• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting While pregnant

I wouldn't shoot while pregnant, nor would I clean or otherwise handle a gun in any way that lead could get on my skin. IMO, she should reschedule the class for after the baby has arrived. It's not worth the risk, however slight it may be.

I wouldn't shoot while pregnant, nor would I clean or otherwise handle a gun in any way that lead could get on my skin. IMO, she should reschedule the class for after the baby has arrived. It's not worth the risk, however slight it may be.
Agreed, it's not worth it.[grin]

I am 7 months pregnant and I asked my doctor about the lead and the sound. My doc is Pro 2A.

The sound is very detrimental to the development of the hearing. Any kind of loud noises that cause intense vibrations ( such as shooting ) can cause a disturbance in the development of the hair inside the babies ears which is what we hear with. I do not suggest shooting, even that far along. Babies continue to develop and fine tune even after they are born.

Lead can be an issue when handled by the mother even after birth.

Safest thing is not for her to shoot.

I go through a ton of them when working on my cars or cleaning my guns. I get them from McMaster.com, for about $12/100.

Nitrile Industrial Gloves - $5.49/box at

http://www.med-express.com/disposable-glove-prices.html

Although I usually save the nitrile just for working with solvents, and stick to the PREMIUM GOLD -
Powdered Latex Exam Gloves - $3.99/box

This place even used to have free shipping when you bought a case.. not any longer, sadly.

What about a pellet gun? Much quieter. Yeah, one still has to handle lead, but I know I had to handle much worse stuff (aka "crap") after the kid was born. I would just not use a steel trap--I tried one out in my basement, and it definately made lead particles. I switched back to cardboard in a cardboard box for a backstop.

4.5 more months without shooting is definitely worth the peace of mind knowing that the "what ifs" are not "what ifs".

If she still wants to get the certificate, and doesnt mind missing out on live fire, the class I took at MFS had no live fire, just the simulator thing.

I would assume that shooting while pregnant would be equivalent to exposing the baby's ears unprotected to the sound. The little guy/girl doesn't have any hearing protection on in there! That and the lead would make it a no-go imo.

I've put pregnant women through the classroom part (i.e. Home Firearm Safety) and given them the certificate. I've told them after the baby is born to call me and I take them back to the range for the shooting part. It's worked out fine for all involved.

Thanks for all the good input. My wife did some of her own research after I relayed some of the info here and to be safe she's decided not to shoot until she's had the baby AND done nursing (which she does until 12 months old), so I know it's safest for all involved, but I am a bit bummed she won't be shooting until July 2010 at the earliest.

Thanks again.

Probably the safest thing to do. I am in the med field and would concur with most of the postings. The lead exposure of handling a cleaned firearm is so small as to be insignificant. Skin is a wonderful barrier and does not let most things through easily. However, some solvents that are more easily absorbed because of their ability to disolve into oil (read fat in our bodies) should be avoided. Although exposure would be minimal it would still not be worth the risk to the fetus. The most critical time is the first trimester when most birth defects occur but even later in the pregnancy development may be affected. Lead exposure from inhalation (from shooting) would definetely be a no no. As far as the noise goes, that is a little less clear, however there are studies that relate noisy, stressful environments with more irratable infants and quiet peaceful environments with less irratability. Bottom line, the safety class without shooting would probably be ok. The nitrile gloves would be a good suggestion especially if in the first trimester. Forget the shooting until after. Can understand not wanting to involve the doctor since almost all the OB/GYN doctors I work with are flaming liberals. (Oh MY! You have a GUN in your house and you have a BABY...yeah, avoid that conversation because it is none of their business)

Back
Top Bottom