• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting gloves

bigpick

NES Member
So the cold weather is upon us and I'm looking into getting a pair of gloves for shooting. I'd also like the gloves to be used for everyday wear while carrying too. Is there a pair of gloves that works well for both the range and everyday?

I have some hatch cold weather “shooting” gloves. Usually I shovel with them. They’re somewhere in between cold weather gloves and thin gloves that preserve dexterity. They have leather grip areas and a synthetic back area.

They’re relatively cheap and not perfect for either purpose but I like them.

I've been having some good luck with Milwaukee Performance gloves. They fit very snug on the fingers, with plenty of palm room. The inside palm has reinforced suede, which helps.

I can get a good grip on a small Shield in a concealed holster and my fingers can get inside the trigger guard nicely without the extra glove finger tip bending over, if that makes sense. On my full size Beretta 92FS, it is even easier.

Plus I can still use them with smartphone as they have "Smartswipe" touch screen compatible. They have a nice strong pull tab and have velcro closure tabs. Very comfortable. I don't think they will do well in the real cold, but they will end up being a decent 3 season glove.

Purchased at Home Depot for around $15.

I'm still looking for something exactly like these, but for much colder weather.

Jay

flYTJHn.jpg

GCs6QCR.jpg

3hgmatN.jpg

I have a pair of Mechanix gloves (the original) that I use for moving stuff, etc and now I picked up a second pair that I wanna throw in my go bag wtih my AR pistol. I'm gonna be trying them on while I'm at the range to see how they are with shooting.

I wish Mechanix (or anyone really...) made some tactical/shooting gloves in women’s sizes though :( or wish that at least men's gloves came in XS... most companies don't make XS, not that it would really fit since the fit won't be the same anyway.

Last edited:
Another vote for Mechanix Gloves. The original tactical covert or the high dexterity covert tactical are excellent.
They are both durable and have some decent cold-insulation. They are also good winter driving gloves
incitdentally I wear mechanix padded wear gloves with nitrile gloves underneath for heavy winter snow blowing. I've broken in all of my mechanix gloves shoveling in the winter.

Another vote for Mechanix Gloves.
Another vote for Mechanix Gloves.

What are you, some kind of Democrat? :)

I'm reasonably fond of my Magpull Technical Gloves, although I haven't used them that often for either, and I understand they are reported to have some longevity problems. But cheap, good fit and I can use my cell phone, I've used them shooting, driving, and wandering around.

I like the Carhartt Tri Grip C-Grip but they don't make-em anymore,So try to find the right size sux,But everyonce in a while they Pop up and I grab-em,for spares

I have a old pair of FootJoy winter golf gloves I bought in 2005. They are warm for most normal daily stuff until it gets deep cold.

nancy pelosi wears mechanix...as do i. i got them to wear on my right hand when i shoot short barreled large caliber revolvers to save on knuckle bruises but found they were adequate for cold weather wear most of the time. i certainly wouldn't wear them out in sub zero temps for a hour or more while clearing a driveway but work for being out and about and shooting when it's cold. i don't care if people think i'm a wanna be operator. i'm an old guy who breathes funny and walks with a limp. folks just try to get out of my way rather than check out my fashion faux pas.

I wear mechanix originals year round for trap. In the summer, they give me a good grip and soak up all the hand sweat, and in the winter they do a pretty reasonable job keeping my hands warm.

Good fit and range of motion, too. Only problem is my current pair have soaked up so much sweat this summer that they stink like hell and no amount of washing is getting it out. Need to pick up a new pair.

I have a pair of Mechanix gloves (the original) that I use for moving stuff, etc and now I picked up a second pair that I wanna throw in my go bag wtih my AR pistol. I'm gonna be trying them on while I'm at the range to see how they are with shooting.

I wish Mechanix (or anyone really...) made some tactical/shooting gloves in Women's sizes though :( or wish that at least men's gloves came in XS... most companies don't make XS, not that it would really fit anyway since the fit won't be the same anyway.

Q-Series Shooting Gloves

Maybe these?

I have a old pair of FootJoy winter golf gloves I bought in 2005. They are warm for most normal daily stuff until it gets deep cold.

I won't buy gloves that i can't try on. While i like the mechanic gloves for actual work gloves, I think they are terrible for shooting gloves, there isn't enough feeling the trigger. The Titleist / footjoy gloves offer superior finger feeling, and are available at most any sporting goods store

I wear mechanix originals year round for trap. In the summer, they give me a good grip and soak up all the hand sweat, and in the winter they do a pretty reasonable job keeping my hands warm.

Good fit and range of motion, too. Only problem is my current pair have soaked up so much sweat this summer that they stink like hell and no amount of washing is getting it out. Need to pick up a new pair.
Try some scent shield, the only thing that worked on my sons football cleats...

I know these work for knives but they look like they should work for shooting.

0630-oj-simpson-nbc-football-coverage-black-leather-gloves-getty-4.jpg

I've used Mechanix with success. They can take some wearing to get the dexterity you want, but after that they fit like a glove. I've also used UnderArmor gloves with some success but I didn't find them to be all that comfortable.

If you don't want the tacticool look try a pair of Nomex flight gloves. They're not pretty but they are low profile, thin enough to use a touch screen, and incidentally make great winter driving gloves.

Last edited:
If you don't want the tacticool look try a pair of Nomex flight gloves. They're not pretty but they are low profile, thin enough to use a touch screen, and incidentally make great winter diving gloves.

My mechanix originals work with a touch screen as well, in case anyone is actually concerned about such things. Not well, but they do work.

I'm reasonably fond of my Magpull Technical Gloves, although I haven't used them that often for either, and I understand they are reported to have some longevity problems. But cheap, good fit and I can use my cell phone, I've used them shooting, driving, and wandering around.

Huh?

I have a couple of pairs of Magpul gloves but all of them have poor stitches or large seams right at the finger tips or at the base of the finger tips. Especially the models that have leather fingertips, it makes it really uncomfortable and also less durable. I've also found they provide minimal warmth.

I know these work for knives but they look like they should work for shooting.

0630-oj-simpson-nbc-football-coverage-black-leather-gloves-getty-4.jpg

I've used Mechanix with success. They can take some wearing to get the dexterity you want, but after that they fit like a glove. I've also used UnderArmor gloves with some success but I didn't find them to be all that comfortable.

The Juice used Aris Isotoner Leather Lights during the cold weather broadcast of NFL games. He also used them for some other not so friendly interactions with a couple of "humans". Rage and anger management issues for sure.

Has anyone used Aris Isotoner Leather Lights (or similiar) for shooting during cold weather?

Jay

I ride, have similar dexterity and "touch screen" concerns. I found that for both shooting and riding baseball batting gloves work rather well. Thin, snug, enough palm padding , and give a layer of protection against wind and cold. There are TONS of color combos available. I cut a small hole in the pad of the index finger so allow contact with electronics, newer ones may be "enabled", dunno. You can always cut the tip off. I don't play golf, but I imagine the concerns are similar there.

@minininjer There are "petite" baseball players and golfers, maybe try a sporting goods store? Just not Dicks...

Back
Top Bottom