Shooting Gallery

N.E. CHARTERS

Banned
As I was driving down the Maine street of Old Orchard Beach, Maine yesterday I had a flashback to my formative years of my Grandfather, who worked as a Millwright in Lowell, MA would save all year to rent a one room cabin at the beach in Maine. A couple of years he brought me along to the wonderful place of Old Orchard where the entire downtown/Boardwalk was one big Midway amusement park.

They had great things like Candlepin Bowling & NOAH's Ark where you could sit on a real wood electric chair and get shocked & Mule Rides where the smell was memorable. and there was not one but TWO SHOOTING GALLERERYS!

Both shooting galleys had the old pump .22 rifles and you could shoot for a dime. That was 1 cent a shot. A lot of money so I made every shot count. I won a lot of cool things back then like pocket knives and ciggerette lighters, Cigars and every once in a while I would win back some cash wrapped around a pack of Luck Strikes. They had prizes sure to attract the youth of the day.

They Targets themselves were realy cool. One Gallery had a chin with metal ducks that would continuously reset themselves when you knocked them down. They had shipping stars and Clay Pipes that popped into dust when you hit them with the mighty .22 short.

The other Gallery was more serious. You had to break the sting with your shot or snuff out the candle flames for targets. But the prizes were better.

All of that cool stuff is gone. Now there are glitzy Discos and Starbucks type cofee shops and a different breed of tourist. Wouldnt it be great to bring back the Old Time Shooting Gallery? A whole new generation of kids could learn what fun it is to pop the clay pipes with a new Henry pump action and to win a Cigar.

Here are some plans that I found.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/01/02/build-an-air-rifle-shooting-gallery/

Anybody up for a Hobby over the winter?

build-an-air-rifle-shooting-gallery

hi-res

I wonder what the insurance would cost to run one of these at the Boardwalk?[shocked]

Last edited:
The set of plans is pretty cool, might be a nice father/son project to help get the kids interested in shooting.[smile]

Back
Top Bottom