• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting tripods, what are you all using for your rifles?

Cuz

NES Member
So I don't have a tripod for my rifle, which means I "need" one. With Black Friday just around the corner, I need to get all the research done and be ready to pull the trigger before the sales start.
What are you all using for tripods? What kind of head, ball or level? or are you just dropping a bag on top of the headless tripod?

This is for range use, and possible competitions if they allow it, rimfire caliber, no hunting.
Tripod research is all over the place, just way too many options and decisions. Right now, the Athlon Midas is looking the best, simply because it includes both heads, and all the accessories you need, so you don't have to make any decisions. Currently considering the Midas CF36 kit.

Or, maybe just go with a more robust Leofoto LN-364C without any head and just put my GameChanger bag on top to shoot from. It looks like a fairly large stable platform.
The Vortex Radian looks like a good deal with the EuroOptic Veteran's Day sale going on, but then I have to decide if I want a Ball or Leveling head and I'm not sure I'm ready to make that decision without any experience using either.

There's a bunch of other tripod options, but I don't want to spend more on a shooting tripod than I did on my rifle or optic.

So, what are you using? What works and what doesn't? Where are the best deals?

Thanks.

I’m in the same boat, seems you got a large group that runs the bog death grip. But I’m attracted to the Vortex Radian Carbon with the ball head and possible arca rail

IMG_20230902_195133_153.jpg
IMG_20220816_165855_301.jpg
IMG_20210919_222044_964.jpg

Ive used a few, shadowtech, rrs, and Manfrotto.

I prefer Manfrotto carbon tripods, i modified mine by chopping the riser for shooting prone, i use Sunwayfoto or RRS ballheads. Arca rail is the way, i swapped everything over to arca its way faster and more secure than hogsaddles, that said hogsaddles are still great.

I run Arca on everything but I ran it on my tripods for camera gear too before rifles.

My Gitzo and Manfrotto tripods will stand up to any of the newer stuff. RRS is also top tier.

Plenty of Chinese copies now too. Leofoto is a big one, and probably the most popular Chinese knock off brand.

Innorel from Amazon.
NT364c / g54 head

I shot from it a few times (vudoo rimfire) in practice but never had to use it in a match setting, but it's stable as f*** for my baller Leica binoculars

As far as I can tell Leofoto, Innorel, Sunwayfoto, Two Vets are all Chinese copies of RRS. Find a style you like and just look for the cheapest one, they’re probably all made in the same factory with different stickers on em.

Bigger tubes and fewer steps = more stable for shooting. Ball heads for spotting, bowl heads for shooting. YMMV.

Innorel from Amazon.
NT364c / g54 head

I shot from it a few times (vudoo rimfire) in practice but never had to use it in a match setting, but it's stable as f*** for my baller Leica binoculars
That looks surprisingly similar to the Leofroto setup I just paid twice as much for…

If you actually use it, i can promise you that a cheap tripod/ball is, in fact, not just as good.
I don’t think anyone is saying a $125 Chinese knockoff is as good as a $1200 RRS. Or that a $40 ball head is just as good as an Anvil-30 ball head. I thought he meant that pretty much all the cheap Chinese knockoffs are about the same.

But, then again, I could be wrong, which seems to happen a lot.

I don’t think anyone is saying a $125 Chinese knockoff is as good as a $1200 RRS. Or that a $40 ball head is just as good as an Anvil-30 ball head. I thought he meant that pretty much all the cheap Chinese knockoffs are about the same.

But, then again, I could be wrong, which seems to happen a lot.
Nope you’ve got it exactly right

Ah gotcha. So far i think shadowtech has been the best bang for the buck i have used. That said i broke one of their carbon fiber ones.

Bogen , since 1988, for resting in between shots. 381813693_636007371908082_8027557625360433700_n (2).jpg With al bar stock a spotting scope can be used without any second tripod. Am planning a second setup for my son and/or any new comers.

View attachment 815781
View attachment 815785
View attachment 815786

Ive used a few, shadowtech, rrs, and Manfrotto.

I prefer Manfrotto carbon tripods, i modified mine by chopping the riser for shooting prone, i use Sunwayfoto or RRS ballheads. Arca rail is the way, i swapped everything over to arca its way faster and more secure than hogsaddles, that said hogsaddles are still great.
+1 for the Sunwayfoto ball head and ARCA rail.

For a tripod I use the Hog Saddle PIG field tripod which is an improved version of a SLIK pro type tripod. Pretty good value and does what I need. I'm not planning on hoofing it very far, so aluminum is just fine vs. the much more expensive carbon fiber versions.

PIG0311-G Field Shooting Tripod, OD Green

Has anyone tried a gimbal mount?

E.g.

1699881499996.png

Would those make any sense?

I have both a ball mount and a gimbal ... photography. More bulky but might give it a shot.

I’m using one of those Chinese knockoffs: Sirui AM-284. It works well enough. I bought it specifically because of its weight and height. It’s tall enough for me to shoot standing, and no taller. Lots of tripods are either too short or too tall for me. Yes, I don’t need to extend them all the way, but unnecessary weight is a pet peeve when I can control it.

I don’t recall the head at the moment. It was a Japanese tripod head and is sturdy, but a little clumsy in the controls because it’s not designed for rifle use. Honestly, I’d probably go with a Two Vets head if I did it again.

The Sunwayfoto saddle was picked up for instances when I didn’t have an ARCA rail on a particular gun. But I don’t think the saddle is necessary anymore after playing with it. Just slapping a bag on top of the tripod seems just as good, but faster.

6275C262-71DA-42E3-A2FB-790042405E59.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m using one of those Chinese knockoffs: Sirui AM-284. It works well enough. I bought it specifically because of its weight and height. It’s tall enough for me to shoot standing, and no taller. Lots of tripods are either too short or too tall for me. Yes, I don’t need to extend them all the way, but unnecessary weight is a pet peeve when I can control it.

I don’t recall the head at the moment. It was a Japanese tripod head and is sturdy, but a little clumsy in the controls because it’s not designed for rifle use. Honestly, I’d probably go with a Two Vets head if I did it again.

The Sunwayfoto saddle was picked up for instances when I didn’t have an ARCA rail on a particular gun. But I don’t think the saddle is necessary anymore after playing with it. Just slapping a bag on top of the tripod seems just as good, but faster.

View attachment 817229
Sirui may be Chinese but I’m not sure I’d call them a knockoff 😂

Back
Top Bottom