• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting trap

peterk123

NES Member
Gonna try it tomorrow if it's not snowing. Local club does a trap shoot on Sundays. I only have an auto. How pissed are the people going to be standing next to me? I read that you can use a rubber band to stop the empties from flying. Does it work?

At my club they don't care at all. But at the end when it comes time to rake up the shells, you should probably help 🤣.
Good luck! I enjoy trap over skeet because it's more relaxing, less competitive and is alot more social imo

Nobody cares that it's semi-auto. Some places are more relaxed than others about picking up your shells, it's good etiquette to do so.

Do NOT load more than two rounds at a time. If you're doing single/single/double, load for the singles first - both of them, then load for the double. Action open at end of each run.

Nobody cares that it's semi-auto. Some places are more relaxed than others about picking up your shells, it's good etiquette to do so.

Do NOT load more than two rounds at a time. If you're doing single/single/double, load for the singles first - both of them, then load for the double. Action open at end of each run.
If he's shooting trap he should only be loading 1 at a time.

Or am I missing something

That's skeet shooting not trap shooting

Unless he's shooting Doubles Trap, but as a first time, that's doubtful.

OP - good luck.

If you're shooting a SA, and people are d!cks, find a new place to shoot. If everyone has a fancy $$$$ shottie, get a shell catcher, if it's ejecting at people. A lot of SA shotties throw them far enough forward that it's a non-issue.

Just remember that the only target that counts is the one you just called for. There is only one bird.

Unless he's shooting Doubles Trap, but as a first time, that's doubtful.

OP - good luck.

If you're shooting a SA, and people are d!cks, find a new place to shoot. If everyone has a fancy $$$$ shottie, get a shell catcher, if it's ejecting at people. A lot of SA shotties throw them far enough forward that it's a non-issue.

Just remember that the only target that counts is the one you just called for. There is only one bird.
Thanks. I will get there a little early, offer to help setup and ask to be walked through the process.

What a bummer... there was nobody there. I really wanted to try it out. So we set up the launcher instead. Since I'm almost 100% with straight away clays it was time to mix it up. Set it up kind of going across the shooter but quartering away. Man, that changed the game! I think I went 60%. Depending when I could catch up to the clay, the lead was almost nothing or three feet plus.

I also need to start trying a tighter choke. I think I'm using improved cylinder, but don't quote me. I think I have a modified and a full.

Ya, I'm all in on this clay shooting thing. Great, between this, handguns, rifle and archery we will be at the range every day. Too bad it's not along the river so I could fish while I'm there 😎

Keep your finger off the trigger until your barrels up a little,.. and don't look at others trigger fingers

Back
Top Bottom