Shooting glasses

So now that Carry Optics is a thing I find myself on the search for an optically correct pair of non-magnifying shooting glasses. Even the "good" standard safety glasses seem to have some distortion. Any suggestions for a pair that won't break the bank?

If you have optical insurance you can likely get a good pair from an optometrist for reasonable money. I got a pair with shooters yellow tint and have been very pleased.

Dave

Brian at Hunters Gold is great. I met him at this year's USPSA Nationals. He let me use a pair (the Guage) for the day (no charge) and these glasses were awesome. They were super clear and had the transition in them so darkened up a bit in the bright sun. I plan to buy a pair over the winter. Not 'cheap' but if you're of the school 'buy once, cry once', you'll only shed a small tear on these, but probably not need to buy again.

https://huntershdgold.com/

This has been on my mind a bit lately as well. I am going in to have the peepers checked this week. I have had a mild perscription for years that I never bothered with, but am thinking I will try and up my shooting game and buy a nice perscription pair of shooting glasses.

Recommendations? My ins wont cover, but I don't mind paying for quality. Anywhere i can go try them on in NE? I am a firm believer in proper fit making or breaking eyewear...

So to answer my own question I'm rockin the Smith Optic Aegis. Got the three lens mil-spec kit bnib for $60, or roughly 1/3 the third the price of Oakleys. A while ago I retired an older pair of Oakley M frames and they were great. Felt like wearing nothing, and the lens were clear and distortion free all the way around. Held up really well for a loong time as well. The Smiths seem to be almost as good. I just couldn't see dropping 2 bills + on a pair of safety glasses right now, so I could leave them on the tailgate or drop my range bag on them.

Yeah, I’ve been wondering about this topic too. Right now I wear a pair of 3M safety glasses I picked up at my local hardware store or an old pair of high quality non prescription sunglasses when it’s bright outside. My rx allow me to read street signs (and targets), but they make my front sight blurry, so I don’t wear them shooting. I’ve heard about people getting inverted bi-focal lenses and wonder if anyone has feedback on using them?

I just ordered a pair of the Wiley X P17 sunglasses through a safety equipment company in Wilmington that we use at work. IPP is the company. These are prescription and polarized lenses and it came to $214. Not bad. Especially since my work will cover 50%.

IPP had some cheaper safety glasses that weren’t as stylish as the Wiley X but they cost a fraction of the Wiley X. Good selection and great place to check out if you’re close by to Wilmington.

Kaenon. I was a huge Maui Jim fan for years until I stumbled upon Kaenon. They have essentially become my every day sunglasses and are great for skeet and clays because the orange clay just lights up. Their lenses are also lighter than the MJ’s, which was hard to believe.

They’re not cheap and are hard to find though.

.... I’ve heard about people getting inverted bi-focal lenses and wonder if anyone has feedback on using them?

I shoot with a pair of these and they're great. The lenses have the magnifier at the top inside corner of the lens. My distance vision is fine, so I wear one of the magnifier lenses on my dominant eye to bring the front sight into focus and a plain (no correction) lens on the other eye to see the target.

I shoot with a pair of these and they're great. The lenses have the magnifier at the top inside corner of the lens. My distance vision is fine, so I wear one of the magnifier lenses on my dominant eye to bring the front sight into focus and a plain (no correction) lens on the other eye to see the target.

Glad to hear they work for you. I'm waiting on a pair right now. Mine will be setup the same way, correction in the dominant eye, non corrected lens in the other.

I tried a pair of 1 power magnified safety glasses and they brought the front sight post into clear, crisp view so ordered a pair of SSP top focal glasses with the removeable lenses. Can't wait to try them out with a pistol.

I took my progressive lens prescription to an optometrist. He took my close prescription and my distance prescription and spit it in half and made my a pair of single vision safety glasses with side shields. Now my front sight is in perfect focus.

I'm an older guy who only wears cheaters to read indoors and do close up work, My eye doc said no prescription was necessary at this time. I went with the inverted bifocal, for about $60, and they work great for me. They came with 3 different colored lenses, when different lighting conditions exist. TOP FOCAL TACTICAL

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom