• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting older ammo

Catoperat

NES Member
I did a search and came up with 500+ threads with old + ammo in it. Being lazy, I will ask again(?)...

My father found some .38sp and .357 in the basement. Some are factory, some are reloads. He guesses they are from the mid 1980's. The lead on some of the bullets is slightly oxidized and the brass is mildly tarnished. The bullets are assorted jacketed and semi-jacketed flat & hollow points.

Anyone see any problem with or had any experience with shooting older rounds like these? It would only be into paper and pallets.

I am just looking to give this stuff a proper burial. [smile]

Thanks!

Last edited:
I did a search and came up with 500+ thread with old and ammo in it. Being lazy, I will ask again(?)...

My father found some .38sp and .357 in the basement. Some is factory some are reloads. He guesses they are from the mid 1980's. The lead on some of the bullets is slightly oxidized and the brass is mildly tarnished. The bullets are assorted jacketed and semi-jacketed flat & hollow points.

Anyone see any problem with or had any experience with shooting older rounds like these? It would only be into paper and pallets.

Thanks!

I have a bunch of Buffalo .427 that are that vintage. The are covered in white funk. Shoot great.

I've got an ammo can 1/2 full of .357 wadcutters that my grandfather used for practice when he was a LEO (and later CLEO) years ago. This ammo is getting oxidized, but still shoots great.

I did have one squib though.

I've shot ammo left over from the 1940s and even earlier. It depends on the condition of the ammo, not the age.

As long as you don't see nasty corrosion you're just fine.

I fired some 30-06 a couple of years ago that was made in the 40s.. it worked
just fine.

-Mike

I did a search and came up with 500+ threads with old + ammo in it. Being lazy, I will ask again(?)... My father found some .38sp and .357 in the basement. Some are factory, some are reloads. He guesses they are from the mid 1980's. The lead on some of the bullets is slightly oxidized and the brass is mildly tarnished. The bullets are assorted jacketed and semi-jacketed flat & hollow points. Anyone see any problem with or had any experience with shooting older rounds like these? It would only be into paper and pallets. I am just looking to give this stuff a proper burial. [smile] Thanks!
Proper burial? Shoot it. [wink] Have IMI (headstamp TZZ) in .45 ACP from 1984. Just shot a batch yesterday...no problem. Have, also in .45 white box Win. "match grade". Used some during this past summer. No problem. These were military issue to team members. In .22, myself and my wife are using Rem. that goes back to the early 80's, and also PMC....same timeframe. The Rem is in those old plastic cases with the sliding cover, 50 per container. No problems. Have "Lake City" 30.06 going back to "whenever. When I sometimes use it, no problem. Unless something appears to be totally damaged or corroded, there should be no problem. Yup, digging into my stash rather than paying current prices. [wink]

Ray-500, I miss that FREE....45acp Military Match Ammo. I've still got some too! As to old ammo, shoot it all. I only really check it for obvious damage and or corrosive status...

Grin, you know what I'm talking about. Team members were given plenty to practice with, and as long as you qualified for the team, you had a goodly supply. Used the white box Win (match grade) but really preferred the IMI, headstamp TZZ. Had better results. Never got "Distinguished", but had fun trying. Still using both the Win and IMI that I had stashed away. It all functions and shoots with no problem. [wink]

I was in a gun store in Vermont and a guy came in with a bag of old ammo and asks the guy behind the counter, "I found this cleaning out my basement, how can I get rid of it?" Guy behind the counter studies a round and says, "well, if you have a 410 shotgun you can shoot it." True Yankee ingenuity at work there. [smile]

I would avoid the reloads. Who knows if they were done right or wrong. Maybe they're a pile of mistakes!

Huh? I do it all the time and never had a problem. There was a very extensive discussion on this a few months ago. Several people on this board ran some tests. The conclusion was there was no effect on the ammo.

The only effect is that the ammo comes out "pristine". [wink]

I did a search and came up with 500+ threads with old + ammo in it. Being lazy, I will ask again(?)...

My father found some .38sp and .357 in the basement. Some are factory, some are reloads. He guesses they are from the mid 1980's. The lead on some of the bullets is slightly oxidized and the brass is mildly tarnished. The bullets are assorted jacketed and semi-jacketed flat & hollow points.

Thanks!

I'd imagine ~20-30 year old ammo should be OK in a revolver. I have some old 8mm I bought in these canvas belts which looks OK enough, but I imagine is from the 50's at least. Hmmm.

Thanks!
pm me if interested in getting rid of them in case you are not interested in shooting them. my buddy has a few single action guns we use for that....but i can honestly say that you shouldnt have a problem shooting them yourself. i am shooting ammo that i reloaded back in the early 1990s...and have no problems with it.

Last edited:
pm me if interested in getting rid of them in case you are not interested in shooting them. my buddy has a few single action guns we use for that....but i can honestly say that you shouldnt have a problem shooting them yourself. i am shooting ammo that i reloaded back in the early 1990s...and have no problems with it.

Neither have I. Have some military match-grade .45 ACP circa 1978. Still functions flawlessly. Have some Lake City 30.06 going back to the 60's. No problem. Sure, the brass gets tarnished, but its no biggie to give it a cleaning before firing a batch. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom