18 to 20 dollars for the day.

Target shooting is not allowed in WMA's (wildlife management areas).

So in southern NH, where suitable shooting locations is already limited, it is even more restricted because there are many rather large WMA's with areas that would be great to shoot on otherwise.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/Rules/state_agencies/fis900.html

10) No person shall discharge a firearm on land or waters of a WMA except while hunting or trapping;

Also, target shooting on DRED lands (http://www.dred.state.nh.us) is illegal...much to my consternation. I had a very nice private range on state land near my house until a couple of years ago when DRED signs showed up over night. NO target shooting allowed. Clueless and unsafe dickwads with guns and tree huggers are making it hard for us.

This is what I seem to be running into. I'm on a year waiting list. I used to frequent a 1,000 yard range in Texas with no problems and no waitlist. I'm trying to mitigate this problem now.

I belong to PFG. over 400 acres of varied shooting disciplines. No waiting list, but you're looking at about 3+ months for the process to become a full member. Safe, responsible and legal way for shooting enjoyment is a club. Gun clubs also offer awesome advanced weapons and safety training for short money. You will need a sponsor and I can help if you wish.

http://www.pelhamfishandgame.org/

When I was living in Idaho there was a gun club you could join that had a 1000 yard range. I never did join but I would go out to the National Forest to go shooting. There were a lot of informally established spots out there to shoot. USFS law enforcement would just drive on by and not even slow down. There was also a nice indoor range I'd go to and shoot in the indoor GSSF matches. It was a nice range but was only to 25 yards. Rifles were limited to a max of .223/5.56 It's a very nice range and fees were about 18 to 20 dollars for the day.

I just checked the 2010 census. Idaho is listed as the 44th most densely populated state in the U.S., with an average 19 people per sq mile. This might have something to do with the ease with which you were able to find a place to shoot out there. By comparison, this same census pegged NH with a per-square-mile average of 147 people, or 20th most densely populated U.S. state.

Incidentally, Massachusetts is the third most densely populated state with 835 M*ss-holes per square mile!!!

Back
Top Bottom