• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting firearms in rural areas in NH

a lot of informally established spots out there to shoot.
I just checked the 2010 census. Idaho is listed as the 44th most densely populated state in the U.S., with an average 19 people per sq mile. This might have something to do with the ease with which you were able to find a place to shoot out there. By comparison, this same census pegged NH with a per-square-mile average of 147 people, or 20th most densely populated U.S. state.
Neither state has their population uniformly distributed. New Hampshire has a lack of informally established spots out there to shoot for several reasons distinct from raw population density. Idaho has nearly 10x the land area of NH, is much less forested, etc.

I'm in S.NH and when I open the windows on a sunny Saturday morning I hear gunshots from multiple directions -- mostly people on their own property, but I'm pretty sure there's at least one informally established sandpit in-the-know locals use.

this may be a dumb question, but here goes.
how does one usually go about asking landowner for permission to shoot on their land?
do you go to town hall to find out who owns the place?
and then do you send them a letter, or just go ring their doorbell?

this may be a dumb question, but here goes.
how does one usually go about asking landowner for permission to shoot on their land?
do you go to town hall to find out who owns the place?
and then do you send them a letter, or just go ring their doorbell?

All the town halls have tax maps that will tell you who pays the taxes on that land...typically they don't have mailing addresses on the maps but the town clerk may be able to help you there. I've never rung a doorbell to ask to shoot on a stranger's land but I have asked to fish on private land plenty of times and have never been turned down...of course, shooting and fishing are vastly different (in some people's minds).

If you want to take a ride north there are many large gravel pits around Pittsburgh on land owned by paper companies.
Open to the public if the gates are open.

We shoot tons of trap, pistol and AR up there when we go bird hunting in October.
Plenty of room and if you drive up on a pit that's occupied you either wait or move onto the next one.
(And we pick up every spent hull and all our trash before we leave......)
Tons of fun...

I'm pretty happy that I just checked on google earth using the "ruler" and my three neighbors are all over 500 ft away from the edges of my property. Nice.

I'm next door in Auburn, near the Londonderry line. There is often alot of gunfire coming from several directions near me on the weekends. I haven't figured out exactly where they're shooting yet. I've been scoping out the area on satellite maps,. Planning to hike out to a few spots to see what's up once the weather dries up.
I hear it too, haven’t figured out where it’s coming from.

Can someone please PM me with a sandpit that I keep reading about on these forums? I'm in the Derry/Londonderry area. I'm willing to travel at least 30 minutes from here to get to a safe area as well if it is worth it.
Have you heard anything about any sand pits I’m in the same boat

Have you heard anything about any sand pits I’m in the same boat

new user, no location listed, and solicits information on someone's spot lol

Here is my canned shooting spot answer:

Not many people are going to provide a stranger their spot. That is how word spreads and things get shut down with irresponsible shooters.

Recommend you understand the requirements of RSAs 207:3A, 207:3c, and 644:13. Then do some map research for public land, then do some local town specific research on the land, then do some physical research of that land, then go safely enjoy yourself while cleaning up afterwards.

You can also buy land.

Back
Top Bottom