Shooting on your own property in NH

So when I look at this lot - 21 Acres, for the most part only a couple of house near my, most at the bottom and one off the top

Lot 54 Keewaydin.JPG

Middle section is more than 1200 ft between roads and equally from middle it is 600+ feet on either side to a dwelling.

Thought I heard something else about land being deemed "Green Zones" or something like that

So when I look at this lot - 21 Acres, for the most part only a couple of house near my, most at the bottom and one off the top

View attachment 179276

Middle section is more than 1200 ft between roads and equally from middle it is 600+ feet on either side to a dwelling.

Thought I heard something else about land being deemed "Green Zones" or something like that

Green zone AFAIK is related to firewood - only wood from a "green zone" can be taken across state lines into VT or ME? https://www.nhdfl.org/forest-health/firewood/

If you set up a good backstop, I think you'll be all set on the 21 Acre plot.

I'm pretty happy that I just checked on google earth using the "ruler" and my three neighbors are all over 500 ft away from the edges of my property. Nice.

how far north would I have to move to make these requirements feasible? I can't imagine Nashua or any of the border towns having plot sizes that would allow home shooting.

Move west. I'm on 6acres. No issues. Half of my neighbors shoot pretty regularly.

I shoot suppressed .22 on 3 acres. I used google maps, the town GIS map, and walked the woods in every direction before setting up a berm on the bottom of a wooded hillside that satisfies the legal requirements and my own safety requirements.

I'm in between Concord and Portsmouth and I shoot on my 6 acres all the time. On any given nice weekend the whole neighborhood is shooting.
I live in Amherst, and a lot of people shoot on their property within the town limits. Karens on the town FB page bitch from time to time, but the general consensus is Fox Oscar, Karen.

I live in Amherst, and a lot of people shoot on their property within the town limits. Karens on the town FB page bitch from time to time, but the general consensus is Fox Oscar, Karen.
I had literal Karens moaning about my shooting in Bedford on NextDoor last year. The reactions pretty much summed up the 50/50 political split in NH. Half the women were saying it's loud and dangerous and scares their precious little baby dogs and the other half were basically saying "Live Free or Die. Don't like it? Leave". I reached out to the woman who started the post to introduce myself and assure her that I shoot safely and her response was actually really reasonable. She said she never intended to start a big commotion, believes it's my right to shoot on my own property, and stated that she and her husband are gun owners too. Then she deleted the post. Since then I got my stamp and suppressor and nobody even knows I'm shooting anymore. Occasionally I'll shoot the Brown Bess to just for shits and giggles.

do I need permission from homeowners within that 300'.
seems pretty straightforward in the law, 300 feet requires permission
Can't shoot firearms in the "compact part" at all.

Here's the bit about permission:
RSA 207:3-a said:
“It is unlawful for a person to discharge a firearm or a .22 caliber or larger air rifle when used for hunting purposes or to shoot with a bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission of the owner or the occupant of the dwelling or from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm or shooting the bow and arrow is situated.”
Clearly the 300 feet is where you stand, not the impact zone; when you are the landowner, you've given yourself permission.

I can't speak for NH but here in MA you're good to go as long as you're 150' from a road and 500' from an occupied house. (But if you have permission from the home owner you're good.)
In my area there are so many back yard shooters on a weekend and some week nights it sounds like Baghdad.

Sound like we need to have a NH shoot.
Anyone looking to make friends, we recently moved and are just east of 93 and 101.
Members forum has announcements for NES meetups, including NH

NH are generally local tavern meet-and-greet events, several of us have talked about doing a summer event at the usual place, but haven't set a date, time. I've also proposed doing a cigar meetup at Twins in Londonderry.

Last edited:
Help me understand Andy. I was told that I could shot within 300' of a house as long as I am discharging and rounds landing on my property and not in the direction of a house into a backstop. Is that correct or do I need permission from homeowners within that 300'.
Are you good to go now?
Others have provided some great information.
300' in every direction is just over 8 acres.

Are you good to go now?
Others have provided some great information.
300' in every direction is just over 8 acres.

Keep in mind that you need to be 300' from an occupied dwelling, not the property line. This is how I am able to legally shoot on 3 acres. From where I shoot, there are no occupied dwellings within 300' of me, but the street is 200 feet directly behind me and the neighbor's property starts right on the other side of the street. Luckily his house is over 300' away, it's the opposite direction from where I am shooting and my house is between us. All other houses are WELL over 300' from where I shoot. I limit myself to .22 and keep it safe and quiet because I do realize that 3 acres is pushing it and I don't want the law to ever change. If we had the same requirements as Mass I'd be shit out of luck.

The police and people aren't gonna give a crap, one way or another, as long as you are following the required laws to do so.

This ain't MA ya know. People don't call the cops because of a fart in the wind. :)
Our neighbors are trying to file disorderly conduct charges on us for target practicing in our back yard, in rural NH. Cops were called.

Our neighbors are trying to file disorderly conduct charges on us for target practicing in our back yard, in rural NH. Cops were called.
I'm assuming you're 300+' from their house? Are you shooting in the middle of the night? Rounds staying on your property?

I'm assuming you're 300+' from their house? Are you shooting in the middle of the night? Rounds staying on your property?
@cyndilynnm205 hopefully has read all the posts upthread, especially the discussions about "compact part" and safe backstops.

Sometimes folk new to NH try to sic the cops on their neighbors, I've heard of a couple such incidents in Bedford, which ultimately went nowhere.

With the presumption that you are legal:
Get the report from the cops.
If they repeatedly call the cops on you for conducting legal (and safe) activities, it can eventually become harassment by them.

Back
Top Bottom